Andy9o8

When should low-number jumpers speak up about safety issues?

Scenario 1, for sure. Could have jumped lower - chose not to. Really a matter of preference. It was just good to know that there was no flack about it - even though would have done the same either way.
If was emergency, out the door no problem -

OK, just making sure. It's important.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Scenario 1, for sure. Could have jumped lower - chose not to. Really a matter of preference. It was just good to know that there was no flack about it - even though would have done the same either way.
If was emergency, out the door no problem -

OK, just making sure. It's important.

Agreed!

"The helicopter approaches closer than any other to fulfillment
of mankind's ancient dreams of a magic carpet" - Igor Sikorsky

I've told this before, but it it SOOOO relevant to this thread...

Incident 1) 20 years ago, had recently graduated from the student program at a far-away DZ and was making my first few jumps at a "private club" DZ near my home. Though I was a bit of a pest, these guys were great and did much to help me.

I asked for a pin check from a guy who held an instructor rating. He said if I was going to jump there I needed to learn to take care of myself. (I'm sure he was trying to help me become more confident and self-sufficient, but I had already seen other things that made me nervous and I didn't know how to handle this.)

I discreetly sent a brief note to USPA explaining the situation and asking advice. (I did not identify any individual nor the DZ.) I never received a reply, and assumed my question wasn't worthy of anybody's time and let it go.

Two months later my letter was printed in PARACHUTIST. This got me banned for life.

Incident 2) A few years later, at another DZ three hours from home, I had my first malfunction, followed by a hard pull on the cutaway, a chop at around 2000', and a hard pull on the reserve. Got open at 400'. Expected praise for keeping my head and saving my life; instead got kicked off the DZ.

Incident 3) Later that year, at yet another DZ, we reached 1900' before hitting the cloud bottoms. Two guys jumped, another lady & I rode down. While standing around afterward, I blurted out the exit altitude without thinking. The two guys got reprimanded. I apologized to them for my carelessness, and worried that I was continuing to make myself unpopular at every DZ within a day's drive of my home. (This did not happen, but I was getting real paranoid about such things at the time.)

Incident 4) While visiting a large DZ a few years ago, I did a solo following three groups involved in an RW camp. After waiting ten seconds, I exited and went into a dive. I saw the last group and tracked over toward them, stopping about 100' out, and watched. I knew they weren't expecting me to be there, so I pulled before they reached their break-off altitude.

I had removed myself from their sky before they started tracking, and there was no danger of a collision. However, one lady spent the rest of the afternoon freaking out about it. According to her, I just fell out the door on their heels and ended up in their space without any clue as to how I got there.

I concede that, as a visitor, they didn't know me and had valid reason to wonder who I was and what I was doing there. I caused a distraction, and most likely interfered with their dive flow. In hindsight, I shouldn't have done that and won't do it again without first talking about it beforehand.

But there was never any threat to anyone's safety, and I didn't appreciate being insulted and talked down to by someone who was in diapers when I made my first jump. I visited that DZ two years later and she was still telling people I almost got her killed. Sigh...

But she sure is cute, though.

Final Incident) A few weeks back, while preparing to board the plane, one of the younger guys (at this point, most of them are younger) suddenly grabbed my chest strap and pulled hard. He said he was just making sure. I thanked him and smiled.

No shit, there I was...

Cheers,
Jon

This place was a student S/L "mill" before "tandem mills" existed. Back when all their student rigs were cheapos (round military surplus canopies), which don't give the softest landings, they used to teach S/L first jump course students, "We teach the standup landing method...", which translated to: they only taught the students to keep their feet and knees together at landing, but unlike most other DZ's, they never taught them how to do a PLF, or even mentioned it.

Andy, now that we've exchanged PM's we're both sure we ARE talking about the same place. I took my first jump course there, back in '74 and we were taught the real PLF. Never heard any mumbo jumbo about teaching students to do standup landings.

In defense of this dropzone, which was probably the biggest operation around our region at the time, there were some progressive features. While they used static lines, which were the ONLY training method at the time, they used the direct bag deployment type, which was better than most of the jury rigged S/L's I saw at other DZ's, which are also now defunct and shall likewise go unnamed. This DZ also used Sentinel MK2000 AOD's on their student reserves, which was definitely progressive for the times. And sure they used surplus T-10's and 24 ft reserves, but that was standard issue for the day - a time when 200 jumps under a Paracommander was a requirement before you even got to touch a square - and considering some of those squares back then, that was a good idea.

I wouldn't call them a "mill" any more than any other dropzone that realizes their profit margin is with training students. It's just that the college kids who got "milled" had a rougher "seat of the pants" adventure than any of the tandem kids do today. And a lot more broken legs and ankles too, but that was also to be expected. And a good indication of how much better things are now.

The DZO was definitely a "colorful personality" and we'd all seen him physically chase several people (and an ex-wife or two) off the property. But he was always pretty strict about safety and grounded a few people for good reasons, usually for low pulls. He chewed my ass out once for pulling at 2 grand when I had about 40 jumps, and I took it to heart and cleaned up my act. But he definitely knew who he liked and who he didn't like, and if he didn't like you, you were flat out of luck.

The place definitely had an attitude problem and I know what you're talking about. Those of us who persevered and learned how to skydive basically did it on our own, inspite of a boneheaded DZ culture that was little or no help. But I saw the fatal accident you described (the first fatality I ever saw), and some of the details you describe as to what may have contributed to it are very saddening, I mean after 29 years there's not much to be done for it. It just makes an old memory infinitely sadder.

But that place is gone and from what I can see, things are so much better for students now. Students have got to remember they're not just the consumer (though they are that too), their ass and their life are on the line, so walk away from any operation that flips you an attitude about your safety concerns. They don't deserve your business - or anyone else's.

RIP Nick.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

When I took my FJC there in '75, I specifically remember my FJI (you know the 2 who were doing it back then; you probably had one of them) telling us that they taught "the stand-up landing method there". There was absolutely no teaching or even mention of PLF, at all, of that I'm certain. Yes, the student gear was decent for the time (especially when they remembered to give you the rigs with the Sentinel and the Stevens system); my only reason for mentioning the military surplus canopies (which we all know were universally nicknamed "cheapos") was just to note the fact that they landed hard enough to warrant teaching PLFs to FJC students.

If you don't think they were a "mill", ok, I think you spent more total time there than I did, so I'll defer to your judgment. I was 18 & 19 at the time, so I'm still looking at it through those eyes.

OK, in fairness to the DZO, I do remember hearing about him disciplining jumpers for dumping low, but I also know that he had 4 fatalities there within about 3 or 4 years (which one may or may not think was a lot for a medium-size DZ in the '70s), so I guess he was a little touchy about it. (ROFL - yeah, I heard at least one "wife" story, too...something about a gun I think...sheesh...). But the shitty attitude he and some of the up-timers had toward novices that I recounted was absolutely there, and as I told you in PM, I think it probably contributed to driving away some novices who might otherwise have stayed with the sport. I also strongly suspect that it contributed to that fatality. All history has lessons that last a long time; so after 29 years, what's to be done about it? What we're doing now - talking about it and hoping it just might help the people in the sport today.

I can only echo what you say: Students, don't let anyone intimidate you out of watching out for safety. I'm heartened by the responses the up-timers who've responded to this thread have had, and I hope all the other up-timers (and those who soon will be) will keep this in mind, too.

Blue skies, Nick.