CSpenceFLY

Loose chest strap/Cypres fire.

JeffCa

Is there an accepted "correct" sequence to do this in?

I am pretty new to the sport, so don't take my words too seriously. I've been told that tightening the chest strap first is better, because it is easier to forget to tight it later (as opposed to the leg straps, that you will notice easier if they are not tighten).

ripcord4

Why not apply the KISS principle here and just use a B12 snap on the chest strap?

Okay - flame away!

Ahhh, so that was the problem, the gear was not designed to be outfitted in free-fall! I'd never have understood what caused this incident without your insight :P

It would be interesting to ponder the situation of what to do if you failed to connect your leg straps. I suspect you would discover that error as soon as you left the plane, as the relative wind tries to lift your container off your back. Assuming you were able to cross your arms and hang on, what should you do? (You would have about a minute to try something to fix it.) Anyone think it would be possible to get one reconnected by themselves? With help from a buddy?

You've probably heard it said that you have no friends below 2,000 feet. I'd be more conservative and say you have no friends once you exit the aircraft. Putting parachute rigs on (properly) in freefall is for the most part the stuff of Hollywood screenwriter fantasy and so, for the most part, are in-air saves of other people. They happen, but they're exceptional.

In my career I've only come across two gear issues that were spotted mid-dive.

One was mine - a riser that had escaped the cover, resulting in a fired brake, because I'd stupidly allowed the velcro closures to get too worn. In that case somebody pointed it out to me and I was able to get some separation, pull high and then deal with the (unpleasant) opening.

The other was someone else's floating reserve handle. In that case we were able to 'stop' the skydive and make sure nobody got above her, but we didn't succeed in communicating to her exactly what the problem was before pull time. It's not as easy as you might think.

It's so much nicer when you discover these issues in the plane or, better still, on the ground before you board ;).

I always gear up completely before getting someone else to check me out - and there's even a specific order in which I do it, from hoisting my rig onto my shoulders to tightening my leg straps to fastening my chest strap to putting on my altimeter to fitting my booties. If I do any of these steps out of sequence, or if I get interrupted partway through, then it feels 'wrong' and I have to double-check everything in the same sequence. It's a useful quirk of our brains (or at least of mine!) that we can feel uneasy when these routines are upset. Of course, that cuts both ways because if you don't concentrate then giving someone else a gear check can become a matter of routine rather than of actually looking for issues :)

If I do any of these steps out of sequence, or if I get interrupted partway through, then it feels 'wrong' and I have to double-check everything in the same sequence. It's a useful quirk of our brains (or at least of mine!) that we can feel uneasy when these routines are upset

Exactly! B|

I'm not an 'I' and haven't been for years...but isn't the taught these days?

Develop a routine, practice it, stick to it.

It works for packing too!

~ There was a study done some years back regarding flight crews and emergency situations on commercial airliners.

One of the more interesting things that was brought to light, was the fact that in an extraordinarily high percentage of the emergencies...one or more of the flight crew 'felt something was wrong' before it became an actual 'situation'.

Something in their subconscious alerted to a 'problem' well before it manifested into something serious...most times they dismissed the 'feeling' and went on with business as usual, then the shit hit the fan.

Flight crews these days are cautioned that if 'something doesn't feel right' stop what you're doing & start checking - you're probably right.

WE should listen to the 'little voice' too! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Zlew

stay away from the flames! My honest, flame free take on it-

1. B-12's still have friction adapters that have to be routed right. The idea is you don't have to fully route them every time...but they still have to be routed correctly or they will fail.

2. They are not fool proof either. The springs and gates can be damaged or broken. You can get fabric stuck in the gate (the gear checks we used to do included snapping the gates to make sure you can hear the metal on metal "click" to insure it wasn't jammed with material). So you still have to check it to make sure it is working/routed properly.

3. They look lame. Like it or not, several things (even if they are safer) in this sport are associated with "old school", dino, uncool types of things. B-12's are on that list.

So I guess it is better to be "cool" and dead - than uncool with B-12's and alive? Ahh, all the designer skydivers must shudder at the thought of something "old school". Let's compare how many jumpers have died from mis-routed or not routed at all chest straps to failed B-12's. Anyone?

ripcord4

***stay away from the flames! My honest, flame free take on it-

1. B-12's still have friction adapters that have to be routed right. The idea is you don't have to fully route them every time...but they still have to be routed correctly or they will fail.

