ChesterCheeto

need advice on landing

I Have 33 jumps and a brand new rig. The jump was yesterday Sunday 29th. I weigh 209 out the door in gear and the chute is a 190 zero p SR-71. The slider that was sent with it was a dome slider that wouldn't come down unless I pulled alot on toggles. Was sent new slider smaller and not domed and it came down fine a little slow at first buthalf way down it slid fast. I am practicing the canopy book from sky dive Univ. and when I came on my final I was told I didn't flare high enough and landed hard spraining my knee. My quetsion is I was looking straight down when I landed insted of looking at an angle down, my normal flare has been okay but I don't think on those jumps I was looking down. Can someone please advise I was thinking about going on radio after my leg heals so I don't make another mistake like that or worse. ? Where is your best depth perception come from when landing.

I Have 33 jumps and a brand new rig. The jump was yesterday Sunday 29th. I weigh 209 out the door in gear and the chute is a 190 zero p SR-71. The slider that was sent with it was a dome slider that wouldn't come down unless I pulled alot on toggles. Was sent new slider smaller and not domed and it came down fine a little slow at first buthalf way down it slid fast. I am practicing the canopy book from sky dive Univ. and when I came on my final I was told I didn't flare high enough and landed hard spraining my knee. My quetsion is I was looking straight down when I landed insted of looking at an angle down, my normal flare has been okay but I don't think on those jumps I was looking down. Can someone please advise I was thinking about going on radio after my leg heals so I don't make another mistake like that or worse. ? Where is your best depth perception come from when landing.

33 jumps with a new rig?
Looks like someone has too much money on their hands they don't know what to do with it..just saying.

have you considered you're WL is close to 1.0? have you considered seeking advise from the instructors at your DZ (whom you recently got lessons from)? have you considered a canopy course?

Most of these questions are can/should be asked to your instructors at your dropzone that have seen you land, even bettter get your landings on video so they can be critiqued.

Its very hard to give GOOD landing advice on here without actually seeing you land in person. On a side note, your landings are probably a little faster/harder to judge because your wingloading is higher than most peopl eat your jump numbers, having a larger canopy to start out allows you to practice your landings/manuevers and dail everything in before you downsize.

Looking straight down at the ground in my opinion is harder to judge when to flare, some like to look at the horizon, while others like to look at an angle below the horizon. Again, best answered by instructors that know you.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

1) Absolutely NEVER take advice on landing from some random guy on the internet. All you're going to remember from this post at 200 feet is "STEER INTO THE TREE!"*

2) Learn to PLF. :P

3) Get an instructor at your dropzone to go over landing with you again. If you can get your instructor at your dropzone to video your landing and go over what's weak about it, this could help. Sometimes the perspective from the ground will make it immediately obvious to you what you're doing wrong. Or maybe take a canopy course.

* Not responsible if you actually steer into a tree.

I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

33 jumps with a new rig?

Looks like someone has too much money on their hands they don't know what to do with it..just saying.

so? jealous? No point in getting into a sport if you can't afford to buy gear after you graduate from student status. That's like taking golf lessons but not being able to afford your own set of clubs.

have you considered you're WL is close to 1.0?

Good math. Isn't that what its sposed to be? should I go to a Manta 320?

For those that offerd good advice, thanks.

For those who got snippy, sorry to see that new guys cant count on you for help

have you considered not being a barely measurable douche? so what if he has money for a new rig? if youre not a 100 jump wonder yourself id be surprised, and that means not too long ago you didnt know anything either.

to the OP, one possibility is that you were jumping student canopies before the one you have now which ill assume is a sport canopy. sport canopies tend to be higher performance than student canopies even at a wing loading around 1:1 so chances are you might not have timed the flair as well as you may have with a canopy where things were happening slower. looking straight down will add to the speed you might feel, but more importantly it will mess with your depth perception. the key on your first couple of dozen jumps is to remind yourself to look more towards the horizon as you enter your final leg of landing. youll start to dial in your flare height and can adjust if youre a bit low by using a quicker flare, or higher with a slower initial flare. but until youve broken the habit of looking straight down youll have trouble being consistent with your landings. good luck and go over the flare and canopy flight with your instructors who have helped many people with this!
"its just a normal day at the dropzone until its not"

First off im no pro ...
But I have seen quite a few go back on radio for a few jumps after f
transition from student to ”sport” gear..,no shame in it
Your still learning and will continue on every jump. Asking someone to help you out on radio for a few jumps, at least to me is no different than getting a coach for any other skill in the sport.

But I will say this much , dont look straight down. From what I have seen and learned first hand landings come hard fast that way.

everyone is gonna have their personal point on the horizon/ground and it will vary from every comment. Get with a good coach or instructor to clean up your landings..
Now hurry the hell up and get healed , season is just starting and you will have them dialed in shortly...

33 jumps with a new rig?

have you considered you're WL is close to 1.0? have you considered seeking advise from the instructors at your DZ (whom you recently got lessons from)? have you considered a canopy course?

typical douch bag comment... Just answer his question .If not shut the fuck up

Use the oh shit method...whe you think you should flair say oh shit oh shit and on the third oh shit flair! :) now that won't work if the ground doesn't scare you...in that case get an instructor to work with you and go make some hop and pops so you and the instructor have the landing area to yourself...you will build the site picture really fast and if not get a bigger canopy or your going to really hate skydiving If you don't break yourself first.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

It sounds weird but try not to land. The aim is to keep your canopy in the air for as long as you can until it just won't fly any more. By that stage you should be close enough to the floor to just step onto it.

