normiss

Pencil packing???

Well of course. But I don't give a shit what the other guy has on his back.:D

If someone is stupid enough to not take care of their rig and jump it out of date...

Right up until the point they come through you on final.

A rigger pencil packing anything other than their own rig that never leaves their sight/direct supervision, a very bad idea, IMO.

You took my comments out of context.

Are military rigs subject to the same regs as civilian rigs? Are military riggers subject to the same rules as civilian riggers?

Our military rigger regulations for the most part mirror civilian regulations. Just a few differences.

Our freefall mains and reserves both have a 120 day pack cycle (we are looking to change this to 180 for the new freefall system on the reserve)

Military (MC-4) reserves are not sealed. Riggers keep and maintain control of the rigs when they are not on a jumpers back, so if a pin gets popped or we suspect something is funny it gets a repack.

Our system of logging the work is a little different. We keep a log book for the main and reserve with every rig that the packer and supervisor signs every time the chute is packed, and an inspector signs the chute after every inspection prior to issue and after return. I have never personally seen pencil packing take place on a personnel chute (cargo chutes, eh who knows) but have heard rumors and stories once or twice in my career.

>5 year repack cycle anyone?

George Galloway has been doing testing through 20 years or so. They still open just fine.

Of course whether a typical (in-use) rig will actually open after 20 years is another story . . .

I brought an old Steve Talbot rig made in 1979 with a stratos cloud main, it was found in a house clearance, couldn't tell you when the reserve was last packed maybe 25 years ago?, im guessing 80s still has a belly band throw away. it would be interesting to see if that still worked. any volunteers :P and when were belly bands banned???
Spank the

Belly bands were never banned.

Problems with them were identified in the 1970's, and most (if not all) rigs quit making them sometime around then. My first Wonderhog was bought in 1979 and it didn't have a belly band.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Pretty easy to avoid, just pop your reserve when it is due a repack and pull it out of the free bag. Also a great opportunity to practice your reserve drill!

no way, the rig needs to be test-dropped. Check with TSE for example in the UK. They might be able to help out :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

What is the reason for the cycle to be 180 days?

We have 360 days here.

do you have seasonal jumping where you can not jump ALL year?

I personally like the 6 month cycle, i lot can happen to a rig in 6 months of use, dirt grime, grass, twigs. depending on the jumpers landing area, landing skills, and personal rig maintenance.
you cant effectively have different cycles for each person so a 6 month cycle seems appropriate.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

airtwardo

~ When ya bitch about 'someone' trolling OLD POSTS!

Poof and one shows up! LOL! :D

Yup. I called someone on his shit, and he did the same thing to me, I just haven't started very many threads, so his pickings were pretty slim.

And I am probably jumping at shadows, but I got a rather odd "friend request" on facebook. Cute girl in the picture, 1 mutual friend. I accepted.
Looked at her other friends (4 others). 3 were black teenagers in various parts of the country. Iowa, Utah and somewhere else. One was a musician of some sort.
Messaged the mutual friend and she didn't know her either. Just accepted a strange friend request.

Got a message from this "girl" saying hi, and that she had to log off, so I should give her my cell number so she could text me.

Hmmmmmm.

I am going to do a bit more checking, but I have a funny feeling it's a certain banned, serial sockpuppet. I'm pretty easy to find. My real name is in my profile and I use the same picture of my dog by my canopy in both.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo