milehigheric

Winter Gloves ?

Hey guys,

I'm travelling to NZ in July for a snowboard/skydiving trip and I was after some recommendations for some good winter gloves. From what I have heard temps can reach -20 to -30C (-4 to -20F) at altitude during this time of the year so I wan't to be prepared. I had a search but most threads I found seem to be outdated with advice not reflecting the current market.

I have had a look at a few brands but as a non glove wearer its a bit like a whuffo buying a rig. Square 1, akando, deepseed?

Any help would be appreciated ;)

http://www.skydivezone.co.nz/shop/Accessories/Skydiving+Gloves/Akando+Winter+Skydiving+Gloves.html

I've got a couple hundred cold jumps at NZSS near MT Hutt. -26 is the worst I've had but have always been fine with these and a neck warmer
Ian Purvis
http://www.loadupsoftware.com
LoadUp DZ Management App
[email protected]

I never did find a pair I liked for that last winter. The likely candidates were either warm enough but too bulky or not warm enough. So I ended up using some fairly thin ones with latex gloves under them. Even then, there were some jumps where I couldn't feel my fingers when I reached the ground.

I did, however, find some lovely neoprene socks intended for diving. They kept my toes plenty warm in everything that I jumped in. I liked them so much I ordered several more pairs and just wear them any time it's freezing out (And occasionally to bed heh.)
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Been using the Nike, Undeer Armor, etc., type tacified , looks like some kind of sticky vinyl stuff, made for football. They work well for the first 60 seconds, 3 min later on the ground, your hands will be cold but still usable...

There are also some fine neoprene (scuba) (duck Hunting) (ice fishing) fine dexterity gloves out there, Gandeer Mountian, Cabelas, but the problem is finding them because the stores don't always stock them!

Stay away from some of the scuba gloves out there, they are a bit of a slip and slide grabbing stuff, stuff that yo might need!

The big thing is: still usable, remember too tight and they inhibit circulation,...I've found the tacky gloves are a bit of an art to balance tight with too tight,...

One point of caution, they have issues if yo pull high. If yo pull high, I suggest some slip on winter climbing mits, I carry them stuffed under my jumpsuit, near the neck area, and yes practice first because I can only get my toggels with the thumbs and yes the altimeter gets covered up as well. Something to consider in snowblind area. Ditto the neck gaitor, some fine ones at police supply stores.

Remember with gloves practice practice practice, don't jump without practicing, cause you can't rip em off in freefall!!
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

I have Raynaud's Syndrome, where if my hands get cold at all they completely lose circulation, I've been able to jump all winter in Nebraska with these.

http://cozywinters.com/shop/tactical-heated-gloves.html
I'm a little teapot short and stout, here is my handle and here's a note from my shrink. He says I'm getting better. Last week I thought I was a toaster oven!
-Dot Warner

To be honest your not there long enough to suffer cold in freefall, Always found it was when under canopy to the ground you tend you feel it. I find hillwalking gloves crossover/work well and are not expensive either. Just make sure they can be secured, are wind proof and not to thick where you still have good feel of your handle. I buy mine from local climbing, hillwalking store.

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

pincheck

To be honest your not there long enough to suffer cold in freefall, Always found it was when under canopy to the ground you tend you feel it. I find hillwalking gloves crossover/work well and are not expensive either. Just make sure they can be secured, are wind proof and not to thick where you still have good feel of your handle. I buy mine from local climbing, hillwalking store.

You make a great observation here, however, on more than one occasion I have seen frostbite spots from the holes in the stiching and frostbite spots from individuals using some sort of golf gloves.

So as you point out windproof is the key, but yes an average freefall is short enough to do damage.
C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

***To be honest your not there long enough to suffer cold in freefall,

I got to disagee

When it is below minus 20 at ground level and a whole lot colder at altitude, it can be very noticeable in freefall, in my limited experience of jumping through 5 Russian winters.

I'm NOT totally useless... I can be used as a bad example

mik

***To be honest your not there long enough to suffer cold in freefall,

I got to disagee

When it is below minus 20 at ground level and a whole lot colder at altitude, it can be very noticeable in freefall, in my limited experience of jumping through 5 Russian winters.

Perhaps where you jumping Russia Mik but the guy was talking about New Zealand. Where the temp he quoted was pretty much like Scotland at altitude. where i have jumped through winters in the passed and went out the door at 12k @-40oC. Spending about 45 secs in freefall with gloves was not a problem but floating about while working your way down under canopy for 5-7mins @say 15mph forward speed at a subzero ground temp is where you will feel it.

Seen one experienced jumper land and unable to remove his gear due to Numbness after forgetting his gloves. Not something you do twice :D

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

I do scuba diving gloves. They insulate very well, and leather on the palms allow for good feel. Used those in -14 at altitude. Grip the fronts, and get down quickly, hehehe.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.