papervaccine

Hello
Jumped again, but I am still spinning.
Here is the link to the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_QFbUYH0Lw

Grabbing tunnel time this weekend.
Will update accordingly.

Any suggestions/critics welcome.

I don't know if it's camera angle or what but for that entire jump you look lopsided for some reason I just can't put my finger on. Like you're bent to the right somehow. A good example is at the :39 second mark, it looks like your right leg is fully extended and off at an angle and your left leg is in the arch position I'd expect. Weird.

It might be how your rig is riding on you. I kinda wish they'd let you go around once so I could see from that angle. That probably wouldn't have been very safe, though.If you have the same problem in the tunnel, see if you can get the tunnel instructor to help you do some 360s so you can see your body position from all angles.

Is the rig comfortable and the leg straps tightened to the same length on both sides? Does it flop around on your back at all?

I'm guessing that if it's body position, your wind tunnel instructor will spot the problem and correct it quickly. I'm also curious if you'll have the same problem in there with so many landmarks you can stay relative to.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

FlyingRhenquest

***Hello

Will update accordingly.

I don't know if it's camera angle or what but for that entire jump you look lopsided for some reason I just can't put my finger on. Like you're bent to the right somehow. A good example is at the :39 second mark, it looks like your right leg is fully extended and off at an angle and your left leg is in the arch position I'd expect. Weird.

It might be how your rig is riding on you. I kinda wish they'd let you go around once so I could see from that angle. That probably wouldn't have been very safe, though.If you have the same problem in the tunnel, see if you can get the tunnel instructor to help you do some 360s so you can see your body position from all angles.

Is the rig comfortable and the leg straps tightened to the same length on both sides? Does it flop around on your back at all?

I'm guessing that if it's body position, your wind tunnel instructor will spot the problem and correct it quickly. I'm also curious if you'll have the same problem in there with so many landmarks you can stay relative to.

Agreed, you look twisted in the torso. Think long straight spine, that helped me when I started. I had the same issue, built in instability caused by poor body position.

You are torqued to the side with your spine, and it looks like TRYING to figure it out with the other parts of your body.

The only thing that helped me was (tunnel) and learning to relax and keep a square torso, fly your limbs, not your torso.

It looks like you even do some toe taps at one point (maybe the AFFi's suggested your legs could be uneven causing a spin?) and toe taps could help to stay aware of that....but it really looks more to me like your torso is the issue.....

Think long and straight!

Good luck!

(Disclaimer: A license....80 jumps and 6 hours in the tunnel since my start in January so take it for what its worth....im no oldschool 10k jumper)

hiya,

the video helps a lot and i will give you my opinion, on a couple points and if you where my student, here is what i would say to you to fix the issues.
to me you are not far off on whats required, just a couple minor adjustments. it looks like the rig and laterals are a tiny bit big on you, hence it is sliding slightly off onto you left side, which in turn is causing you to kink your body slightly to the right.remember it is important NOT to kink your spine or hips. you can see on the video that your left side and knee is lower than on the right.thus this will cause a turn in that direction. also have a look at your arms,they are not symetrical,meaning equal on both sides. ideally your bend at your elbows should be around 80-90 degrees, on your right arm it looks to be around 110-140 on occasions,so this will add to the turn.
your should have more positive pressure on your legs,point your toes and do not let the wind bend your knees.on a couple occasions you had your legs in a good position and then they creep back up towards your backside, try not to let that happen.
all of these are small and minor issues, but when all put together it will cause this turn.
however there was also lots of good points on the skydive, a nice exit and good alti awareness throughout.good communication with your instructor and good response to signals. you made a good effort at the toe taps and you had a nice pull.:)a small tip regarding the gear, before you jump the next time,put the rig on you and lie facedown on the ground and see if the rig falls of to one side,if it does,see if it can be adjusted or try to push it back into the centre of your back again.
do lots of practise on the ground with your legs. put 2 chairs(or a wide bench) beside each other and lie down in front of them so that you can get your toes on the edge of each chair, then push down with your toes,this should cause your knees to come of the ground slightly and hold that position for approx 50 sec.then relax for a min and repeat again.do this several times every day and this should build some muscle memory for your legs. you might also open you knees 1-2" further a part.
so that is 4 small adjustments done to gear,legs,arms and DO NOT kink your spine or hips.
if your still heading to the tunnel it be a great learning tool for you and where you can iron out those minor issues, a lot easier.

