rohicks

Army Paratrooper Accidentally Deploys His Reserve Parachute Inside Plane

It's more common than you would think. People normally don't get taken out of the door (or the ramp here), but normally on C-130 chalks where jumpers are packed into each other like sardines, popped reserves aren't unheard of. Jumpmasters will bring along extra reserves especially for in-flight rigging flights, as at least one per bird is sure to go.

Ripcord grip awareness is pounded into your head from day 1 at jump school though, and this practice is enforced throughout your paratrooping career. Not sure what happened to this guy, because a ramp jump is something experienced jumpers participate in. And he's the jumpmaster, so a rookie mistake is just ... weird.

(former US Army master-rated parachutist here)

I was an Army Jumpmaster for the last 2 years of my time in Division, total of 65 jumps, I never saw a deployed reserve in the aircraft as a jumper or jumpmaster......

Ramp jumps are not just for experienced jumpers, just depends on what jump/aircraft comes up for the jump assigned. Dude, really?

rrmtopo

I was an Army Jumpmaster for the last 2 years of my time in Division, total of 65 jumps, I never saw a deployed reserve in the aircraft as a jumper or jumpmaster......

Ramp jumps are not just for experienced jumpers, just depends on what jump/aircraft comes up for the jump assigned. Dude, really?

Yes, dude, really. I guess your mileage may vary. In my 65 jumps I haven't ever seen a reserve snake out the door, but I have personally seen plenty of deployed ones in the aircraft.

How many ramp jumps have you completed in division? Are they pretty rare or pretty often? You think by the time someone gets on a ramp jump load they've jumped a few times (i.e., experienced)? That's the point I was making.

jty2007

How many ramp jumps have you completed in division? Are they pretty rare or pretty often? You think by the time someone gets on a ramp jump load they've jumped a few times (i.e., experienced)? That's the point I was making.

When was the last time 5th SFG did a door jump out of a -130? :D:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

jty2007

***When was the last time 5th SFG did a door jump out of a -130? :D:D

Never. But you're also likely not in a group with just 5 jumps to your name.

According to who? Group sent me to BAC, same with most the legs in my company.;)

Not everyone in group is a GB.;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

theonlyski

According to who? Group sent me to BAC, same with most the legs in my company.;)

Not everyone in group is a GB.;)

Oh you're right about that. Not everyone in group is jumpmaster qualified, either. Which is why I said "likely". The only points I am making is that 1) ramp jump probably means experienced jumpers on the load, and that 2) the fact that he's pulling JM duties in this video definitely means he's an experienced jumper. Definitely too experienced to be screwing up ripcord grip awareness.