corpkid

Relaxing? - HELP?

I am doing tunnel training in prep for AFF (have 30 mins in tunnel so far, 0 solo jumps) with Ari and prior to my first 15 with him I was so loose and doing side to sides and was all over the tunnel on command - I'm very stable. Last coach before Ari was pushing me around and running under me, etc and I maintained position. Last time, I was a wreck - and this was with Ari. What gives? About a month went between sessions - is that it? If so I'm going back in Monday night for 15 before I see him again Weds. LOL

Seriously - I was so tense it doesn't make sense. I could feel it while I was crawling the bottom net - which I had not done in my last sessions (was all over the tunnel, doing well). I didn't jump far enough into the tunnel this time (not a problem before) and when I did I sank. etc. It was not where I was at - by the end I was fine but was hoping for a "from this point" with Ari, who is awesome but I think I had something going on. To that point - I had gotten sick at work but felt OK at fly time - does this happen to you? These are expensive lessons so I want to make the most. How do you relax when you are not feeling 100%?

Thanks!
d

Think that was frustrating?

Just wait until you have about 50 seconds of working time from a perfectly good airplane...

Don't over think this. It's iterative, each experience building on the last. Just when you think you got it? You'll have a horrendous experience. It is what it is.

This takes time, and patience. The tunnel is amazing and will teach you a lot. However, a skydive is on it's own level as well. Not only do you have body flight to consider but everything that follows it.

You don't relax when your not 100%. You have an off day, period. You go back and hit it again.

All the tunnel time in the world won't fix this just like sometimes mondays just SUCK.

Enjoy it, shake it off when it's not perfect and don't wait for some golden egg before you start AFF. Just go do it.

Peace

For some reason I'm always more nervous before going in the tunnel than going in the plane. As soon as they start the fan up, I'm fine. Last time I was in there I had no objectives other than to play around and relaxed the moment I hit the air. It made a pretty big difference in my flying, too.

I think tension and performance can create a feedback loop for this stuff -- you tense up, which causes your performance to suffer, which causes you to worry about that and tense up some more. Just take a breath, smile, relax and have fun!

By the same token, if you're relaxed you'll fly better, have more fun, worry less and the feedback loop will be a good one.

Even if you don't think you're doing so great in there (or on any particular jump) you're still learning something from it and the experience will improve your flying. It's OK to have a tunnel session or a jump you thought wasn't the greatest performance.

From what it sounds like, you're way more prepared than I was going into AFF. All this work may be expensive, but if it keeps you from having to repeat an AFF jump down the road, it's probably paying for itself!
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I'm so not scared or worried - I just tensed up unlike before. I think Ari is my hero and I'm afraid of letting him down. LOL That said, I have been thinking about my mindset. I got this - I'm not far from back flying said to me by two coaches in the tunnel who were running all types of interference on my belly fly. I got this next week and had an off session this time... Deep breath... (I was also ready to puke due to cramps from a crap lunch at....)

Thanks all. Report more on Weds after my next 15

Jazz hands. :D

No, seriously. If you find yourself tensing up, wiggle your fingers. It actually works. I used to do it all the time in the tunnel and in the sky when I was new. :)

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Bad session is all I can say - I've just spent 55 mins watching my 15 mins in the tunnel - Jazz hands I get - RELAX and let the wind work you. Last session was still bad. I did better before. LOL. I'm holding further comments till next week since I basically had food poisoning last sesh. haha DAMN YOU TIUANA FLATS. :(

I can see that I was cheeting before - way too much arm stuff - Ari had nothing to do with that so that's perhaps why I "lost traction" LOL

I am doing tunnel training in prep for AFF (have 30 mins in tunnel so far, 0 solo jumps) with Ari and prior to my first 15 with him I was so loose and doing side to sides and was all over the tunnel on command - I'm very stable.

Screw you. It took me 45 minutes to do what you did in 2. I have N0 sympathy.
:D:D:D

Last coach before Ari was pushing me around and running under me, etc and I maintained position. Last time, I was a wreck - and this was with Ari. What gives? About a month went between sessions - is that it? If so I'm going back in Monday night for 15 before I see him again Weds. LOL

Seriously - I was so tense it doesn't make sense. I could feel it while I was crawling the bottom net - which I had not done in my last sessions (was all over the tunnel, doing well). I didn't jump far enough into the tunnel this time (not a problem before) and when I did I sank. etc. It was not where I was at - by the end I was fine but was hoping for a "from this point" with Ari, who is awesome but I think I had something going on. To that point - I had gotten sick at work but felt OK at fly time - does this happen to you? These are expensive lessons so I want to make the most. How do you relax when you are not feeling 100%?

Thanks!
d
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239