CC_Shenanigans

Stickers in the inside of airplanes?

:)

I would never THINK however, to apply one, without first running it past the "head Honcho" be that the owner or the DZo or the P.I.C. Some people can get Damn sensitive about "their million dollar machine "...

As long as the plane flies us safely. it can be decorated in any which way it wants... (That much more to keep all us ADHD types busy......while riding to altitude...
IF it does NOT fly us safely....:o then maybe the Jolly Rogewr Skull & CrossBones sticker... would be more appropriate...;)

Tacky is "in the eye of the beholder". You can consider offering a label or sticker or decal...i would think but ASK First...
BEFORE installing it...imo

normiss

Whatever happened to "it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission"???

That's the philosophy that's kept me sane through 17 years of marriage.:PB|

"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." - Michelangelo

normiss

Whatever happened to "it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission"???

depends on the situation.... depends on my level of assurance that "forgiveness" will be Granted....:o;)

when i already KNOW permission is Unlikely.. i hesitate...:o
My Level of "misbehavior" can Vary dramatically... depending on Who is invloved, WHAT is involved, and whether My silliness affects the property of Others.....

I SAVE UP the forgiveness.. for the really Important stuff.....sorta like "building Up credits"....

... Oh that Skyvan is Kool with a Capitol K...!!!

An issue that has been on my mind too.

Technically I can see the issue with having stickers, since aircraft interiors are supposed to use only fire resistant, approved materials, as approved for the particular plane.

So for example interior fibreglass panels on a Caravan might be properly taped together with a tape ('speed tape') that is approved to a certain FAR, rather than plain duct taped. Yet one also sees C-182's where all the sharp edges are just duct taped. I suppose one might argue that all that and stickers are 'temporary installations', not bolted to the plane, and thus exempt, in the same way that a GPS velcroed to the panel doesn't need approval while one screwed into the panel does.

I know in the last 10 years or so Transport Canada has become more picky about required labels for aircraft, even if "just for skydiving". They are still commercial aircraft so one needs safety labels for things like the Exit, and how to operate door latches. (Which can actually be a little tricky on 182's etc.)

So one wouldn't want to cover or make it hard to see the real safety stickers.

But beyond all that, I thought many but not necessarily all DZ's tolerate a lot of stickers in their airplanes.

I think it looks trashy. Others (including tandems, students) may also percieve that the plane and organization are poorly maintained.

The stickers themselves are usually stupid...appealing to maybe few of those who know the meaning of the stickers.

Considering that many DZs don't actually own their plane(s), I wonder how the owners feel about it.

Seen a pic of a western Canadian DZ's 182 lately that had stickers on the door window.... that seems wrong to me as I want all the view I can get when spotting.

Stickers in other locations don't bother me, however keeping them in "good taste" would be of benefit to the DZ for tandems etc...

This thread has me wondering if the heart has gone out of skydiving. If it hasn't gone, it certainly has changed. [:/]

The stickers on the plane are reminiscent of steamer trunks, and those stickers tell the history of where that object has been. B|

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

oldwomanc6

This thread has me wondering if the heart has gone out of skydiving. If it hasn't gone, it certainly has changed. [:/]

The stickers on the plane are reminiscent of steamer trunks, and those stickers tell the history of where that object has been. B|

I agree the times they are achanging
waving off is to tell people to get out of my landing area

Iago

This thread has me wondering if the heart has gone out of skydiving

The heart's been going out of skydiving for a long time. Now were talking about stickers on the plane looking trashy because we don't want the tandems to get the wrong idea.

Pretty soon the staff will all be wearing golf shirts, covering their tattoos, and taking out their earrings when the show up to the DZ.

At some DZ's the DZO's won't even hire people with tats, earring etc. They have a image that goes with their brand.;)

Same thing with stickers on the DZO's airplane. Some DZ's no problem. Wrong DZ could be a big problem.B|.

It's the DZO's playground their rules.:)
One Jump Wonder

Don't be the first.
Don't be an ass.

If the airplane looks pristine, obviously the DZO wants it to stay that way.
Even if the plane is covered with stickers, don't be an ass about which one you might add to the collection. Be observant. If all of the stickers are from visiting military, sky diving equipment manufactures and are generally "christian clean" in nature, don't put up one pro-terrorist or a silhouette of two people fucking.

In general, be cool.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I always loved seeing cool stickers on the aft bulkhead and ceiling. Gave the birds character.

Remember the FrankenOtter?

But, lately the Feds have been cracking down on "unauthorized placards" and ruining our bit of fun.

Keep in mind, the pilot gets the violation for an unauthorized sticker, part of the preflight is verifying placards are in place and legible. So don't go tearing that emergency exit sticker off because you are bored on the way to altitude. They have to be approved by part number and label and can ground the airplane until replacements can be installed.

Airliners I flew got grounded all the time for missing stickers that passengers ripped off.

Sucks...

I miss the stickers...
[:/]

Airline Transport Pilot, Multi-Engine Land, DHC-8
Commercial Multi-Engine Sea, Single Engine Land
Private Glider

In Reply to OW6 and a few others,
'Remember, I think it was Yohn Aarvick's '3 from Cal Shitty and Scare-us-Valley, back at the door it had a dozen or more "stickers!!" One I thought fit the spot just right said,"Lead, Follow or Get Out Of The WAY!!!!" I don't want to do the math and figure out how long ago this was, I'd get scared!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Used to be planes were cheap and almost disposable. Now they cost up to a million+. I can see someone not wanting stickers all over their expensive investment.

Our DZ has some stickers on their very nice turbine planes, all of them PG. I have a feeling any offensive or morbid ones get peeled off quickly. . .

And I'm fine with that. The sport has changed and so have I.

Most of it has been for the better. :)