Pilotkev33

Hand slap tradition?

chuckakers

Not sure where it started or when, but I would personally prefer we spend those extra few seconds checking gear, or the spot, or something a bit more productive.

Given how many people go out the door with gear gigs, plow through clouds, and an assortment of other silly crap I think we would be better served by paying attention to the task at hand instead of celebrating before a successful landing.

How 'bout we play slap-ass *after* the jump.

I thought I was the only person that thought this...
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

rather than spending the 10 minutes it takes to get to altitude staring out the window or off into oblivion, take care of the obvious. make sure your harness is full fascened, turn your pilot chute all the way in, put on your helmet/goggles, have your pin checked before the door opens, check the spot.

...and seat belts off, helmets secured before the door opens.

Yeah, right...how many of you insist that the door is open on take-off in the summer?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Where were you when I got distracted by my 'student' on a Coached jump and lost my frappe hat and Neptune?
:D:D:D:P

Bitswd

Simple enough question, but as always on DZ.com it turned in to the stupidest thread ever. The guy was just asking a simple question and it got turned into a pissing contest. And of coarse some young jumper camera references had to be added for effect.

You sound like someone's bitchy whuffo wife. They love to call a good skydiving discussion a pissing contest.

Some of us see the prospect of a new topic as an opportunity to actually discuss various aspects of the topic. The OP said they were new to the sport, so commenting on the "why" or "why not" is as relevant as answering the question.

If you really want to see a waste of a post, re-read yours.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Well said. You hit all of the usual notes; and finished with a nice quippy response. You even managed to call me a "bitchy whuffo wife" in your eloquent response. Well done. I'm a male skydiver. New to the sport too. This is a discussion about handshakes. Not a discussion about you. Cool it.

popsjumper

rather than spending the 10 minutes it takes to get to altitude staring out the window or off into oblivion, take care of the obvious. make sure your harness is full fascened, turn your pilot chute all the way in, put on your helmet/goggles, have your pin checked before the door opens, check the spot.

...and seat belts off, helmets secured before the door opens.

Yeah, right...how many of you insist that the door is open on take-off in the summer?

any load iv ever been on, the door stays closed and your helmet/seatbelt stays on until 1000 feet. if you choose to remove your helmet after said altitude, it must be secured to your chest strap. or at least that's the protocol that i have always followed. in any case, im never looking for a hand to slap, if it comes my way and im available, i slap it. but im usually splitting my attention between the light, and the dropzone, once turning

on jumprun that is. and of course after all my gear checks have been done redundantly.

Bitswd

Well said. You hit all of the usual notes; and finished with a nice quippy response. You even managed to call me a "bitchy whuffo wife" in your eloquent response. Well done. I'm a male skydiver. New to the sport too. This is a discussion about handshakes. Not a discussion about you. Cool it.

Noob (if you really are), I didn't call you anything. I said your comments "sound like" a whuffo wife and did so for the purpose of making a point. If you're too slow to figure that out you might want to get out of the kitchen.

"Cool it"? Wrong venue for that.

You're right about one thing. This discussion isn't about me. That's why I didn't make it about me. Think, bro. I was/am discussing the wisdom or lack thereof of the behaviors in the discussion at hand. That has nothing to do with me.

Might want to read through some of the many, many, MANY posts from older, more experienced folks on the thousands of threads here before you make yourself look foolish. This is what we call an OPEN forum, where EVERYONE is welcome to take the conversation in any direction they choose with the exception of forums that the moderators want to keep specific.

BTW, if you want to be taken seriously here, I suggest you identify yourself clearly with your REAL name and your REAL data. Otherwise, to the relevant among us you are just another troll.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

nigel99

***Not sure where it started or when, but I would personally prefer we spend those extra few seconds checking gear, or the spot, or something a bit more productive.

Given how many people go out the door with gear gigs, plow through clouds, and an assortment of other silly crap I think we would be better served by paying attention to the task at hand instead of celebrating before a successful landing.

I get that it's a distraction, but as cautious as I am this is one thing that I actually enjoy.

I would never do this on jumprun or bother an instructor or their student when they're working, but before jumprun and done lightly (i.e. not doing it to someone who's checking their gear or being insistent about it) it's cool just to relax and wish people a good jump.

Then again I don't get on the plane not ready to jump, and I alternate between getting the altitude picture and checking my straps, routing, 3 rings, handles, RSL etc. continuously. I also don't take off my helmet (personal choice because I wear glasses with a full face and don't want to have to bail without being able to put my helmet and glasses on in time if I ever had to) so I guess I never really thought of this as worth considering as a dangerous distraction.

If you start out safe before you get on the plane and don't do silly things like stop spotting or gear checking to do it I still think it's a cool gesture before a jump. I guess that first part isn't always true unfortunately.
well...I was going skydiving anyway. let's go.
Earn your pancakes.

I don't even know why you're responding to my posts. Can you even hear me while you're standing so high on your soap box? Judging by your responses; this conversation is useless. Your ego and lack of intelligence will dissuade you from any form of meaningful exchange. The OP was asking about a handshake! and the traditions involved.

beeman

******Not sure where it started or when, but I would personally prefer we spend those extra few seconds checking gear, or the spot, or something a bit more productive.

