jkdrummerboyee

"seller" does not want to refund my money

browsing The Classifieds On Dz.Com. Find A Rig That Looks Suitable To Be My very First. Ask Lots Of Questions. Get Lots Of Answers. Seller ShipS The Product And Upon Delivery I see That The Size Is Clearly Different Than What Was Discussed. Also There Was Additional Damage That Was Not mentioned InThe Ad. I Contacted The Seller About These Issues And Was Told That A Return Would Not Be Accepted, Which Was Also never Mentioned In The Ad. I Was Given Information That I Believe To Be Inaccurate Therefore Leaving Me With A Rig That Serves No purpose To Me And A seller That Refuses To Refund My Hard Earned Money. I Don't Know What To Do And I've Been Saving My Money For A Long Time And This Is Absolutely Devastating To My Investment.
Somebody Please Help Me. What Should I Do?

Yep, first go look at his information and record it, then tell him you're going to publicize his name if if he doesn't discuss this with you, then (if he doesn't start dealing) publicize.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

browsing The Classifieds On Dz.Com. Find A Rig That Looks Suitable To Be My very First. Ask Lots Of Questions. Get Lots Of Answers. Seller ShipS The Product And Upon Delivery I see That The Size Is Clearly Different Than What Was Discussed. Also There Was Additional Damage That Was Not mentioned InThe Ad. I Contacted The Seller About These Issues And Was Told That A Return Would Not Be Accepted, Which Was Also never Mentioned In The Ad. I Was Given Information That I Believe To Be Inaccurate Therefore Leaving Me With A Rig That Serves No purpose To Me And A seller That Refuses To Refund My Hard Earned Money. I Don't Know What To Do And I've Been Saving My Money For A Long Time And This Is Absolutely Devastating To My Investment.

Why are you capitalizing every damn word? Stop that. Now.. how are we supposed to give any advice without seeing what damage we're talking about? What exactly is different about the size of the rig?

This is why every single thread on this forum (regarding buying a first rig) will tell you to use a rigger as escrow.

Sorry its my phone it does that sometimes. anyways most of the damage is cosmetic. some torn fabric, flaps that are bent out of shape, but the two things that really bothered me was that the entire container wreaks of cigarette smoke and has been soaked with the smell which i hate and the d bag looks like it was damaged and patched. but the main and biggest problem is that the container does not fit. the lady who sold it said that her and her husband had both jumped the rig and that he was 6' similar build to myself. so that's what i was expecting to receive, but the largest size person that is made for is 5'8" maybe 5'9" most definitely not a six footer. so that is my dilemma. she also said it was inspected by multiple master and senior riggers.

I have a parachute loft. Had a few canopies sent to me. I checked 'em out and the buyer went from there. I don't charge anything. Been here for 12 yrs. Probaly the best way to do transactions. Some shipping costs here and there, but it's better than just hoping when something doesn't seem right.

Did you do any research at all? How about doing a search on this site about how to buy used gear? Did you ask anyone about this rig? A rigger? Instructor? Experienced jumper?

As much as I hate to say it, unless you specifically asked about a 'return policy', I don't think there is one implied. If the gear is the same make/model that was advertised, it's hard to argue that you didn't get what you were promised.

About the harness size, did you just ask who it fit, or did they tell you the actual size of the harness, which you could then cross-reference with the manufacturer? If the seller told that she jumped it, and her husband who is 6ft tall, did she mention what size she was? If her husband is 2" slimmer in the shoulders, 10 lbs lighter, and has a shorter torso than you, he might have very well worn the rig. He might have also worn it and just been uncomfortable.

Your solution, in my opinion, would be this - consult with a local rigger. Take them the rig, and see what they think about the rig, it's condition, the size, and if it's even a good idea for you in the first place. Based on the riggers assesment, you have some options -

1. Send the rig to the manufacturer for repairs, and a harness resize. It will add to the cost, but then it will fit right and be in 'good' shape.

2. Sell the rig as-is if the condition allows. Try to recoup most or all of your money, and try again to find a rig. This time, get the rigger involved before you send any money to anyone, and be a smarter shopper.

