lifesatrip

Suit or Jumpsuit to skydiver funeral

Unfortunately a fellow skydiver has been taken away. I have always heard that when you go to a skydivers funeral that you should wear your jumpsuit. I have only had to do this once and I did. Now I am hearing that that is not appropriate anymore. What are your thoughts?

For me it would largely depend on where the service is being held. If it's at the dropzone, dropzone casual is generally appropriate. If it's at a church or other religious setting, I've always taken it up a notch and worn a nice pair of pants (or skirt) and a blouse. Men at those tend to wear something a step up from jeans (like khakis or dress pants) and a collared shirt, sometimes a tie. I don't see a lot of suits, but that doesn't mean you can't wear one.

I've never seen anyone wear a jumpsuit (other than if it's a group of folks gathering for a few words after an ash dive and the ash dive participants are still in their jumpsuits), and I've probably been to a dozen or so memorial services over the last 9 years. [:/]

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Wearing a jump suit might seem like a good idea to show the support of fellow skydivers.

However, it could also be considered insensitive to the non-jumping family, who might see it as a reminder of the thing which caused the death of their loved one.

So, the way to go is to respect the wishes of the family, as they are most important at a time like that. Even if their thinking about what the jumpsuit represents isn't what you intended. They don't need to be reminded of how he died, but rather of how many people loved him.

When I was a young man, I showed up to a family funeral, dressed in jeans (nice ones) and a button down.

My father approached me, and said "Every man should own at least one good suit, for occasions such as this."

I took it to heart, heeded his advice and acted accordingly.

One black suit, a tie, white shirt.

Years later I have a few more as business warrants but I never forgot his words.

AndyBoyd

Is this a troll? A jumpsuit at a funeral? You can't be serious.

Hi Andy.

Hey I attended one back in the 80's in which the deceased was wearing a jumpsuit!

Cancer took him not skydiving...if he'd have gone in and they dressed him that way - would have been kinda weird.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

***Is this a troll? A jumpsuit at a funeral? You can't be serious.

Hi Andy.

Hey I attended one back in the 80's in which the deceased was wearing a jumpsuit!

Cancer took him not skydiving...if he'd have gone in and they dressed him that way - would have been kinda weird.

Well, I guess the deceased didn't really have a choice as to what he was wearing. ;) Those that can still make choices should not wear jumpsuits to funerals.

AndyBoyd

******Is this a troll? A jumpsuit at a funeral? You can't be serious.

Hi Andy.

Well, I guess the deceased didn't really have a choice as to what he was wearing. ;) Those that can still make choices should not wear jumpsuits to funerals.

Yeah ok...I'll buy that! B|

Suit...or at least a shirt and tie and jacket...[:/]

Not EVERYone there will be jumpers or former jumpers....
Family members who are whuffos might not know how to react to someone in a jumpsuit...
though i think i understand where your heart is and where you are coming from....
Maybe an airborne team member or someone in the services would have Pals and comrades who would wanna "represent"...but otherwise,,, No. imho.

Have had to attend a few such services... :( proper decorum is appreciated...:|...and expected...
sorry for the loss of your friend...[:/]

Ya'all have permission to wear a jumpsuit to mine. If I ever actually get around to arranging it, I'll arrange for beer. If anyone complains, just tell them that even after he got me, I'm still laughing at Death.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

jimmytavino

Suit...or at least a shirt and tie and jacket...[:/]

Not EVERYone there will be jumpers or former jumpers....
Family members who are whuffos might not know how to react to someone in a jumpsuit...
though i think i understand where your heart is and where you are coming from....
Maybe an airborne team member or someone in the services would have Pals and comrades who would wanna "represent"...but otherwise,,, No. imho.

Have had to attend a few such services... :( proper decorum is appreciated...:|...and expected...
sorry for the loss of your friend...[:/]

At the funeral I attended in which the deceased was wearing a jumpsuit it was obviously felt inappropriate by some family members.

I recall hearing after the service some wife telling her hubby~ "...But I guess he really liked the skydiving thing"

He said~ "Yeah and I like to wear a speedo a propeller beanie and play the french horn...just don't put me in a box like that,"

:o:D

When a friend of ours was taken from us in Afghanistan, all skydivers attending the funeral were asked by his family to wear their jumpsuits in the cathederal for the service; those who were military but not skydivers were asked to wear appropriate uniform; and all others were asked to wear suits. Was a very touching and personal way to pay tribute to him given the huge amount of attendees.

Respect the occasion. I think a suit is appropriate and or in the very least, dress slacks and a collared shirt with proper socks, shoes and belt.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

If not sure - minimize the risk.

It will be less embarrassing if you wear a suit and others are in jumpuits than if you are in a jumpsuit and everyone else is in a suit.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Because of his health conditions we have had this talk at our house. We (he) decided that the only appropriate way to celebrate his life would be tie die. Depends on the jumper, the family and your relationship with him, but for us, it will be tie die. Also, his obit pic will be one of him in freefall with a big smile on his face.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]