Anvilbrother

Are stock PD canopies built ready to go?

Ordered a canopy off the stock list on the website, 17 days ago, and have not seen or heard anything yet. Are the stock canopies completely built, bagged ready to go, or are they cut out, not sewn, sewn, but no lines etc? I cant seem to figure out why it would take over 2 weeks to ship something to me that's supposedly sitting 3 states away. Are all PD canopies built in Florida, or do they sub out some to another country?

The website says custom in 14 weeks, but no info about the stock list. Obviously I would call but they are closed today, gonna give the dealer a call in a bit. Figured I would ask here to see if someone knows off hand before I call and bug them about it. Thanks.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Stock from what I have experienced are in a plastic bag completely assembled and ready to jump. My last order of a stock PD canopy was ordered on a monday and I received it 3 days later!

What canopy did you end up purchasing stock from them might I ask? Also has to do with which dealer you went through

Could also possibly be if you ordered something custom that they (your dealer) are shipping it out all at the same time. Any by custom I mean something other than the canopy ;)

For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Boo, I got a stock Navigator 280 the slider is probably what the hold up is, the stock slider is not collapsible so I bought one that is.

They wont trade out one that collapses or install draw strings on the stock one, so now I have 2 sliders. Ooh well I waited 2 months for a new rig, what is another month for a canopy[:/]

Wish I had known I would have gotten the canopy sent now and used the stock slider, and had the collapsible one sent later even if I had to pay double shipping.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Ordered a canopy off the stock list on the website, 17 days ago, and have not seen or heard anything yet. Are the stock canopies completely built, bagged ready to go, or are they cut out, not sewn, sewn, but no lines etc? I cant seem to figure out why it would take over 2 weeks to ship something to me that's supposedly sitting 3 states away. Are all PD canopies built in Florida, or do they sub out some to another country?

The website says custom in 14 weeks, but no info about the stock list. Obviously I would call but they are closed today, gonna give the dealer a call in a bit. Figured I would ask here to see if someone knows off hand before I call and bug them about it. Thanks.

Chad, when you placed your order off of the PD website, you had to select a dealer during the process. Since PD doesn't sell direct to the customer, the request you sent for a stock canopy was sent to the dealer you selected when you picked your canopy out. The dealer is sent an e-mail for your request at that point and the transaction is transparent to PD themselves, meaning they don't get notification of it or have visibility on it. Your best bet is to contact the dealer you selected directly and ask them about your order. If that doesn't work, you can then try contacting PD directly. Hope that helps you out.:)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Are all PD canopies built in Florida, or do they sub out some to another country?

See attached. IIRC they only build the military canopies in Deland, but don't hold me to that.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

The probability of survival is in relation to the angle of arrival.

Love the signature, but I've got a suggestion:

The probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival.

--
It's all been said before, no sense repeating it here.

See attached. IIRC they only build the military canopies in Deland, but don't hold me to that.

Absolutely wrong...where do you get your information?

Heard it from a couple old riggers.

So, if my sabre2's were both made in Honduras, then which canopies are built in Deland?

ETA: only talking about mains, I think the reserves ARE built in deland.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

"Stock" canopies are all sewn together, with lines and sliders installed. They are "bagged" and sitting on a shelf near the shipping department. All the shipping department has to do is shove them into a box.

I suspect that your problem is a missed communication between you, your dealer and the PD factory.

I ordered a collapsible slider also, a option that does not come stock on the navigator that I ordered. I am almost 100% sure that is what the hold up is, they are waiting on the slider to ship the whole order. Im going to follow up tomorrow with my dealer(chutingstar), who is amazing, as is PD.

If the custom slider is not going to be ready for a week or more, im just going to get them to ship the canopy as is, and follow up with the other slider when its done.

Absolutely wrong...where do you get your information?

And what is you information? Or is that a secret?

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

My girlfriend's PDR 126 is "made in Honduras"
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

My girlfriend's PDR 126 is "made in Honduras"

My understanding is that most of the reserves are built in Honduras. My Velo was built in Deland...maybe it's a military model VE-111? With the old stock colors? I'm not sure if it could be weaponized, but if you believe Brad Thor the Athena Group uses small FX canopies for roof top landings of top secret para-military organizations.

G-dub could probably combat land my Velo, but he may be one of the very few in the world.

(for those of you who may miss it, I'm joking about only military canopies being built in Deland).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

PD builds mains and reserves in Deland and Honduras. They build for both the military and sport market in Deland and Honduras. As for "subbing" work out. PD's canopies are built in one of PD's facilities. They don't farm their work out to cut and sew shops. They research, develop, test, and build their own products. They also give the option to have factory service for repairs, relines, or issues. Both locations share common ownership. Some may think of the Honduras plant as a US factory on non-US soil, they use the same work instructions, same training, same construction methods, same quality controls, same quality standards, and same management team.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

PD builds mains and reserves in Deland and Honduras. They build for both the military and sport market in Deland and Honduras.

So building the military stuff in Honduras is OK? As long as it is all American materials perhaps? But that's still taking sewing jobs from Americans?

In other words, what's with that Berry Amendment thing?

eg,

Offerors need to be cognizant of the Berry Amendment, which precludes the Department of Defense from procuring textile or textile end products that are not produced or manufactured in the United States. Therefore, any parachute material or end product must be made in the United States.”

There was some scare in the parachute industry a few years ago when it turned out some thread made with US nylon, had been spun in Canada, or some such thing, and then incorporated into military products. (That's not quite accurate, but I'm just recalling what I saw in Skydiving magazine.)

My understanding is that most of the reserves are built in Honduras. My Velo was built in Deland...maybe it's a military model VE-111? With the old stock colors? I'm not sure if it could be weaponized, but if you believe Brad Thor the Athena Group uses small FX canopies for roof top landings of top secret para-military organizations.

Oddly enough, the word I got PM'ed was that Velo's are the only ones that are ONLY made in Deland.

Think about that one!:S

Oddly enough, the word I got PM'ed was that Velo's are the only ones that are ONLY made in Deland.

Think about that one!:S

Yeah, that's the ticket, yeah. But only ones within a specific serial number and color range.;):P

What I posted above is direct from PD, not to mention that I've walked on the production floor several different times and watched them making assorted canopies.
PD manufacturing floor
Close up view
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

What I posted above is direct from PD, not to mention that I've walked on the production floor several different times and watched them making assorted canopies.
PD manufacturing floor
Close up view

How do they get any work done with all that crap laying around?

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Hi Sparky,

How do they get any work done with all that crap laying around?

I don't see much crap laying around but I do not anyone, in the 2nd photo, actually working at a machine. :P

If you want crap laying around, here is what it looks like in my shop when I finish with a container; and this is about 1/2 cleaned up. :|

You should see it when I am really busy.

JerryBaumchen