ChesterCheeto

need advice on landing

First of all,the type of problem you have is very common among beginners. Therefore, with some advices and more jumps you will improve your landing a lot.

According John LeBlanc from PD there are four phases at landing, here they are :

1) final approach : on short final and going straight forward, you should stay calm and not moving at all at least for 10 seconds with toggles up.

2) initiation : it is when you should start pulling down the toggles to about the shoulders hight. You do it progressively starting at about 20-25 feet, that slows down your speed.

3) plane out : you keep on lowering the toggles at the point your flight becomes completely horizontal. It is called, the flare. It should be initiated at about 5-8 feet from the ground, progressively.

4) finish : at the end of phase 3) when surfing at one foot or so above the ground, your speed decreases a lot and after you judge you are about to made the contact with the ground, you pull your toggles at the waist. You should keep the control on your toggles even after the touch down and steer your parachute accordingly.

Note 1 : there are 4 common mistakes at landing to be avoided :

a) balance : people try to correct with toggles, move their body, instead of staying quiet with toggles up.

b) protect : it is a reflex to brace yourself when you see the ground coming to you, you have to overcome this.

c) reach : Another reflex people have. They try to prevent the fall and contact with the ground by reaching with their arm or leg. Avoid that.

d) jump down : people try to land before the touch down. They anticipate the contact physically instead of waiting it to happen. To be avoided.

Note 2 : when you do your final approach, do what the pilot you are has to do, just like airplane pilot, look where you are going, ie. look at about 45 degrees ahead of you where you are going to land. Looking straight down is wrong and gives you a wrong view of what happens, don't do that, you will hurt yourself that way.

Note 3 : When going to phase 2, 3 and 4 , you have to make a mental effort to keep your toggles symetrical. People always have an arm stronger than the other and have the tendency, when being beginners, to pull one toggle more than the other with the result of a turn and blaming the wind for landing when turning. If necessary, repeat mentally or loudly ...symetry...symetry again and again when landing. That will reinforce you doing it and struggle to have the toggles at the same level.

Note 4 : Have somebody taking a video of your landing from sideway. Easy to do since all smart phones now have a video mode. You will see exactely what you are doing, including when and how you pull your toggles and that way, you will be able to correct yourself in a more efficient way.

Don't forget to tell us how you are doing with those suggestions.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

First of all don’t beat yourself up, you have 33 jumps. I have 683 which aren’t many but I’m still learning how to bring down my Stiletto consistently under the many different variable that one faces while flying a canopy.

Second if you haven’t already, study the flight characteristic of the canopy from the owner’s manual or manufacturer’s website.

Get advice from a canopy coach at your dropzone and maybe get some video of your landings when you come back and have someone analyze it with you. Go to the DZ even though you can’t jump and study the way others are flying. Once again get advice, advice and more advice.

Last but not least, the fact that you have the money to buy new gear is completely irrelevant. Just learn how to land so you don’t soil the shit out of it ;-)

Doesn't anyone other than Andy908 realize that the OP is another sockpuppet from our resident lunatic stalker?

I have to admit that he trolled the usual suspects fairly well here.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

My pleasure ! But I am just passing on the info. This info was provided at the seminar of John LeBlanc from Performance Designs at the Parachute Industry Association symposium held at Daytona Beach Florida this late March.
Eh, by the way, a girl from our area in Canada, named Christine, is visiting now Australia. I told her that during each jump while in freefall, she will get closer from friends in Canada >:(

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

wolfriverjoe

Doesn't anyone other than Andy908 realize that the OP is another sockpuppet from our resident lunatic stalker?

I have to admit that he trolled the usual suspects fairly well here.

I caught it, but my sarcasim this time was to give a straight answer,...
:S
C

One of the ways you can tell is they never post a vid of themselves, and then they geneerlly disapear anyways,...I just like to type sometimes,

and who knows some newbie who doesen't do a search might just post something and get some benifite someday???
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

GooniesKid

typical douch bag comment... Just answer his question .If not shut the fuck up

Typical freeflyer response...and attitude

can u define "typical" freeflyer attitude?

seriously man, the shit that you vomit out of your mouth on these forums is more juvenile than an 8 year old. i cant recall EVER seeing you post something that could be considered helpful to anyone on this forum. you should probably get the fuck off the couch and maybe go make a few skydives some day, but i dont know you - maybe youre too fat from all the type type on the keyboard
gravity brings me down.........

wolfriverjoe

Can you narrow it down bit? ;)
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA