Chelseaflies

Moving to Dubai just to skydive?

I'm currently enrolled in a AFF course in where I live, in New Zealand. But, I'm not impressed with the way they operate as I did my ground training three weeks ago and we still haven't done my first AFF jump. Plus, it's insanely expensive, at over 6 grand just for the AFF and A license.

So, I love Skydive Dubai, it seems like a really amazing place and they're so much cheaper than my current place. Plus, there is no where in New Zealand that will teach me A - D licensing, where as Skydive Dubai will. I'm just a little scared because I'd be moving a very long way, away from my family, my job, everything. Basically just for skydiving.

But, I also know it'd be the best experience of my life.
I need some advice. Am I just being a newbie to skydiving and too excited? Should I move just for it? Help!!

Hey Mate,
You could always try a Skydive company in Australia. We're only next door to you :)
If you've got your heart set on learning to skydive in Dubai, you could maybe get a couple of mates that are also keen and make it like a skydive camp/trip spend 2-4 weeks over there get your skydive quals/tunnel time and then come home.

Keep in mind though, traveling that far just for a cheaper AFF course, you still have to pay airfares, accommodation, living expenses, maybe a hire car and if you're not working over there you'll also have to save a shitload and budget like hell when you get there. Or on the flipside you could find a job over there and then finance wouldn't be an issue.

Just food for thought :D

Panda..

Compromise, A Few Seconds Of Pain, For A Life Time Of Shiny :D

Plus, it's insanely expensive, at over 6 grand just for the AFF and A license.

Plus, there is no where in New Zealand that will teach me A - D licensing, where as Skydive Dubai will.

Where in NZ are you? $6,000? Really?

Did my AFF here 4 years ago and did my 300th last weekend. Plenty of great places here to skydive.

New Zealand Skydiving School an hour out of Christchurch. Did my AFF and 200+ jumps there.

Skydive Abel Tasman at Motueka. Done 40+ there. Great place and people.

Skydive Auckland at Parakei outside Auckland.

Ballistic Blondes at Whangarei.

Haven't jumped at either Parakei or Whangarei but know some awesome instructors from both.

All of them have a healthy sport jumping atmosphere and great instructors.

You might be getting the cart before the horse a little worrying about your D licence when you haven't made your first jump yet?
Ian Purvis
http://www.loadupsoftware.com
LoadUp DZ Management App
[email protected]

I would move to Empuriabrava if I were you. Great weather all year long, great staff, 14ft wind tunnel. And they were just purchased by the prince of Dubai so I'm sure lot more good things will come their way!

(I wouldn't move to UAE for the human rights factor, etc although it was a good experience jumping there for me)

I'm currently enrolled in a AFF course in where I live, in New Zealand. But, I'm not impressed with the way they operate as I did my ground training three weeks ago and we still haven't done my first AFF jump. Plus, it's insanely expensive, at over 6 grand just for the AFF and A license.

So, I love Skydive Dubai, it seems like a really amazing place and they're so much cheaper than my current place. Plus, there is no where in New Zealand that will teach me A - D licensing, where as Skydive Dubai will. I'm just a little scared because I'd be moving a very long way, away from my family, my job, everything. Basically just for skydiving.

But, I also know it'd be the best experience of my life.
I need some advice. Am I just being a newbie to skydiving and too excited? Should I move just for it? Help!!

So just to be perfectly clear...$6000 is your budget and you think it's relatively expensive. So you want to travel/live in Dubai so you can skydive.
But it seems like the limiting factor is $6000 (if we can consider that your cap).
So the first question you should ask yourself is "can I move, live, rent a place, and taking an AFF jump course in Dubai for no more than $6000.

A plane ticket from New Zealand to Dubai is approximately $2000 (i rounded down and got a flight from travelocity.com).

You can find a room for about $50/night (i used this as reference https://www.airbnb.com/search?location=Dubai&sort_by=4&af=1922719&c=A_TC%3Dh5nhfhz928%26G_MT%3Db%26G_CR%3D19494182416%26G_N%3Dg%26G_K%3Drenting%20rooms%20in%20dubai%26G_P%3D&gclid=CNWay_Wu-rYCFWbhQgodkxEAJw).

Now let's assume Dubai's AFF jump course is 5 days and knock off $250 to just rent a place for those 5 days and now you have approximately $3750 left over which you can now consider to use to pay for the jump course.

According to http://skydivedubai.ae/school/index.htm, their jump course prices are as follows:
2200 AED or 598.00 US dollars initial deposit
1500 AED or 408.00 US dollars for category A-C
1300 AED or 353.00 US dollars for category D-F
Which brings the total to about 2881.00US dollars for the jump course.

In your purse you now have about $869.00 of "free money" which you can use for food, beer, and more importantly extra money just in case you need to retake a jump.

I did a little budgeting for you in just 10 minutesand gave you some references to look. But before you start asking questions here on the forums most of this stuff can be found by just doing some research on your own.

And finally, i don't want to assume, but I am assuming you are a young buck and it sounds like you are doing this on a whim. How do you know you'll like skydiving when you haven't even made a jump? How do you know you'll stay in the sport when most of the drop outs leave before they hit 100 jumps? If money is of concern, did you know skydiving is expensive. I dont' care what anyone says, the initial investment from jump course, to license, to getting your own gear will cost you between $5000 - $15000 (factors include, using wind tunnels time for training, individual coach jumps, used gear, new gear, going to the drop zone, buying beer for everyone at the drop zone, etc)

Good luck

I was talking yesterday to a friend of mine just back from Dubai. He told me that if you want to jump at the hot places like on the Palm development or on the beach in front of it in town, you need to have a minimum of 500 jumps otherwise you will have to jump elsewhere in the desert. Also, he told me that they are quite strict with the directives to follow especially for landing. First two goofs, you get a warning, third goof you get a yellow card like in soccer, 4th one, you are asked to leave.
Apparently, the Kingdom of Dubai wants to keep a reputation concerning the safety and have people watching every move in the air and at landing to enforce the regulations.
A lot of things can happen at landing, change of wind, avoiding another parachute...etc but you still have to stick with the direction of the arrow on the ground for landing, whatever the circumstances.
My friend who has a lot of experience got two warnings for not respecting the amount of degrees allowed for the final turn and for having changed his landing direction to avoid another canopy.
Better knowing that before going.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I was talking yesterday to a friend of mine just back from Dubai. He told me that if you want to jump at the hot places like on the Palm development or on the beach in front of it in town, you need to have a minimum of 500 jumps otherwise you will have to jump elsewhere in the desert. Also, he told me that they are quite strict with the directives to follow especially for landing. First two goofs, you get a warning, third goof you get a yellow card like in soccer, 4th one, you are asked to leave.
Apparently, the Kingdom of Dubai wants to keep a reputation concerning the safety and have people watching every move in the air and at landing to enforce the regulations.
A lot of things can happen at landing, change of wind, avoiding another parachute...etc but you still have to stick with the direction of the arrow on the ground for landing, whatever the circumstances.
My friend who has a lot of experience got two warnings for not respecting the amount of degrees allowed for the final turn and for having changed his landing direction to avoid another canopy.

Interesting observation and info.
I believe the draw to Dubai is that there's a bunch of youtube videos out there featuring people having the time of their lives jumping behind a beautiful backdrop...but what most don't realize is that said people generally have extensive experience in the sport.

OP, do you really really want to learn at Dubai? Because it is not outside the realm of possibility.
Or do you want to go to Dubai for some other personal agenda (just to get away from home, just to say to your friends that you did your AFF at Dubai for bragging rights, or is it some other personal issue)? Because obviously there are other options for you.

Yes, really. I'm doing it with NZONE Skydive. It's a bit over $5,300 for the entire AFF, (15 jumps) and then 90 per consolidation jump after that, which If I'm right, rounds of to 6,200 for everything.

Now, I think the way I've worded this may have turned out a little bit wrong. The price I have to pay, isnt a big deal. I don't even really care to be honest.

I'm only problem with NZONE is that because they're mainly a tourist Tandem DZ, it's hard for them, and for you, to fit in your AFF. They don't have set dates, they only do it when they aren't busy pretty much. I've just decided that I'd prefer set dates and a place dedicated to training, you know?

And, yes, I probably am. I tend to that.
Thanks for the input!

Not just 500 but a USPA D equivalent - ie you've demonstrated the accuracy requirements contained in the lower licenses. There were rumors that you could "test out" if you had a C but that seems like wishful thinking as I've heard no concrete news. But what do I know...

Yes, really. I'm doing it with NZONE Skydive. It's a bit over $5,300 for the entire AFF, (15 jumps) and then 90 per consolidation jump after that, which If I'm right, rounds of to 6,200 for everything.

Now, I think the way I've worded this may have turned out a little bit wrong. The price I have to pay, isnt a big deal. I don't even really care to be honest.

I'm only problem with NZONE is that because they're mainly a tourist Tandem DZ, it's hard for them, and for you, to fit in your AFF. They don't have set dates, they only do it when they aren't busy pretty much. I've just decided that I'd prefer set dates and a place dedicated to training, you know?

And, yes, I probably am. I tend to that.
Thanks for the input!

