Andy9o8

New passport rules for travel in North America.

Not certain which forum this belongs in, but I put it in here because it affects cross-border travel to DZs. Moderators, please feel free to move it if you feel appropriate.

http://travel.aol.com/travel/DepartmentPage?id=1000220&cid=AOLCOMMtravDYNLprim0001

Under the government's new Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, everyone (including kids) will be required to show their passport when traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean and Bermuda.

The only exception will be if you travel to a U.S. territory, such as Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands. There, your driver's license and birth certificate will still be all you need.

WHEN WILL THE CHANGES TAKE EFFECT
The deadline for when these new passport rules kick is keeps changing, so beware of outdated information. The current timeline is:

If you're traveling by air, you will need your passport beginning on January 23, 2007.

If you are traveling by land or sea, new passport rules will go into effect as early as January 2008.

when they originally annoucned this change 2 years back they had said that the us virgin island and puerto rico WOULD be included on that list of needing passports...

they kinda changed that one at the last minute..

glad i wont need to get one to goto the PR boogie..
--------------------------------------------
www.facebook.com/agentlead

I like having a passport and try to never be without one. I like the idea that I can take off on an international trip at a moment's notice. Not that I ever really have, but I like the idea that I can.

It has other practical benefits - it's good for me to have a backup form of government-issued photo ID for domestic travel; I travel all the time for work - losing my driver's license and having to wait the week or so to get the new one from the DMV could be a major inconvenience. Having the passport not only makes it easier to get a new driver's license, it gives me something else to get through airline security.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

The current timeline is:

If you're traveling by air, you will need your passport beginning on January 23, 2007.

If you are traveling by land or sea, new passport rules will go into effect as early as January 2008.

We think that these new rules for Canadians is going to be a PITA -- considering that we'll have to pay $100 to renew our passports every 5 years with a full reapplication process (whether you renew or are getting a passport for the first time), and wait for 2-3 hours in a passport office (or if we apply by mail, we have to temporarily surrender a health card or a driver's license or some other government ID). Kinda inconvenient.

Consider that less than a third of us seem to have passports, this will hurt US-Canada travel.

Fortunately, my renewed passport is going to arrive Dec 14th. Just wish it wasn't as inconvenient for millions of people, especially if you want to bring your SO or a friend to a boogie, or visit family, etc.