UKKid35

Third Party Insurance

I have just been told by a DZ in Belgium that they need proof of insurance, or I would have to take out annual membership costing 180 Euros, which is a bit excessive for an afternoon when I might only jump a couple of times.

What are my third party insurance options?

If you are a BPA member you have it already. Covers you for up to £5 million at BPA centres and £100,000 at overseas non-BPA dropzones. Your proof would be your BPA card and maybe get them to look at the BPA website which confirms the insurance details - in fact I think there's the insurance schedule on there in PDF format somewhere.

If you're not a current BPA member... I dunno I'm afraid, I've never had to look into that.

Quick note - BPA third party cover doesn't extend to the states - everywhere else, but not the US.

I don't think USPA third party cover is even £100k. It used to be $50k last time I had USPA but I'm not sure what it is nowadays. I agree though that it's not really enough, but that's a whole other can of worms.

For jumping in Belgium, if £100k is enough cover to let you jump then getting BPA may be the cheapest option. It's £106 this year and assuming you're back in the UK this financial year you'll be able to use it back home. It's cheaper at least than the 180EU local membership you've been offered, which would be useless back in the UK.

I am not sure if it would be completely useless. I jump in Belgium and the insurance here is supposed to be international. I am not sure about the details though. And it might change if you are getting it in a DZ in Wallonia or a DZ in Flanders.

If providing international cover, the policy might respond in the event of a claim but in order to jump in the UK as a UK resident you are required to have BPA membership. As such, any policy taken out by a UK resident overseas would not enable them to jump in the UK, no matter how much cover it affords. Not completely useless but it wouldn't get you in the air on its own.

mr2mk1g

If providing international cover, the policy might respond in the event of a claim but in order to jump in the UK as a UK resident you are required to have BPA membership. As such, any policy taken out by a UK resident overseas would not enable them to jump in the UK, no matter how much cover it affords. Not completely useless but it wouldn't get you in the air on its own.

Sure, but I would assume (maybe/probably I am wrong), that a BPA membership without insurance would be cheaper than membership+insurance, right? Or it is not possible to separate them?

All part and parcel unfortunately - we can't pick and choose which bits of the membership fee we pay. Same with the magazine cost - some people wanted to only pay for the insurance and admin etc and drop the bi-monthly magazine. BPA said no. There were quite a few people getting upset and wanting to look into ways to cut costs a few years ago as the insurance cost kept going up and up.

All came to naught except for some concessions permitting non-UK residents to use their domestic memberships rather than being forced to pay for BPA membership and that essentially only came in because of EU rules about the free movement of people across member states. As such it doesn't apply to UK residents, only foreign nationals so as to prevent everyone simply joining some other governing body and using the membership to jump in the UK. These days it's not quite so much the hot topic as insurance costs are going back down, which seems to have placated people.

I'm afraid the OP may have difficulty in finding TP cover for jumping outside of the national organisations. It's probably quite a niche area of insurance. No doubt there are companies out there that offer it though, maybe in countries who don't have insurance through a national body. Doesn't German jumpers insure individually?

The other place to look is holiday insurance. Some of those policies have TP cover, though far from all. You might not be able to take it out though if you're already in Belgium (as the "holiday" will have already started). The link above appears to be medical cover rather than TP liability cover unfortunately.

perhaps the person doesn't wish to jump in the UK which is why he is not a member ? there are still jumpers (UK residents ) who are just not interested in jumping here. In Which case it might be just a case of taking out a private insurance that covers them for that period ?. That would also depend on just this trip cover or year round cover ! quite a few variables to think of

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

UKKid35

I have just been told by a DZ in Belgium that they need proof of insurance, or I would have to take out annual membership costing 180 Euros, which is a bit excessive for an afternoon when I might only jump a couple of times.

What are my third party insurance options?

Sorry for you, but please read your USPA card that proofs that you have an USPA insurance.
It will tell you that you are only insured in the USA if you are not an us citizen or green card holder.
So as a British bloke you are not insured in Europe with your USPA insurance.

mr2mk1g

The other place to look is holiday insurance. Some of those policies have TP cover, though far from all. You might not be able to take it out though if you're already in Belgium (as the "holiday" will have already started). The link above appears to be medical cover rather than TP liability cover unfortunately.

Sadly excluded by my current insurer:

"If You have bought a Premier policy, Your policy can be extended to cover the following Special Sports and Activities for an additional premium, but no cover will apply in respect of any Personal Accident or Personal Liability claims, and the Policy Excess will be increased to £250 under Section 2 (Medical Emergency & Repatriation)"

Bummer. Do you know how much TP liability cover you are required to have to jump in Belgium?

I think Generali offer TP skydiving and BASE insurance in Switzerland... maybe they have a product for you in Belgium?

The only other idea I have is perhaps posting in one of the foreign language forums if you speak/can have a crack at the lingo (I think you'll have your post locked if you post in English). I'm sure some EU countries have individual policies so there must be cover available out there somewhere.