smith.da

New to this

So I made my first jump this weekend, and I absolutley want to keep doing this!! Im trying to plan a budget for all my gear and would like some advice on what i would need as a beginner. What should I buy, and manufacturer etc. I would love to say money is not an option, and I know you get what you pay for. But im not rich... any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

smith.da

So I made my first jump this weekend, and I absolutley want to keep doing this!! Im trying to plan a budget for all my gear and would like some advice on what i would need as a beginner. What should I buy, and manufacturer etc. I would love to say money is not an option, and I know you get what you pay for. But im not rich... any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

I'll say it first. You do not NEED to buy anything as a student. The DZ should be able to supply you with all essential equipment.
Please address this topic if you manage to become licensed. Then you can consider first purchases.

You mentioned you are not rich and any help would be greatly appreciated...however, for me, I will not donate ANY money to you. I myself need the money for skydiving.

And congrats.

smith.da

Go back to Skydive Spaceland. ask for the head of AFF. Repeat this story to him/her. They will take it from there.

Then just be awesome and have fun:)

As said, you don't need anything for AFF. Wait until you get in the game (post AFF) before you buy anything. It's not a bad idea to have a think about upcoming costs however, especially if you need to save/budget for them now. When i started I done a bit of research and came up with a figure of 10k. This included AFF, gear, coaching and tickets to get to a point where I'm not a complete rookie at the basics. In hindsight that number could be higher haha.

The only thing I would recommend you buy as a student is a logbook - and then only if you're not given one by the AFF school. If the one you're given is crappy and wont last, upgrade to one which will, if only because it'll be good to look back on in a few years time.

Goggles. I use motorcycle sun glasses with an elastic strap from e-bay for something like $7. Tinted lenses though are not good for any kind of training (be it within AFF or once licensed and getting coaching) as eye contact is very useful. Bear this in mind when selecting. There's a whole range of options out there starting with simple flexible plastic lenses and a bit of elastic for a few bucks. There's no reason to spend big money - buy something that's comfortable that will keep the wind out. If you do buy tinted lenses, have a clear set available as well for low light conditions or coaching jumps. You'll be given goggles for student jumps but it's not a big outlay and you may choose to buy your own so they're a known entity to you (and don't come with someone else's snot dried on the lenses – just your own).

Once you're licensed, a helmet. This can be anything from a pro-tec skater style helmet for $30 to something bling in carbon fibre from one of the skydiver specific companies. There's no need to buy anything specific to skydiving though but look out for anything that could catch a line and cause a problem (lots of ski/snowboard helmets have goggle clips = bad). If it can't be modified it's not a good buy. Helmets will be given to you during your training and you may even be required to use the dropzone's helmets during your training even if you have your own. They can usually be borrowed or hired, especially if jumping a rig belonging to the DZ.

Next up, an altimeter - maybe a little over $100. You'll be given one however for all your student jumps so no need to drop any cash on one yet. Once licensed they can usually be borrowed or hired, especially if jumping a rig belonging to the DZ. It's usually a jumpers first purchase costing any 'significant' money.

Beyond that there's a rig and jumpsuit – both provided throughout your training. A jumpsuit is not essential once licensed and rigs can be hired usually on a daily or per jump basis. Choosing a parachute to buy (which is at least 3 or 4 separate components) is a story for another day and can be far more complicated a choice even than selecting a new car and options packs. Worry about it later once you know what you're doing. There is also a range of optional electronic gizmos that are non-essential and can be learnt about as you progress.

Your best bet is to hold off on making any gear purchases for a bit. Make 10 or 15 jumps using the gear provided by the DZ, and then talk to your instructors about some of the 'basics' like a helmet, goggles, altimeter, etc. Think about it, as of now you have almost no experience with anything, but by then you'll have done 10 or 15 jumps with the DZ gear and will have some opinion as to what you like/dislike.

In terms of the 'big' purchase, that being a rig, you should really hold off until you have a license. The DZ will include gear rental in your pre-license jumps, so take advantage of that and jump everything they have to offer during that time, learning more about gear in the process.

As for the budget, figure at least $2500 to $3000 for a used rig to start off with. If you want an AAD (the computer that will fire the reserve if you fall below 750ft), you can add $1200-$1400 to the price.

Another tip in terms of the budget is to check in with the DZ if they offer any package deals on the training jumps. You can sometimes save a couple hundred dollars by paying in advance, and that money can then be put toward your gear purchases.

I have heard this and many variations thereof... you don't need to buy gear until you are licensed, etc. Which, for a number of reasons, is true! That said, gear is expensive, and even if you do not buy anything, if you are on a shoestring budget like myself and many others, it is a good idea to plan for the future. So even if you do not buy anything right away, and do gear rentals for a bit, you will want to get your own stuff eventually, and knowing how much it will all cost will help in planning down the road. And if you decide you don't want to continue with the sport, well, hey... now you can use that money towards a car, or vacation, or what have you.
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

milehigheric

As said, you don't need anything for AFF. Wait until you get in the game (post AFF) before you buy anything. It's not a bad idea to have a think about upcoming costs however, especially if you need to save/budget for them now. When i started I done a bit of research and came up with a figure of 10k. This included AFF, gear, coaching and tickets to get to a point where I'm not a complete rookie at the basics. In hindsight that number could be higher haha.

Exactly! :P
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?