jkdrummerboyee

"seller" does not want to refund my money

woppyvac

In what scenario does someone spend 'thousands of dollars' and not do the necessary research to ensure they aren't screwing themselves/getting screwed by someone else?

That'd be like buying a used car without reading a review on the vehicle, getting the carfax, and having a mechanic inspect it first.

I'm curious to read the AD and then get the info on what model rig, canopy, reserve, etc. BC with that 9 times out of 10 you'll ensure getting something that works for you... sheesh I have people email me ads to review for them because they understand that being new to the industry makes them vulnerable and also naive.

always always consult a rigger.

Hahah just a side note. You wouldn't believe the people who buy cars in the way you just described. Trust me, its an easy 50/50 mix between those who do and don't research what you mentioned.

jkdrummerboyee

browsing The Classifieds On Dz.Com. Find A Rig That Looks Suitable To Be My very First. Ask Lots Of Questions. Get Lots Of Answers. Seller ShipS The Product And Upon Delivery I see That The Size Is Clearly Different Than What Was Discussed. Also There Was Additional Damage That Was Not mentioned InThe Ad. I Contacted The Seller About These Issues And Was Told That A Return Would Not Be Accepted, Which Was Also never Mentioned In The Ad. I Was Given Information That I Believe To Be Inaccurate Therefore Leaving Me With A Rig That Serves No purpose To Me And A seller That Refuses To Refund My Hard Earned Money. I Don't Know What To Do And I've Been Saving My Money For A Long Time And This Is Absolutely Devastating To My Investment.
Somebody Please Help Me. What Should I Do?

Is it not the seller's right to refuse a return?
Aren't you taking a chance purchasing from the classifieds?
Try to put it back on the classifieds for the same amount or close to the same amount you purchased it for. Just let me know which one it is so i can avoid it :D

Bignugget

***In what scenario does someone spend 'thousands of dollars' and not do the necessary research to ensure they aren't screwing themselves/getting screwed by someone else?

That'd be like buying a used car without reading a review on the vehicle, getting the carfax, and having a mechanic inspect it first.

I'm curious to read the AD and then get the info on what model rig, canopy, reserve, etc. BC with that 9 times out of 10 you'll ensure getting something that works for you... sheesh I have people email me ads to review for them because they understand that being new to the industry makes them vulnerable and also naive.

always always consult a rigger.

Hahah just a side note. You wouldn't believe the people who buy cars in the way you just described. Trust me, its an easy 50/50 mix between those who do and don't research what you mentioned.

Sadly.... you are correct.
Woot Woot!

jkdrummerboyee

no, i thought if it didn't fit i could send it back to her. you know? i thought she was a skydiver with a little but of class.

You should step away from the keyboard now. Different used markets have different standards. The seller did not misrepresent the gear and in accusing her of not having class you are revealing your own.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

jkdrummerboyee

vector II 1996? seller wasn't sure either. pd170 main 178 reserve. $2000

Vector II 1986? Vector III came out in 1994. (Someone who remembers better than I do will be able to say whether production on both models overlapped.)

Also, the 178 reserve: a Bogy 178? or a 5-cell Swift?

Mark

Sorry to say bro, but i'm not going to say 100% it is your fault but you made a poor decision on this.
And the seller does not have to give you a refund.

If you didn't work with an escrow, you should have.
If you didn't make an agreement with the seller for a possible refund, you should have.
If you didn't make an agreement to try the rig before the purchase, you should have.

At this point you have a few options:
Sell it back and try to get your money back that way. (provide a picture so i know which rig to avoid purchasing )
File a small claims and bring it to court.

GooniesKid

Sorry to say bro, but i'm not going to say 100% it is your fault but you made a poor decision on this.
And the seller does not have to give you a refund.

If you didn't work with an escrow, you should have.
If you didn't make an agreement with the seller for a possible refund, you should have.
If you didn't make an agreement to try the rig before the purchase, you should have.

At this point you have a few options:
Sell it back and try to get your money back that way. (provide a picture so i know which rig to avoid purchasing )
File a small claims and bring it to court.

I don't think small claims will work, because of the three items above. He paid for and received a product. That was the extent of the contract and it was fulfilled. Any expectations that the buyer has of the seller are purely his own.

jkdrummer seems to have plenty of time to be online now, perhaps he should have spent a little more before the fact researching his purchase.

Jump more, post less!

i was suckered and taken advantage of unfortunately, that is definitely a lack of class

Suckered... No just plain being stupid on your part!!! " a fool and their money soon part ways" You were not taken advantage of, you may have been played because you acted like a fool with your money and by not following the many threads & posts on this very site about how to buy used gear!

You failed to do proper home work and then failed to use a broker, the topic has been covered to death on this site.

Oh and BTW, you paid way too much for that old shit, next time maybe you will take proper action and use a broker service and then you can send it back after an inspection by a third party.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

jkdrummerboyee

no, i thought if it didn't fit i could send it back to her. you know? i thought she was a skydiver with a little but of class.

I think this is a good lessons learned for all new jumpers.

1 - Newbies have to learn that skydivers are just people. Skydivers are not special in any way. There are good and bad people in the sport - just like anyone else.

2 - No, it's not a big happy 'family' of like minded people. It's a hobby. That's all. It's just like anyone in any subgroup.

3 - The rules of dealing with others does apply. Just like anyone in any subgroup.

4 - There is not money to made in the sport. If someone is full time and you are doing business with them, keep that fact in mind. They might have to put food on the table on a day to day business. That means you need to be on guard for the small portion of people that might bend the rules if put in a corner. (just like anyone in any subgroup)

5 - No, I'm not kidding, no matter how jazzed and upbeat you are, people in the sport that you have never met are not automatically your "sky brothers and sisters". no.....seriously. Go to some new DZ and leave your stuff lying around, and you might just find your Neptune or new camera stolen. (just like going to any other subgroup of people - getting a message here)

6 - no, seriously. You already have a family.

7 - Really, I wouldn't leave my wallet sitting on the table at a bowling alley. Why would you buy something sight unseen from a stranger?

8 - BUT, if you do find a group of skydivers that are cool and like you and you have a connection with. Hold onto them, it's pretty great (just like any other activity or set of friends). But I'd say that for any circle of friends, regardless of the common activities we share. But I won't expand that connection to strangers I've never spent time with regardless of the fact that they also like to jump.

a bit of a rant. quite a bit overboard. sorry about that. But I cringe every time I hear a new jumper, excited about the activity, falsely extending that excitement to all people in the activity.

....good luck on finding good gear or getting this one resized for you.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Hi Mark,

Vector II 1986? Vector III came out in 1994. (Someone who remembers better than I do will be able to say whether production on both models overlapped.)

The "newest" Vector 2 I've seen was from 2001.
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

rwieder

Send the rig to the manufacturer, have a new harness w/ articulated rings on it, it'll costs about $400.00 USD + S&H. !

False. Maybe in the 90's and early 2000s but not anymore.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

jkdrummerboyee

she removed the ad very quickly. before i paid even. never got a chance to copy it.

Do you have the equipment in your possession?

The harness/container date of manufacture is on a tag on a reserve riser.

The data panel on the main may not be readable, but if it is a PD-170, the model number and size can be verified by the logo panel on the stabilizer.

You should be able to read the make and model from the data panel on the reserve canopy. Additionally, if the reserve is a 5-cell Swift, two (and maybe all four, I can't remember) of the reserve risers will have just 3 lines on the links.

Or have you sent everything back already, in which case you have neither a rig nor your money?

Mark