3. Have the rigger make repairs to bring the rig into 'sellable' condition, and proceed with step #2.

In any case, good luck.

she had stated that her husband was 6' and about 200 pounds which is bigger than me so i don't know why she would say her husband wore it if it didn't fit him properly. doesn't it make sense to try on the rig when i get it and return it if it doesn't fit? i don't understand why she just doesn't just take it back. i told her that i would cover all of the shipping fees. i just feel like she was really trying hard to get rid of it and the sizing information wasn't correct. also when one is spending thousands of dollars on gear shouldn't the seller be respectful to the fact that it just doesn't fit. there is someone else that can use this rig, its just not me

i don't understand why she just doesn't just take it back

Because she doesn't want the rig, she wants the money.

Follow my advice from above. You need a rigger to be involved in just about any used gear purchase. You're going to need a rigger to pack the reserve anyway, so you might as well get their 'stamp of approval' on the brand, model, and combination of canopies and container.

Another aspect is that some gear is considered 'less then desireable', and some gear has recalls or required mods in order for it to be airworthy. A rigger would know about these things and you might not. You could end up with obsolete gear, or a rig that needs several hundred dollars worth of work before it can be jumped.

So go find a rigger, set the rig down in front of him and tell your story. See what he thinks your best option is and follow it.

I just don't see you as having much recourse with the seller in this deal. Unless you have a written return policy (an email or text would be enough), then there was no return policy. You got a rig that the seller described to the best of their ability, and without you being specific about things like the harness size, you really don't have anything to complain about. Maybe the seller did lie about the size, but at the same time you never bothered to ask the actual size of the harness. Maybe the seller thinks the rig is in 'good' condition, but maybe the seller only jumped student gear before hand. and this rig was better than that stuff? Again, without some sort of defined standard (such as a rigger who could call it 'airworthy' or not), you're really just up against a he said/she said deal.

Even if you had a 'case', it's proven to be tough to enforce interstate, private party deals gone bad. There are plenty of cases where the buyer got nothing, or something that wasn't even close to what was advertsied, but couldn't even find a way to get their money back. At least you have a rig that you can either modify and jump, or sell to recoup your money.

Send the rig to the manufacturer, have a new harness w/ articulated rings on it, it'll costs about $400.00 USD + S&H. Not the worst thing that'll ever happen to you this year. ;) The seller isn't liable for your making a bad decision. Just get it fixed and go sky diving!!

-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

I'm 6'6" and my rig fits anyone from 5'8 to me.

It is the torso or main lift webbing length that is important not the person's height.

Also, i've tried out a rig that was made for 5'6 and I fit in it just fine.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

In what scenario does someone spend 'thousands of dollars' and not do the necessary research to ensure they aren't screwing themselves/getting screwed by someone else?

That'd be like buying a used car without reading a review on the vehicle, getting the carfax, and having a mechanic inspect it first.

I'm curious to read the AD and then get the info on what model rig, canopy, reserve, etc. BC with that 9 times out of 10 you'll ensure getting something that works for you... sheesh I have people email me ads to review for them because they understand that being new to the industry makes them vulnerable and also naive.

always always consult a rigger.
Woot Woot!

demon4o7

Hey mark, I've shipped out quite a bunch of new hand made parts and I've gotten numerous comments about the package smelling of smoke. I think k it might be a post office thing? Only thing that makes sense to me.

That can be true for some post offices, especially the older local ones out in small towns or rural areas where there's just one postmaster and maybe one sorter, and one deliverer. That's what I had to deal with for years in my town's PO. I was glad to see the old fucker retire despite how nice and personable he was.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

jkdrummerboyee

[:/]The Scott Lutz of buying gear

:D:D:D:D:D
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

jkdrummerboyee

lok, but the harness does NOT fit. she said it would fit a six footer and it obviously doesn't so now i would like my money back. isn't that fair? i mean, its a lot of money which I'm sure everyone on here is aware of

????
I don't understand why your are telling me this.
All I said to you was out the seller if necessary.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

lok, but the harness does NOT fit. she said it would fit a six footer and it obviously doesn't so now i would like my money back.

Maybe she actually thought it would fit. You failed to do basic research like asking the harness size and checking with the manufacturer see see if they recommended that harness for someone with your measurements.
Owned by Remi #?