Caipirinha

Found a new hobby?

Hi all

I'm 25 at the moment and never really thought about going skydiving or had any particular interest in it whatsoever.

But lately I started thinking about it because I want to experience something new. I started watching youtube videos and reading stuff about the sport and I became more and more interested and excited. So I decided to take an AFF 1 course to see if my expectations live up to what I'm imagining it would be.

I do believe this would be a great hobby for me, but I'm wondering, since I never had any particular interest in skydiving and it all came so suddenly, if anyone else has gotten into this sport this way too? And more importantly, is still in it?

Thanks!

That's likely to be different for everyone. I got into hang gliding in the 90's but didn't stick with it. I held off on skydiving for so long because I thought I wouldn't like it. Turned out I liked it. Go figure.

Even if you don't stick with it, so what? As long as you don't run out and buy $10000 worth of new gear before your AFF1, anyway. It's a new experience, which is what you were after. If you don't like it, go find some other new experience. No big deal.

I enjoy the vertical wind tunnel almost as much as I enjoy skydiving. Maybe you should try that, too.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Almost 9 years ago on a Sunday I was at the helm of a power boat in Vancouver, apparently going faster than my friends might have liked. One friend said "You're an adrenaline junkie. You should go skydiving or something."

Got home to Seattle (where I lived then) on Monday and scheduled myself for a FJC the following Saturday. 1000+ jumps since then, still at it.

All that said, you'll have no idea whether it's for you till you try it. Making one skydive or even 10 isn't committing yourself for life. All your gear will be provided for your student jumps, so there's no need to invest in anything at first - you can try it out and if you don't like it, you're just out the cost of the jumps themselves.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I did a static line jump because I always wondered if I could jump out of a plane or not. I didn't do a tandem because that wouldn't prove anything to myself. I had no intention of becoming a skydiver. When I landed and my instructor asked me if I was going to get my A license, I realized that I hadn't even considered it until right then.

Granted by most standards I am still in "tourist" territory but to be honest I can't imagine not having this sport as part of my life. It's more than a hobby to me, but it's not that way for everyone.

The only thing for you to do is try it for yourself and see what you think.

I always wanted to but never enough to actually do it. Until about 20 months ago. I decided that if I was going to do it that I needed to get on with the program before I was really too old to do well at it.

Many aspects of jumping are different than I expected. Some things were much harder for me than I expected. Some things are not all that enjoyable, part of the time. But recently I started reaching some of my primary goals. Things are a lot better now, but still some things are touch.

If you become a real student of the sport, be ready to study and to work. I read a story even before my first jump. The woman had received her A license and made a statement like, "I am not sure what to do next. You really can't be a casual skydiver".
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

My case was similar - sitting in my apartment one weekend I realized I should probably be doing something other than just sitting in my apartment.

"Wouldn't it be cool if I was a licensed skydiver? Not a lot of people can say that!"

So, I signed up for AFF and did it. My first several skydives didn't give me that life-changing feeling a lot of people have, that sense of calm or fulfillment other people experience, but it was fun and I enjoyed learning more and more about just how many things were involved. It was the people that really made me stick with it, the sense of community. Now it's really just trying to get better, trying new things, and goofing around in the sky :)

Not me, since I was a little boy, I looked at the sky.....I belong there.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

At 17 I came home for holidays (was studying away from home). Me and my mother watched a TV advert for skydiving o_O She asked "would you do this?" Without a doubt a said "Yes. Would YOU pay for it?". And it was done, a static line jump with a round. Ended up pretty interesting: there was a problem with old russian AAD, the reserve ended up over my head well before the main got a chance to catch some air. The main was flying around me hanging by the drogue. Surely I freaked out and pulled the reserve handle (we weren't taught what to do if you kind of have something above your head AND at the same time something flying around you), wasn't even asked about where the handle went :$

I loved the experience, even did one SL jump later at a different DZ uneventfully. Forgot about the thing for 8 years. But then at the end of last summer, it somehow dawned on me that I could become a licensed skydiver. I didn't know a thing about the sport: FS, freeflying, nothing. I didn't know what to expect on the AFF jumps, I just went for it and haven't regretted a bit so far.

one reason I started was to get over my irrational fear of heights - others were peer pressure and alcohol - imagine that

my skydiving friends have been there for me when everything else wasn't

3800 jumps later I still hate sitting by the door when it's open

go for it, you have everything to gain
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.