I get that it's a distraction, but as cautious as I am this is one thing that I actually enjoy.

I would never do this on jumprun or bother an instructor or their student when they're working, but before jumprun and done lightly (i.e. not doing it to someone who's checking their gear or being insistent about it) it's cool just to relax and wish people a good jump.

Then again I don't get on the plane not ready to jump, and I alternate between getting the altitude picture and checking my straps, routing, 3 rings, handles, RSL etc. continuously. I also don't take off my helmet (personal choice because I wear glasses with a full face and don't want to have to bail without being able to put my helmet and glasses on in time if I ever had to) so I guess I never really thought of this as worth considering as a dangerous distraction.

If you start out safe before you get on the plane and don't do silly things like stop spotting or gear checking to do it I still think it's a cool gesture before a jump. I guess that first part isn't always true unfortunately.

You think this is a distraction...Wait until I grab ya and give ya a big wet kiss before you climb out ;)
Rainbo
TheSpeedTriple - Speed is everything
"Blessed are those who can give without remembering, and take without forgetting."

popsjumper

Where were you when I got distracted by my 'student' on a Coached jump and lost my frappe hat and Neptune?
:D:D:D:P

I don't remember us doing funky handshakes though (Although I will admit that riding to altitude next to skymama is possibly more distracting than a handshake:))

BTW, one thing the handshake can do is calm down 'peaking' students, by giving them a distraction and something else to focus on.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Airtwardo said it correct:

That 'hand slap' is merely the 'latest' in a long and distinguished line of 'one of US' type greetings.

I'd add that is is also a salute to sky friends, a brotherhood/bonding, AKA "Hail!" meaning something fuzzy like, "This ain't Scrabble here! It's Bitchin' Blue, beautiful and bonkers! Dig it!"

Hand slapping got towards drama about '93 - '94 when Freefly was unborn but kicking hard.
... it can now be like the handshake of friends greeting: courtesy. For some, It will forever connote gleeful emotion, and shared joys: respect.

Quote from the 3rd Godfrog Fable,

"....Is that skin or did you have it done? Looks way rad, lad."

"Frog skin, drum-dyed. Rolled and pleated. Standard flysuit, Dude”

Fidgeting, they gaze out the door. Frank sings tuneless songs into the door-wind and fingers pierced skull chain attachments. C.G. idly looks for bugs.

At 12,000 feet AGL they re-animate, don goggles, do routine hand- jive. Warm smiles and nods with deep breathing end in fluttery hand –arm moves like butterflies leaving a flower. Jump door opening dissipates thick methane. They turn to the other skydivers in the plane, smile, nod, present palms, point fingers, fists, press flesh, and exclaim, "Have a good one!" Decisive smile-nods. .. . . "

As far as I am concerned, if you wait until jump run to sort your gear out so that you haven't got the spare attention to do some stupid little hand shake, then your personal admin needs a serious kick up the arse. IMHO this kind of slap-dash last minute bullshit is far more serious and dangerous than simply sticking a GoPro to your forehead.

nigel99

***Not sure where it started or when, but I would personally prefer we spend those extra few seconds checking gear, or the spot, or something a bit more productive.

I pount it with other jumpers before getting out :D But I agree, people are always trying to high five or pound when I'm getting my goggles on or trying to do my handle check before exit.

Also, a variation - pound-slap-explode (fist to open hand)

Bitswd

I don't even know why you're responding to my posts. Can you even hear me while you're standing so high on your soap box? Judging by your responses; this conversation is useless. Your ego and lack of intelligence will dissuade you from any form of meaningful exchange. The OP was asking about a handshake! and the traditions involved.

You're right about one thing. This conversation is useless.

;)
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

the middle finger "hand shake"

Learned that one many years ago at a small DZ and exchanged it with others at CouchFreaks. Had not seen it in a while until last year when I was at another DZ at the opposite end of an Otter from someone I've known for a few years.

The tradition was usually to flip someone the bird and say very politely, "Have a Nice Skydive!". It was fun in this recent situation to just flip him the bird and smile.

:)

Bitswd

Ummmmm..you might want to find out who you are addressing before you go hammering. Just sayin'

For us older farts... It started back during Vietnam, the civil rights era, etc. It was called "Dapping."

http://books.google.com/books?id=IS_MgHE35BIC&pg=PA88&lpg=PA88&dq=the+origin+of+dapping+handshakes&source=bl&ots=goMRx9vetz&sig=mhDGjO5MVBOmIiTMXI4LkmM9Mno&hl=en&sa=X&ei=i_KxUeS3AemXyAGFq4DgAw&ved=0CDUQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=the%20origin%20of%20dapping%20handshakes&f=false

I started my military career in the 2nd Armored Division in 1974 and can still remember my unit's "Dap."
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Bitswd

I don't even know why you're responding to my posts. Can you even hear me while you're standing so high on your soap box?

If you don't feel slightly insulted or put down by others' posts here on DZ, get used to it. It happens to all of us. It's all part of the discussion, and the way things come across in text on the internet.

As for hand slaps and the like, I remember at one DZ for a couple years the special hand shakes always changing and becoming more complex. When the hand shake is harder to memorize than your 4-way formations, it's going way too far...