1 1
Husker

What are your first impressions of a dropzone...

It would not affect my opinion.

Are they a group member drop zone?

The paint colors on the plane are kind of ugly, but it shows some attention to detail, and from exterior appearances it seems to be well-cared for.

There are many things that are used to form a first impression. The people, most of all. An anti-USPA sticker is small fry. They might have a good reason for holding that opinion. Maybe they had an airport access problem, and USPA refused to help? I'd have to hear the story, before deciding whether that represents a problem or not.

Brand new user, first post - trying to stir shit anonymously, eh?

The N-number is registration can be seen here:
http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNumSQL.asp?NNumbertxt=8481Z

yay and the plane had an off airport landing due to complete engine failure in 1976. :P Interesting color choices. Can't say the sticker would turn me off to the place. They may have a very good reason for it...or it could just be a tongue in cheek type deal. As long as they don't have that attitude towards safety and stuff it wouldn't turn me away.

yay and the plane had an off airport landing due to complete engine failure in 1976.

Not caused by the sticker, of course. I'd have to read the NTSB report to judge whether that represented a safety problem that would make me hesitate to jump there.

And 1976 was a long time ago. I wouldn't automatically assume that any safety issue present then, were still a problem today, 33 years later.

That issue seems to have been an electrical system failure. Not necessarily due to something stupid a pilot might have done - certainly not like running out of fuel.

NTSB accident summary: http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=53771&key=0

As long as they don't have that attitude towards safety and stuff it wouldn't turn me away.

That's my feeling. If their attitude is appropriate, I don't care about the sticker. If they're cavalier about safety, then the sticker may represent that, and that's a problem. But the sticker alone means nothing.

If this is on the jump plane? (see the attachment)

I wouldn't even have noticed it, nor would I care if I had. The people, what they're doing, how they're landing and the amenities are what I see on a new DZ.

Actually, it is an interesting variation of the various "piss on ...." graphics that we see on many vehicles. I think most people think those are all childish, plus, they are offensive to some. (Duh.) Yet another example of why skydiving in general is not professional. However, we live in a free country where we all can express ourselves as we like.

Well John, do you trust Hooknswoop's opinion? Here's his review of them:

I see one bad review, and a whole bunch of good ones.

Again, I wouldn't take someone else's word for it, good or bad - I would have to see for myself.

While many of the good ones read as if written by the DZ staff. At least Hooknswoop has some credibility as a knowledgeable, experienced and safety conscious skydiver.

I think the decal is unprofessional.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

If your review is truthful then the FAA is the one to talk to not post a review on dz.com Jumping under the influence will get the pilots ticket yanked. There isn't anything funny about that..

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

In itself the sticker wouldn't influence my opinion. I'd just ask them what the sticker signified.:S

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Let's do a review of who you are. You just signed up to DZ.com, and it looks like this is your first post, but you left out your name, jump experience, and home DZ. Why don't you fill out your profile, and let us see who you are?

You seem to have an axe to grind with this place. Any of the recent reviews of that DZ indicate that many first time jumpers had a great experince, and some even got licensed. Hook did not like the place, but that was back in '02. Maybe things are different now.

Even if the reviews are bogus, written by the DZ staff as some have suggested, the fact remains that I've never heard about a rash of fatalities or injuries from the DZ, nor have I ever heard a jumper of any experience post that they had any problems with the place.

Excpet for you, the brand new mystery man.

As far as the sticker goes? Good for them. Last time I checked, this is America, and the guy who owns the plane gets to paint it any way he wants.

I'm sure a Steelers fan wouldn't be happy to see a Cleveland Browns sticker anywhere on anything, but it's still just a sticker.

Alright Husker, man up. Who are you, and what's your beef?

Rumor has it that Slyde is selling that sticker to finance his mega-pipe to the internet so he may further his cause....whatever it may be.;)

It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

Let's do a review of who you are. You just signed up to DZ.com, and it looks like this is your first post, but you left out your name, jump experience, and home DZ. Why don't you fill out your profile, and let us see who you are?

You seem to have an axe to grind with this place. Any of the recent reviews of that DZ indicate that many first time jumpers had a great experince, and some even got licensed. Hook did not like the place, but that was back in '02. Maybe things are different now.

Even if the reviews are bogus, written by the DZ staff as some have suggested, the fact remains that I've never heard about a rash of fatalities or injuries from the DZ, nor have I ever heard a jumper of any experience post that they had any problems with the place.

Excpet for you, the brand new mystery man.

As far as the sticker goes? Good for them. Last time I checked, this is America, and the guy who owns the plane gets to paint it any way he wants.

I'm sure a Steelers fan wouldn't be happy to see a Cleveland Browns sticker anywhere on anything, but it's still just a sticker.

Alright Husker, man up. Who are you, and what's your beef?

Hi Dave

I agree with your statement about the Husker.

The picture posted by Husker is probably good.

However the DZ review posted by the Husker on DZ.com is very questionable.

I think you'll get a response from Husker or whatever his name is.
One Jump Wonder

Robert and Dave,

Who I am is of absolutely no relevance to the question of how does a “Piss on the USPA” sticker on a U.S. registered skydiving aircraft effect your opinion of a dropzone… Even though the attitude seems to be endemic of this particular DZ, it was a pretty simple question. This place appears to be one of those “slimy” DZ’s that will tout how independent (i.e. anti – USPA) and carefree they are right up till they are about to be kicked off the airport then they will be whining on the USPA’s doorstep.

Who I am is of absolutely no relevance

Really? With the expection of a 7 year old review by Hook, you're the only one who appears to have a problem with the place, so who you are (and what connection you have with the place) is very relevant.

As far as the sticker goes, who gives a shit? The USPA is a private organization, with it's fair share of supporters and detractors.

Are you also outraged when you see the same format of sticker with the pee directed at a Ford or Chevy logo?

It's not like the depiction is of peeing on an American flag, or a dis-abled veteran, but even then, this is a free county, and the owner of the aircraft is free to adorn it as he sees fit.

Your position makes little sense. Anyone with any time in skydiving would surely be well past being offended by a sticker. Something has your panties in a bunch, and the fact that you're never registered or posted until now, and you refuse to reveal yourself really points to you as a shit stirrer.

Stir it up pal, and then jam a big spoonfull of it right down your throat, because that's the only place it's going to be welcome.

FWIW I visited the DZ while driving from the GoFast Royal Gorge event in Sept 2007. The place was nice, the plane still had the same sticker :), and the whole facility had a look of a club rather than a commercial operation. I felt warm and welcome. I talked to the "guy in charge" and he was very knowledgeable and pleasant. He did say how much he hates the USPA and actually showed me the sticker, but he was not unreasonable, nor did he sound like he is of his rocker - I have met plenty of other people before and since who dislike the USPA. I would not have hesitated to jump there.

Who I am is of absolutely no relevance

Really? With the expection of a 7 year old review by Hook, you're the only one who appears to have a problem with the place, so who you are (and what connection you have with the place) is very relevant.

As far as the sticker goes, who gives a shit? The USPA is a private organization, with it's fair share of supporters and detractors.

Are you also outraged when you see the same format of sticker with the pee directed at a Ford or Chevy logo?

It's not like the depiction is of peeing on an American flag, or a dis-abled veteran, but even then, this is a free county, and the owner of the aircraft is free to adorn it as he sees fit.

Your position makes little sense. Anyone with any time in skydiving would surely be well past being offended by a sticker. Something has your panties in a bunch, and the fact that you're never registered or posted until now, and you refuse to reveal yourself really points to you as a shit stirrer.

Stir it up pal, and then jam a big spoonfull of it right down your throat, because that's the only place it's going to be welcome.

Hi dave

I don't think calling attention to the DZ's airplane graphic's is the reason for this thread. :o

Whithout Huskers origional post that started the thread husker wouldn't have been able to respond with a link to the DZ review that he made the same day. [:/]

Some of the DZ's in colorado seem to have issues that surface every couple of years.

IMO Your correct Huskers just trying to stir up some shit to get even with the DZ.

Bad stuff for the sport and soap opera.
One Jump Wonder