d123

Separated shoulder - Check list for getting back into air

Hi,

2 months ago I had a separated shoulder from a snowboard accident. I got operated, a metal plate and 4 screws into my right shoulder. Recovery it's going well, I almost got the mobility back. I'm trying to put together a check list for getting back into the sky. If anybody had a similar experience and can tip in to the check list I would really appreciate it.

Regards,
Jean-Arthur Deda.
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

Non-skydivers, they don't practice any sports plus one of them wins financially if I stay longer in the therapy. They might be well intended, key word might, but I'm looking to build a un-biased check list from people with 1st hand experience to my condition.

If it rings a bell I can compare my experience with someone who had a dislocated shoulder and got back in the sky.

So far I've put together:
- Full mobility with almost 0 pain
- Being able to do 10 push-ups
- Being able to do 10 pull-ups
- PLF on the right side

I think that should cover hop&pops and some belly work. I'm not even considering a check-list for free-fly.

right shoulder ??/ or left???

your report of doing push-up and pull-ups is encouraging... the return of strength is a Good thing..
but do not forget Range of motion and flexibility...

you certainly need to be able to reach your pilot chute.. easily and without difficulty...

put on your rig, lie on a clean carpet.. simulate a track, a wave and a Pull sequence.... then ask someone to help you by pushing your rig Uphill towards your shoulders.. and be sure that even THEN.. you can roll your arm Up and behind you... to GET to the PC handle:o:|[:/]

In my case, i found that move was very hard to do, and so had my BOC changed over to Left side deployment....in order to head off any problems...( i had my right shoulder dislocate, during a pre-gripped exit off the tailgate of a CASA.. the chunk tumbled and the guy on my right shoulder grip... HUNG on,, and then backlooped !!! B|:S:(:o.. the arm was flapping in the breeze... above my head and i could NOT make it come down to touch my hackey...... PUlled my reserve left handed, at 3 Grand ). later had surgery, but still Not 100 %...

good luck to you.
ps plan to continue with the physical therapy for the forseeable future..:)
jmy

Recovery it's going well, I almost got the mobility back. I'm trying to put together a check list for getting back into the sky. If anybody had a similar experience and can tip in to the check list I would really appreciate it.

To be safe, wouldn't one want to get another scan done and get a Doctor's release? I'm just sayin' Good luck.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

Hi Jimmy,

I'm not doing push-ups, I plan to be able to do them before considering re-packing my reserve, like a check list.

Thanks for your advices, it's the right shoulder.