To do this, don't use all of your flare in one go, use just enough to get your canopy flying level, then as it starts to recover into a dive again, add a bit more flare so it flies level, and repeat until you run out of flare and you've timed it so right at the end you are inches away from touchdown. Practice up high to see how long you can keep your canopy flying level without sinking.

If you need to bury your toggles to stop yourself from piling in, you're flaring too low. If you sit there on half brakes for ages waiting for the ground to come up, you're flaring too high.

A few people say look down, a lot say look at the horizon, I tend to look where I'm going.

But really, there is no better method than getting a video debrief from a good canopy coach.

As an AFFI I'd appreciate it if my students would seek advice from me or another AFFI at the DZ rather than the internet. I suggest you do that. Then I make one other suggestion. FLY THE CANOPY! Don't think of the flare as being the end. Fly the canopy until you are completely stopped.

steveOrino

To do this, don't use all of your flare in one go, use just enough to get your canopy flying level, then as it starts to recover into a dive again, add a bit more flare so it flies level, and repeat until you run out of flare and you've timed it so right at the end you are inches away from touchdown. Practice up high to see how long you can keep your canopy flying level without sinking.

^^^ This. ^^^

I'll expand on that briefly in two ways. But first, let me tell you that I bought all my own gear (everything new except main canopy [200 jumps]) when I had about 30 jumps. Don't let these guys put you off -- everyone loves to riff the new guy.

Anyway, here's the deal. Learn a proper 2-stage flare. When you're a student, the easiest way to teach (especially on gigantic student canopies) is just to have you do one flare motion all the way through. On a "normal" canopy (like the 1:1 you're now jumping), it's much better to do a good 2-stage flare.

So what does that mean? That's where the second piece of advice comes in -- get a copy of Brian Germain's book "The Parachute and Its Pilot". It wasn't until I got a copy of this book that I really understood what my canopy was doing, why it was doing it, and what I could do to affect that in a real way -- not just the "pull left go left" you learn in AFF. Anyway, as Jack said, the first stage of your flare is to increase your glide ratio a lot, so that you're not flying nearly as steep an angle. A good estimate is to pull your toggles between ear- and shoulder-height, but this will be specific to you and your harness/canopy/risers/etc. What you're doing when you do this (or when you flare at all, really) is trading off some of the speed that you have for lift. By increasing lift, you have a much flatter glide, and you'll start to slow down. Now, in your flatter glide, it will be much easier to time the rest of your flare. (Remember NEVER let your toggles back up once you've started flaring and are close to the ground. Your canopy will surge at the ground and you will follow it.)

Just like flying aircraft, a lot of your depth perception on landing comes from peripheral vision. Most pilots stare down at the end of the runway when you cross the piano keys. This moves their focus forward and let's their peripheral vision 'feel' the ground - it also helps to maintain heading which is equally important skydiving. Focusing on the ground (looking down)tends to speed things up, and causes instincts or survival reactions to take over which are not always in your best interests! Have you ever been on the freeway and compared looking out the front windscreen to looking out the side. Your still doing the same speed but we percieve speed a lot faster with a different angle.

Talk to your instructors of course, but looking ahead and performing a nice 2 stage flare are the keys to a good landing IMO.

33 jumps with a new rig?

This is another indication of why we frown on noobs offering advice to other young jumpers. You just don't know what you don't know.

Please refrain from advising other young jumpers on what they have done, what they should do and how they should do it. Take note: YOUR experience is limited. Probably more so than the ones you are hammering.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

What I found that helped me regarding looking ahead, not down and keeping height awareness for flare timing was to obviously look ahead at the end of the field or landing zone, but use your peripheral vision to judge your height. For instance, my home DZ has a tree line off the side of the field. So I use the trees in the edge of my vision as a height indicator: see leaves, don't flare, see trunk (i.e. no more leaves) it's about time to flare as our leaves stop about 12ft or so off the ground. And when I say "about time to flare", I don't mean immediately stab to your crotch, do your nice normal two-stage progression.

My situation may be different than yours as far as surroundings, but if you can find something like that to use, it helped me a lot.
In every man's life he will be allotted one good woman and one good dog. That's all you get, so appreciate them while the time you have with them lasts.

- RiggerLee

ChesterCheeto

33 jumps with a new rig?

so? jealous? No point in getting into a sport if you can't afford to buy gear after you graduate from student status. That's like taking golf lessons but not being able to afford your own set of clubs.

have you considered you're WL is close to 1.0?

Good math. Isn't that what its sposed to be? should I go to a Manta 320?

For those that offerd good advice, thanks.

For those who got snippy, sorry to see that new guys cant count on you for help

I have no issue with an individual buying new gear, If you have the cash, and it makes you happy FINE. If you have the cash and you want a new rig for your first jump FINE. (And yes I would be a little jelous.)

I do have an issue with your response however. At 33 jumps you take the advice, comments, and poineient remarks with a grain of salt. It seems your are more interested in judging what is "good" advice as compared with what isn't Good advice? How do you know what is good as compared with what isn't?

If you want, and you are really sincere then get someone to post some vidioes of your landings!

This tread is almost the same as the other recent 20 to 25 "landing advice" threads posted here!

IT SHARES THE SAME ADVICE AND THE SAME RESPONSE

and that is:

You ask the question and then no one posts the vids!!!

I'm tellin YA if you post a vid you can get some really good advice if we can see what you are doing that could be improved upon!!

But if you don't post a vid your tellin us all to go to hell. And for that you can take your "snippy" comments and shove them up your ass.

On the other hand, I would be willing to forward your vid to some very knowlagable, world class really, individuals and spend how much, whatever time it takes to help you improve!!:)
Your Choice!
C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."