SFBayArea

AFF Student... Still waiting for jitters to be gone

Hi guys,

I am new to the forum and new to the Skydiving.
I took AFF course and already did my first three jumps. Prior to my first jump I of course was scarred, but figured as soon as I jump once I will have no more fear of jumping from the plane. Oh boy was I wrong. My second and third jump was just as scary on the way up and most of all when that dam door rolls up and it is my turn to walk to the door. Once I exit the plane I love it, the rush of the air the feeling of peace when canopy opens. However, climbing to the 13K feet in the plane and that open door to which I have to walk to really gives me jitters.
I understand and tell myself its fun and that you've done it couple of times already, but I guess something on much more primeval level disagree with my comments and make me think before every jump if I want to do it or not. Moreover, when I am on the plane I look around and here and there spot nervousness (shaky hands, gulping eyes, sweating) on the people who I thought should not really have it anymore.

I know this subject been discussed here before. However, I just wonder when some of you stopped having these jitters and how you battle them?

I just finished my AFF progression and can very much understand what you're saying.

I can't and shouldn't and won't give you advice on jumping - But I will share my experiences on the subject; First and foremost, I still get anxious/nervous sometimes. Heck, there was one AFF jump where I just completely flaked out, forgot my dive flow, EP's, exit, and called the whole thing off literally AT THE DOOR and rode the plane back down.

For me, I discovered that tunel time helped with the anxiety enormously. Being comfortable in the tunnel makes me more comfortable in freefall - and thus reduces my apprehension about the whole jump. I also read "The Parachute and It's Pilot" by Brian Germain - It helps to explain the physics and carachteristics of canopy flight. I also insist on mocking up every single exit both with and without gear, with and without my coaches. I visualize the jump on the ride up (but not too much). I breathe, smile even if I have to force a fake smile, and remember that I'm there to learn and have fun!

I think that if there weren't ANY anxiety, maybe we might not do what we do. But finding what works for you in bringing that apprehension down to a manageable level is something that you'll also figure out.

I did 3 tandems while waiting to be old enough to do my AFF jumps. I can honestly say I wasn't scared for any of them. I figure that I just had a lot of trust in my TI's. It also helped being a 14 year old invincible kid and after hanging around the dropzone for 4 years watching my Dad jump I was just so excited to finally experience it.

For my 1st AFF jump I was nervous as I went to the door. On my 2nd jump I was very anxious / scared. I put this down to now having some idea of what was going on, how quickly things happen and could possible go wrong. With less excitement I had more time to be worried about details.

After I'd completed my AFF jumps I don't think I was anxious or scared at the door any more. I was so focused on having a nice stable exit and learning from every jump I didn't give myself time to worry.

Then I had a malfunction on my 14th jump.... and climbing to the door for 15 was nerve wracking.

Since then, I haven't felt any worries at the door. I really love that feeling of stepping out of a plane and look forward to it eagerly. I've had long breaks away from jumping (2x 6 year gaps) so I spent a lot of time dreaming about skydiving and realizing how much I missed it. I think this gave me an easy way to remove the fear and focus on the fun.

Two key moments that helped me.

The first was my fifth AFF jump where I exited the plane without the instructor holding on. I botched it and immediately found myself back-flying. Flipped myself right on over and proceeded on plan. From that point on, free fall didn't worry me. I had confidence in being able to recover.

The second was when I started packing my own parachute. Well, not that first time I did it... half didn't expect it to open. But after that first self-pack turned into success, the fear of opening malfunctions was gone (or is at least significantly less). I attribute that to having much better knowledge of the gear, and knowing that I packed it and can be sure I didn't skip any steps. Sure, it might malfunction anyway, but at least I start out with a consistent foundation. One less unknown.

Krip

Enjoy the jitters while they last, no xtra charge.:P

There is something to be said there. One of my favorite moments in sky diving was the first few times I was standing at the edge of the door, knowing I had to decide right then and there, and then doing it. That amazing feeling is now greatly diminished, even after my lowly jump numbers. I'd like it back.

Thank you guys for your replies. I understand now that it is a normal process of getting through the AFF. However, as I said at the beginning my human brain does not go intact with my "animal" brain. I try to convince myself that it is ok, it is normal, but yeah all these three times I stepped to the door edge was kind of nerve wrecking.

lookoutbelow: In your 5th jump, do you remember what you did wrong?

SFBayArea

lookoutbelow: In your 5th jump, do you remember what you did wrong?

