FlyingRhenquest

When Waking Up, Should I...

I woke up this morning (in bed) checking for my altimeter. I think if I'm waking up and happen to be falling, maybe I should already be reaching for the silver handle. Does anyone have an opinion? If something happened and I'm waking up during a skydive will the couple hundred feet it takes me to check my altimeter make a difference if I'm racing the AAD at below 2000 feet? Or if I find I'm high enough, I have time to get stable and throw my main instead? There is a lot to be said for not panicking, so maybe taking a second to look at the altimeter isn't a bad idea...

I suppose it could make a difference in the event my AAD has failed for some reason. If I'm below its firing altitude, I'm probably dead anyway, but I'm still going to try to get the reserve out there. In that event, I suppose one second might make a difference.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

What I've trained my self to do if I woke up in freefall:

Grab the reserve handle, check the ground, react as necessary.
- low? Dump
- high? Check alti, act as necessary.

Not recommending that anyone do what I do.
But I DO strongly recommend this:
-play out the scenario,
-develop a plan,
-practice the plan,
-drill the plan,
-execute the plan when necessary.

YMMV
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Yeah, as long as I'm not spending several seconds being all confused about where I am or what's going on, I guess I couldn't fault either reaction. If I do ever find myself in that situation, I want to leap into action the moment cognition comes online. I find it interesting to discover I already have a reflex for this. Apparently.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

i had a scary experience once, we were huffing nitrous oxide with whippits on the way up, i took a HUGE punch balloon, sucked the fuckin thing down and exited. i LITERALLY passed out during the freefall. came to and was down to just past 5k...... dumped my main and called it cool.

fun as shit, but a bit of a reality check
gravity brings me down.........

i had a scary experience once, we were huffing nitrous oxide with whippits on the way up, i took a HUGE punch balloon, sucked the fuckin thing down and exited. i LITERALLY passed out during the freefall. came to and was down to just past 5k...... dumped my main and called it cool.

fun as shit, but a bit of a reality check

I was just about to ask when you would be waking up in freefall.. this makes more sense than the seriously bad case of sleepwalking I had in my head lol.

When wacking up, Hitchikers Guide says --> Don't Panic, in big bold Red letters.

Then do what you need to do.

We had a guy fall asleep on cessna with open door. Bump at about 7 000ft, and out he went. Luckily retractable gear. Anyways, he woke quickly, and was under main at roughly 6 000ft. His thoughts, I don't know, but I was just off student status, and had to dispatch the rest. My thoughts --> please let nothing go wrong.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

potatoman

When wacking up, Hitchikers Guide says --> Don't Panic, in big bold Red letters.

Then do what you need to do.

We had a guy fall asleep on cessna with open door. Bump at about 7 000ft, and out he went. Luckily retractable gear. Anyways, he woke quickly, and was under main at roughly 6 000ft. His thoughts, I don't know, but I was just off student status, and had to dispatch the rest. My thoughts --> please let nothing go wrong.

Nice. I know they tell you to relax on those early jumps, kind of sounds like he took it a little TOO far!