by the way i did not see you smile on that video:o:o:o

Rodger

PS please bear in mind that i am only giving you my opinion
and what i would say to my student, i am on the other side of the atlantic and only seen one video and none of your ground pratice. i am not trying to give you an instruction for your next jump,just a couple of pointers. listen what your instructor over there says to you.

i look forward to hearing how you get on in the tunnell and your next jump,so keep us up to dateB|

I was having the same problem and was getting extremely frustrated.

I then got someone to shoot video of me from about 50' away and slightly above. That distance/angle allowed me to see my entire body position without the distortion of a close-up camera lens, and it was clear that - in my case - my arms were causing my spin.

On my very next jump, problem was solved. Think about hiring a separate camera guy to shoot you from a distance where you can see your entire body position and identify what's going on.

Good luck - you will work it out!

I defiantly belive yo will work this out! :)
Relax, arch a little harder, and I agree something is a little off.

part of this may be, and this is just a guess is that your not being allowed to see the error in time for you to correct this? Your jumpmasters are doing there job in slowing down your turning tendency.

This appears to be be minor issue, cause there are so many other great things you are doing in this vid :)
Remember this isn't a race to finish your
AFF in record time, and yes we all know it's pricey, but great work so far!

C

But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

papervaccine

Hello

Will update accordingly.

I agree that you look a little "cocked" to one side, but I'm not sure if it's the wide angle lens or not. I think you need a little more "legs out" to correct your rocking and head high position. Just being out of trim makes it harder. Did they teach you how to turn on your level 2? Use that technique to actively hold a point on the horizon.

I'm sure a few minutes in the tunnel will help you sort it out. Most of the time the "crooked body position in freefall" can be cured by just relaxing a bit and breathing. Like others told you, think "straight spine, stay symmetrical." Try not to tense up, just control your way out of any unwanted turn.

BTW, you looked like you're really close to getting it. I know it's no fun repeating a level but I think you'll stick it next time. Good luck. :)

From the angle of the camera it almost looks like you are pointing both feet off to the right instead of straight back. It might just be the camera angle or lens.

I also had a minor spin during my release jumps but it was quickly solved in the tunnel. Be sure to tell the tunnel instructor that you're doing AFF and exactly what the problem is and they can watch for the cause.

Good luck

papervaccine

Hello

Will update accordingly.

Bro, seriously, you need to relax. At one point in the video the cameraman has a shot of your eyes...and it looks like a classic deer in the headlight look.

Judging from the video, it looks like you are stiff and your legs are not equally symmetrical...which can be inducing your spin.

Though you had 2 instructors there to help you stabilize, you made little to no effort in your part to stabilize yourself. In time making those conscious decisions to make small corrections will be 2nd nature. But you too have to do some input to stabilize. Don't let the instructors do all the work because at somepoint (very soon), you need to do the work.

Please take note that I am far from being an experienced jumper (only 7 jumps right now). I, although, have been teaching swimming lessons for a long time so I am kinda used to watching body movements. Experts make sure to correct me please :)

Look at your feet. Your right foot is pointing back while your right foot is pointing up (more air pressure on your right foot). Also, you can see your left leg is a little more bent than your right leg. (more air pressure on your right leg) Considering both of these points, the wind obviously hits your right leg "harder" which induces a turning movement towards your left.

Some tunnel will definitely help you.

Edit: Somebody beat me to it. I guess I hadn't gone all the way down before writing my reply. Glad to know I was pretty spot on!