NoCoSkyDiver

Windburn of eyes

So I did something stupid yesterday. On my first jump with a full faced helmet, I forgot to flip my visor down. Made additional 4 jumps. My eyes were ok. Last night my eyes started getting red. This morning my eyes are red, tearing, and sore. I am assuming I have windburned eyes. Anybody else experience this? Do eye drops help? Anybody know about how long it takes to get better?

My eyes often are red(er) after skydiving, despite the fact that I wear goggles. I haven't noticed it being any better or worse on the occasional jump where one goggle lifts up a bit. Some regular old Visene eye drops usually sorts them right out. I also have some non-medicated lubricated ones that are very nice if they're just feeling dry.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Back in the days of hard contacts, I once wore them for 18 hours straight. I woke up the next morning in extreme pain and blind. I could see light, but nothing else. I was taken to the doctor, and he told me that basically I had killed the outer layer of my corneas.

I was blind for 3 days, and by the end of a week, I was back to normal.

The good news is that your corneas are one of the fastest parts of your body to heal, but it might be a good idea to be more careful in the future, since it sounds like you are extra sensitive to the wind.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

First, do NOT under any circumstances follow the advise of the person who said to use Visine. Visine is a vasoconstrictor, it narrows the diameter of the blood vessels feeding the front surface of the eye. This makes it impossible for the eye to stay healty and is actually quite toxic. It should not be on the market. I've cleaned up a lot of Visine related problems over the years. I hate the stuff. Even if it is very good for business :-)

Use a good thick artificial tear, Systane Balance is a good one. Don't use it more than 4 times in a day though. Before bed, put a good artificial tear gel in to stay lubed up all night. You probably just dried the hell out of the front surface of the eye, ripping off cells due to the dryness. If in one day you don't notice improvement, see your eye doctor.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

First, do NOT under any circumstances follow the advise of the person who said to use Visine....

But... but.... how are we supposed to 'get the red out' quickly??? :)
Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

First, do NOT under any circumstances follow the advise of the person who said to use Visine....

But... but.... how are we supposed to 'get the red out' quickly??? :)

Oh, that is easy. Just have the offending eye enucleated :-)

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

First thanks to everybody for their comments. I think that I do have more sensitive eyes than usual given the fact that I have never really been able to get comfortable with contacts. My left eye is still red and teary, but not painful. My right eye is much better.

I know it seems pretty stupid that I did not reach up and flip my visor down. This was my first jump ever with a full face helmet, and the feeling of wind against my face was something that was norm to me. I was concentrating on getting to my slot on a speedstar and really did not realize the wind against my eyes until after canopy opening. At that time, I noticed my eyes were teary. I was wearing my normal glasses (nothing tight fitting). Maybe they provided a little bit of wind protection that I did not notice until later. I am more aware of body position, surroundings, etc than let's say 20 jumps ago. Maybe this is a reminder that I still have a ways to go.