peek

Comments on the article "Jumping Away from the Normal Dropzone"

Comments on the article "Jumping Away from the Normal Dropzone"

I thought I would start a thread for any questions or comments about the article that Mike Mullins and I wrote. In the future we will be able to point people to this article when we see questions about how to go about jumping away from the normal DZ.

Mike and I spent a good deal of time making sure the contents of the article are accurate, and also had the article vetted by a number of knowledgeable people.

:)
I loved it, great work!

I used to travle quite a bit, this left me with a number of observations about differing DZs'. Exit order at one place and how it differes from a neighbor! Left me feeling that standadized instruction and some other issues such as the two different curtaway procedures need help???

But thanks :)C

The only thing I would add, again, and again is to get on the phone before you travel?

Wich means have a list of the controling fac numbers beforehand, and you might want to have the local PD/ fire deparment's numbers on hand as well, more than a few calls come in on this type of thing,...which unfortunatly begs the question cause the locals if you call them ahead of time frequently can be a real pain,...
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Critique:
The title is somewhat misleading. "Jumping Away from the Normal Dropzone" leads one to think the article is intended for youngsters jumping at DZs other than their home DZ.

Otherwise, thanks, guys....it WILL be helpful in the future.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

First of all, make sure that everyone jumping into the area is qualified and skilled enough to safely do so.

You already had a lot in the article, so to expand on this would probably be an entirely separate article, but it seems like there's a LOT embedded underneath this statement that would be good to consider - how do you evaluate readiness? What kinds of things do you want to consider?

Related, but separate, might be some advice on how to assess a landing area for suitability - what to look for, identifying hazards, outs, the importance of getting out and actually WALKING the area before you decide to jump into it, etc.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I really want to jump on the beach where I live in the summer, and by that I mean I absolutely am doing it, just need to work out a plan.

This part of the article confused me though

Advance "notification" to Air Traffic Control is not required when jumping at a location in Class A, B, C, or D Airspace because an advance “authorization” is required from the respective controlling agency.

Maybe I missed it in another part of your piece, but it seems like you're saying I don't need to notify air traffic control, because I already notified atc.

Could you clarify this for me.

... it seems like you're saying I don't need to notify air traffic control, because I already notified atc.

Yes, that is basically what it is saying, because of the difference in meaning of those words.

If they (ATC) are authorizing it, they will note this somewhere so their controllers will know about it, and therefore they don't need any further notification. They were notified by asking permission and it being granted.

Critique: The title is somewhat misleading. "Jumping Away from the Normal Dropzone" leads one to think the article is intended for youngsters jumping at DZs other than their home DZ.

Understood. Any other title I could think of was a lot longer. Since articles are archived, it would be easier to find and use with a better title.

Many people call such jumps "demos", but they aren't really, so a title using that would not be accurate.

I dunno...

I know aircraft were not in the scope of the article but I have often wondered about jumping from a light plane that has not set up as a jump plane. Are their FAA rules about that? I guess the pilot would need a bailout rig at the least.

Thanks.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

dthames

I know aircraft were not in the scope of the article but I have often wondered about jumping from a light plane that has not set up as a jump plane. Are their FAA rules about that? I guess the pilot would need a bailout rig at the least. Thanks.

Yes, that is quite a topic in itself, and there are a lot of variables. I'm not quite up to an article about it. Perhaps a discussion here can answer most of your questions.

Reference to what used to be the rules adds confusion to the article. The correct reference for the advisory circular is AC 105-2d.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

Reference to what used to be the rules adds confusion to the article.

I don't disagree, especially for a newer jumper, but part of the reason for the article was to explain historically why people are confusing "notification" with "NOTAM".

The correct reference for the advisory circular is AC 105-2d.

I left off the version because of recent controversies associated with -2D, its withdrawal, etc. There was a thread somewhere here, sorry I don't have a link. I felt it best to just refer to the base document.

Good article..

I would add..... Carry a working cell phone with the DZ's phone number and either a paper or good mental image of the surroundings. It is possible to land out and not know where your are.

It happened to me in TX and I landed beside a seriously injured skydiver. Having my cell phone (that worked in this area) made a big difference to the guy who was injured.
Dano

Gary,

You and Mike did a great job.
Most importantly, it gives someone thinking about it a starting point and to solicit advice from their local "old timers."

Keith
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.