Yes. I had so many things on my mind that I didn't focus on the very immediate task and I exited facing into the wind without an arch. The next few times I was at the door I just repeated "arch and legs, arch and legs" over and over and over to stop the other thoughts from taking over until I was stable.

I had 23 jumps when I got to my first winter break. The AFF jumps scared the shit out of me. But after the winter break, the fear was gone somehow. I think one of the main things that stress you during your AFF program, is the program itself.

You are not "free" to do what you want. You have to do your turns, barrell roll etc. and that means stress. When you get to your first solo, you will notice, that the fear you had turns into intensive excitement. There is no free fall program any more. Of course, you should have a plan. But you don't have to pass another level.

Some friends of mine told me, that they had that "door fear" for about 50 jumps. Other say 30 or 20 or 10... Whatever. It's individual.

I remember, that every time the door opened during AFF jumps, I felt like I was walking on water. My knees were shaky and I thought I could actually "fall" out of the plane. Now everything's cool and you will get to that point, too, sooner or later. Don't worry about it. Have fun and let things happen ;)

:)

My door fear largely vanished pretty early on. I think my subconscious realized that the gear would, in fact, save my life. My question to myself was "why am I so nervous here? What's the worst possible thing that could happen?" I realized that the worst possible thing I could imagine was falling out of the plane early somehow. That led directly to the realization that I was going to do that a few seconds later ANYWAY, and that I had a parachute on.

That being said, they opened the door on the otter while I was sitting on the floor in front of it and I distinctly felt my knees creeping into the side of the guy sitting next to me. So something's still there. I can sit in the door now and (think I) have a pretty good poker face, but there's still a wee bit of discomfort still nagging at me there. Now I think it's "If I have to land from here, it's going to have to be in that field over there and that's 5 miles from the nearest road!" I definitely relax more as we get higher and better options open up.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

FlyingRhenquest

I can sit in the door now and (think I) have a pretty good poker face, but there's still a wee bit of discomfort still nagging at me there.

Fooled me with that poker face, mr. stick your arm out the door as though you're driving down the highway... B|

FlyingRhenquest

they opened the door on the otter while I was sitting on the floor in front of it and I distinctly felt my knees creeping into the side of the guy sitting next to me.

Happened to me on my third - last jump I did. I was the last guy to get into the plane as I was supposed to be first to leave it. So my instructors climbed behind me and I was on the floor next to the door. It was hot and they opened the door as we climbed out. THAT WAS NOT HELPING me at all. I told myself I have a parachute and I have nothing to worry, but that ugly little nasty guy inside of me kept creeping out :-).

Moreover, when I am on the plane I look around and here and there spot nervousness (shaky hands, gulping eyes, sweating) on the people who I thought should not really have it anymore

Eh, it is nothing a few thousand jumps will not cure.

On a more serious note.... Duh. You are getting ready to throw yourself out of an airplane in flight. If you didn't have a bit of nerves, then you have a mental problem. And if someone tries to tell you they didn't have any nerves, then they are:
a. Lying.
b. Have a mental issue.

That is not to say it is not completely controllable. Nervousness is normal, healthy...etc. FEAR is unnecessary and controllable.

Best you can do is make sure you are prepared, stay current, and make sure you stay well within your comfort zone. You can do anything GIVEN TIME and EXPERIENCE. Don't bite off more than you can chew and you should be fine.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

SFBayArea

Happened to me on my third - last jump I did. I was the last guy to get into the plane as I was supposed to be first to leave it. So my instructors climbed behind me and I was on the floor next to the door. It was hot and they opened the door as we climbed out. THAT WAS NOT HELPING me at all. I told myself I have a parachute and I have nothing to worry, but that ugly little nasty guy inside of me kept creeping out :-).

Heck, on one of my AFF jumps I grabbed my instructor's knee during the ride up and didn't even know I did it until he lifted my up and off. That gave us both a good chuckle and helped me relax too.. And then there was my first hop-n-pop, where one of my coaches had to pretty much hold my hand once the yellow light came on:D. Once I was out though, my training and pre-planned diveflow kicked in and all is good.

I think that perhaps everyone experiences varying degrees of fear during varying stages of the jump at different times in their careers. You are definitely not aloneB|

I agree with Ron, though. The fear/anxiety/nervousness shouldnt be crippling. I liken it to when I was on partol in Iraq, and the fear I experienced there... It made me focus. That's one of the things I love about skydiving - I haven't felt that focused on anything since I was in Iraq.