Firstly - I don't believe for a second that there isn't a DZ in new zealand that can't cater for student jumpers. I'd look closer to home first.

Secondly - SLOW DOWN. You're talking about D licenses and progression but there's no rush. I know you're super excited about skydiving, we've all been there B|, but it isn't a race. It took me a YEAR to get my A license, and about 24 jumps. Sure, I didn't do a whole lot of skydiving in that time, but I learnt a shitload about the sport - gear, rigging, dz operations, who to listen to and who not to... and because of all that I stuck around for a decade.
Look at all the threads here on 'AFF what next?' - student jumpers are rushed through their qualifications and sure, they're skydivers, but they still have NO idea how to survive in a DZ environment - how to find people to jump with, what they should be working on, what are the right interim goals for them etc, and so lots and lots of them find it lonely, burn out and quit. A weeks jumping does not a skydiver make, no matter how many jumps you do in it. ;)

There is far, far more to do on a DZ than just skydive and it's all of the other stuff that will enable you to enjoy the sport for longer - maybe even long enough to get your D license and travel to foreign boogies and events!

Go look at the Dropzones tab here on dropzone.com. While most of the South Island operations are going to be tourist-oriented tandem mills, it looks as though at least one isn't.

You're still on South Island in NZ, and subject to local weather. But if you want to pound in a bunch of jumps and learn, you're probably better off going somewhere like Perris Valley or Elsinore and camping, than to Dubai. Jumps are a little more, but it's really cheap to camp, and they have a ton of newbies and reliable weather.

And yeah, Australia is right next door, and NZ has a school dedicated to getting one to professional level in skydiving, with scholarships avialalbe to NZ folks.

I'd put Dubai extremely low on the list of priorities, unless you get free airfare or something.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

What about the us? Your least expensive option would probably be lodi. Assuming 6000 nzd 5000us...
Plane 1500
Camping at dz, free
aff and mandatory tandem 1100
Jumps to finish a liscense inc packed rig 35$*17=595
3200 usd to a liscense include plane fare to us.

I believe coach jumps including rig rental are 100 each.

When you spend money at a DZ owned by a UAE prince, you are.

I'm just making the general point that there are plenty of places you can jump without having a moral dilemma.

Regardless of morals, values, and those things, i think OP wanted to go to Dubai cuz OP thought it'd be cool and to have the bragging rights. Am i right OP?

Regardless of morals, values, and those things, i think OP wanted to go to Dubai cuz OP thought it'd be cool and to have the bragging rights. Am i right OP?

His exact words:

So, I love Skydive Dubai, it seems like a really amazing place and they're so much cheaper than my current place

His exact words:

So, I love Skydive Dubai, it seems like a really amazing place and they're so much cheaper than my current place

oh :o

I have been jumping in Dubai 3 times. I will tell you that when you check in they give you an awesome welcome and DZ brief. They explain all aspects of jumping there. Direction, winds, temp, safety which make you feel safe.

I have jumped all over the us. I have checked in and been told next load is up in 5 if you want on. Asking questions got a dirty look from the instructor.

Dubai is expensive if you stay in the wrong places. It costs me 530 usd to fly from Bahrain, rent a car and a hotel for 4 days. A jump ticket is 32$ at the desert. Rental gear is currently on special.

If you haven't been to Dubai don't knock it. Each experience for each person is different. If you go in with an attitude and don't follow the rules then ya, they ask you to leave.

Be advised with the temps and the desert environment a student is going to sit a while because of winds!

Adam
If you do things that don't make you appreciate life than why do them

No, there's quite a few places in NZ that cater to students. Ok, you're probably right and I think after sleeping on it, thinking very hard about what everyone has said and also looking into a few schools in A.U and Canada, I'm thinking it's a very big step.

But, point being this, I don't want to stay in New Zealand. Preferably, I WANT to move out of the country. Whether it's in Dubai or not.

You've got a very good point, one good thing about my DZ here is that, I do know all of them and they know me. I can talk to the instructors, I can talk to the packers. I can learn a lot just watching the DZ operate.
Thanks for all the input though, you've definitely made me think about it a lot more and think maybe Dubai is a bit far. There is a lot of other great DZ all around the world! :)

Now, I do want to learn in Dubai. Do I really, really, REALLY want to learn there? Well.. Yes and no. Yes, they seem like some very experienced trainers, with many years in the business and that's obviously interests me because I can learn a lot from it. That being said though, there's no reason that I can't learn just the same from the majority of any other DZ's in the world.

But, I do love Dubai as a city and I've always wanted to go there. This would just make it even sweeter! One thing I can say, is I absolutely don't care about bragging rights :)
"My time is limited, what I can do with that time is not" - Jeb Corliss