2. They are not fool proof either. The springs and gates can be damaged or broken. You can get fabric stuck in the gate (the gear checks we used to do included snapping the gates to make sure you can hear the metal on metal "click" to insure it wasn't jammed with material). So you still have to check it to make sure it is working/routed properly.

3. They look lame. Like it or not, several things (even if they are safer) in this sport are associated with "old school", dino, uncool types of things. B-12's are on that list.

So I guess it is better to be "cool" and dead - than uncool with B-12's and alive? Ahh, all the designer skydivers must shudder at the thought of something "old school". Let's compare how many jumpers have died from mis-routed or not routed at all chest straps to failed B-12's. Anyone?

I usually don't get too many comments about my B12's...they're usually too puzzled about the D rings on my MLW! ;)

airtwardo

I usually don't get too many comments about my B12's...they're usually too puzzled about the D rings on my MLW! ;)

Love my B-12's on my legstraps! As a camera flyer, they are perfect for attaching the Camera Wing snap.

One thing that is part of my (multiple) gear checks is to ensure the B-12 snap covers are all the way closed. If they get bent, they can get stuck open.

Not sure how I feel about B-12's for the chest strap. To me it's kinda like tits on a bull? ;)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

ripcord4

***stay away from the flames! My honest, flame free take on it-

Nothing wrong with B-12s and if that's what you prefer, go for it.

At the same time, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the hardware in use on most rigs today and it is enormously simple to operate. The flaw is in the training of the individual or their approach to donning and inspecting their own gear.

Regardless of the hardware you choose, develop a system to preflight your gear. Do it the same way every time. Have someone else give you a gear check also if that is part of your process. All that has nothing to do with whether your hardware is "cool" or "lame"...

Red lights are outdated.

We need a cell phone application with the gear check status shown on screen... :S

normiss wrote:

Why can't the manufacturers make my chest strap with a click button and a red light I ask fellow jumpers to make sure is lit???

now there's right course of action!

jpforget

Red lights are outdated.

We need a cell phone application with the gear check status shown on screen... :S

Then we might as well tie it into the GoPro wifi since everyone is checking the red light on the GoPro. One vote for RFID chest and legstraps:D

I was thinking the same thing. He was turning at probably 300 feet and didn't even get a chance to fully flare. He is extremely lucky he didn't break his legs or get hurt from that.

He even continues to fiddle with the chest strap after landing. Wow... just wow.

jerolim

As a matter of fact, I have done my first jumps on rounds with B-12 on cheststrap. And if you leave them bit loose and open from stupid position (head low), you will get B-12 snap in your teath (like I did),..B|

I learned on these as well. But, we were taught to check the B-12s in case the cover got bent and they didn't snap shut. Just because we were taught this doesn't mean we always succeded to do so.

[:/]Kinda like being drilled to include chest straps in your gear checks???
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

daleskydive

I watched a vid of a BASE jumper go in with loose leg straps. Couldnt reach the pilot chute cos the rig was floating above her back.

Hook your left thumb under the MLW ~ push out & up...brings the rear of the container right back where it should be.

Anyone else notice the he mis-routed it again in freefall, pulled on it and it popped right back out?[:/]

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

The poor bastard, :)
He was so fixated on a problem that he continued to "solve" the problem...on the ground!

I can just imagine the look of frustration on his face in the last seconds of that vid?

Did you see the hands and feeling of exasperation as he tries to fasten the strap now that he is safely on the ground?

This in addition to being an ad for AAD use is a reminder of altitude awarness, as so many have pointed out.

But also of how as a community we focus upon the individual , when a sytematic system issue that could happen to any one of us is at the root cause of this!

Take the person out of this conversation and how would you resolve the lack of altitude awarness?

Yes of course this is an ad also for mandatory keepers on your chest strap, and a local rigger here in the northeast does this without charge and won't let you on the plane if he see's shitty keepers on your rig! (pm if you want the name, and this was well before this vid!!!)

But I think this is also an illustration and learning is too be had on a number of other concerns, seperate from this poor person! I wiill say with a certian certianty that they probably had some bad dreams that night, but also they may be in a better position if something like this happens to them in the future?

C

But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

unkulunkulu

If one was around back then, most of us will never forget the incident with Ivan in North Carolina who filmed a tandem without wearing his rig.

Cameras can be very distracting.

Can you please extend on this as my understanding of the language and what is written here makes me imagine things that I cannot even comprehend.

This is not the first time this has happened. I have a very reliable source regarding another vidographer that has also gotten on an aircraft with out their rig,...borrowed the pilots rig, that alone an act of stupid, and then jumping!

Word!

C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."