There is a difference between mental fear and physical fear.

Mental fear happens in your head and is perfectly normal. You are afraid of bouncing and getting mangled, that's normal and good. It keeps you safe. Think of it as your friend.

Physical fear is when your mental fear gets out of control and makes you all panicky and out of control. You need to conquer this as it inhibits performance and may cause things to not end well for you.

You can get used to almost anything if you do it a lot, you just have to want it.

SFBayArea

Hi guys,

I took AFF course and already did my first three jumps. Prior to my first jump I of course was scarred, but figured as soon as I jump once I will have no more fear of jumping from the plane. Oh boy was I wrong. My second and third jump was just as scary on the way up and most of all when that dam door rolls up and it is my turn to walk to the door. Once I exit the plane I love it, the rush of the air the feeling of peace when canopy opens. However, climbing to the 13K feet in the plane and that open door to which I have to walk to really gives me jitters.
I understand and tell myself its fun and that you've done it couple of times already, but I guess something on much more primeval level disagree with my comments and make me think before every jump if I want to do it or not. Moreover, when I am on the plane I look around and here and there spot nervousness (shaky hands, gulping eyes, sweating) on the people who I thought should not really have it anymore.

I know this subject been discussed here before. However, I just wonder when some of you stopped having these jitters and how you battle them?

Jitters are part of the fun...it does go away with time. You'll be surprised when one day when you realize "hey, i'm going out of a plane..YOLO"

I just wonder when some of you stopped having these jitters

I guess at around 50 jumps

and how you battle them?

When I got to the DZ on Saturday moring I used to sneak behind the hangar and throw up. Then I'd be good to go for the weekend.

There is a wise woman on here that spoke about being nervous. It is very common to have butterflies in your stomach. Don't fight them. The secret is to get them all flying in the same direction.:)
A good first step is to simply change how you think about what you are feeling. Instead of being "nervous", think of it as feeling "anticipation" of the fun you are about to have. I love all aspects of the jump, from the ride up, to exit, all the way to landing. And I still get just a hint of that feeling of anticipation. If I didn't, I would question if I have become complacent and forgotten that we are jumping out of a fully functioning airplane for fun.

50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I went through the program last year and had the same experience. For me, the nerves got progressively worse until it peaked at jump #6. I asked my instructor on the ride up on that load if this feeling ever gets better. He said to enjoy it while it lasts because guys actually miss it as time goes on. It was always the ride up and then that dreaded walk to the door. Once my head was outside, things just clicked into place and I realized I was where I belonged.
Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

I agree with Ron, though. The fear/anxiety/nervousness shouldnt be crippling. I liken it to when I was on partol in Iraq, and the fear I experienced there... It made me focus. That's one of the things I love about skydiving - I haven't felt that focused on anything since I was in Iraq.

This is so well said. Skydiving is the first thing that I can 100% focus on, without any other thoughts entering my brain. I love that.

BigMikeH77

***I can sit in the door now and (think I) have a pretty good poker face, but there's still a wee bit of discomfort still nagging at me there.

Fooled me with that poker face, mr. stick your arm out the door as though you're driving down the highway... B|

Yeah, probably not a good idea to play poker with me either, heh heh heh
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

SFBayArea

Hi guys,

Believe it or not, your body will always react the same whether you have one jump or a thousand. There was a recent study in Physiology & Behavior that measured stress hormones before and after groups of novice jumpers (first jump) and experienced jumpers (I want to say the mean was 300-400 jumps). Body stress levels were always the same. What changes, it seems, is how we handle that stress. So while your mind will eventually fear the door less and less, your body is still pumped up like no tomorrow :)

Anyway, what really did it for me to help relax was passing the frontloops and barrel rolls jump. Once I realized I could get back on my belly without trouble or anyone holding on to me, I felt a lot better. From there, worry about jumps got less and less (until that blasted 3.5k hop and pop. I swear I could hear the cows moo).
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

You are not alone. Many folks feel distress for many jumps. There is quite a bit of variation in how long it lasts. However, it often lasts a while. For me I was still quite stressed at 30 jumps. I had a student who I coached who admitted last year that he was completely terrified all the way through his A-license, but that he hid his distress from all of us.

None of this distress has anything at all to do with the eventual outcome. The student I mentioned above has since earned a medal at nationals.

Your distress will last however long it lasts....

Embrace the suck.

Blue Skies!!!
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!