Dukemehnard

Wanting to get into the sport and moving to UK soon

So I'm planning on doing my tandem jump at the start of june (school's keeping me busy before then) and provided I don't have some sort of horrific life-scarring trauma during the jump I want to start training for a license.

However, come September I'll be moving from Austin Texas to Saint Andrews in Scotland so I'm confused as to what I have to do to get a license there, if I should bother with USPA here, etc. Since it's cheaper here, I'll be doing AFF in Austin over the summer, and provided I enjoy the sport I'll look into buying equipment across the pond. Is the US's AFF equivalent to the BPA's? Any sort of international license? Thanks for your help!

-A helpless whuffo (as the term seems to be here)

Hi Duke, it depends on many factors; how far you get in the training or your post-student jumping, how well it is all documented, your attitude and the attitude of the people who make the decisions when you come to the UK. The USPA A licence is broadly equivalent to the BPA A Licence (although we have a mandatory hop and pop for level 8 and mandatory Canopy Handling (CH) requirements) plus a Formation Skydiving qualification post-student status to enable you to jump with non-coaches (or their equivalents). You'll likely be encouraged to transition to the BPA system of licencing so you'll be required to do whatever you can't adequately prove what you may have already done.

USPA membership is not valid in the UK since we require the equivalent of €1.3M in third-party liability insurance to jump here and the USPA's $50k won't cover that so you will need to join the BPA. Whether you get USPA membership in the States is most likely down to the DZ you learn at over there.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

I've heard that people who get part-way through a foreign training system (including USPA) sometimes have to re-take some levels in order to comply with the UK system - so if you aren't sure that you'll have time to get your licence and a reasonable number of jumps in the US, you might consider saving your cash to start from scratch in the UK

Duke

Just to add a little onto what cpoxon posted - I flew from the UK to do AFF in the States and then came back here to jump so had the same concerns about USPA and BPA etc etc....

The transition was easy ! I had to do a jump with an instructor watching me and BAMM - I was good to go.....

Just makes sure you get your log book filled out and signed (your instructor will do this with you) and if you have any videos of your jumps that will help as well.

Make the most of jumping in the sunshine as there ain't no sun in Scotland !

Enjoy and Blue Skies.

Get your USPA A license first and foremost. It's widely accepted in most of the world, and once you have it, it's yours for life. Don't get 'most' or 'some' of the way there, do the full 25 jumps, complete the proficiency card, and get it done. You won't regret it.

If you're able, buy gear here too. If you're looking for used gear to start with (you should), the US will have the best selection, and you don't have to worry about taxes, shipping, import duties, or whatever else they have going on over there. When you're talking about $1000's of dollars worth of gear, those extra costs can add up fast. Cheap shipping shipping with zero taxes or fees makes the US the place to shop for gear.

USPA membership is not valid in the UK since we require the equivalent of €1.3M in third-party liability insurance to jump here and the USPA's $50k won't cover that

On top of that, these insurance usually only cover you IF you are a resident of that country. It does offer international cover, but only if you live in the US.

Getting a BPA membership when you get there will make sense.
Remster

Remember, the weather in scotland is almost universally shite. It could well take much longer than you expect to get your license in the UK compared to the US.

Be prepared to lose lots of days sitting at the DZ on weather holds, but don't equate that with not being able to learn anything.

So I'm planning on doing my tandem jump at the start of june (school's keeping me busy before then) and provided I don't have some sort of horrific life-scarring trauma during the jump I want to start training for a license.

bro, have you considered that skydiving is expensive? You mentioned you're in school but are you lined up for a job after school? or do you intend mom and dad to front the money? just asking cuz if you decide to go full bore with skydiving it will suck away your money

What Craig said is true mate, buy your stuff in the states its a damn sight cheaper than here.

Something you might consider is doing AFF across in the states :)
I believe there are instructors in the USA and working there but not sure where ?. You do get groups going to places like Elsinore, to get qualified a lot of British university jumpers do it there .

you could ask on Ukskydivier forum mate sure i seen a person reply to a question about jumping in the USA there recently.

Hate to tell you mate the skydive St.Andrews Dz moved a few years ago and think is basicly only a tandem DZ now ?. The only other two are Erroll outside Dundee or Strathallan. There are no planes in Scotland other than door-less Cessna 206(piston) :D quite refreshing during winter.

A lot of experienced jumpers including me go to either Black nights in Lancaster or Peterlee in Newcastle, there is also Cark as well down Lancaster. Both Black nights and Peterlee have Grand caravans, while Cark has a pac 750 xl (all with doors:D ). They are all friendly Dz and have websites that you can access with questions if you want. Black nights also has a facebook page :)
Bpa web page here

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

bro, have you considered that skydiving is expensive? You mentioned you're in school but are you lined up for a job after school? or do you intend mom and dad to front the money? just asking cuz if you decide to go full bore with skydiving it will suck away your money

what kind of a jackass response is this? is it any of your business what this guy does for money? for all you know he grows and sells large amounts of weed on the side and makes quadruple your income, and what if his parents are dead, then how would you feel posting something so rediculous?
gravity brings me down.........