l_ek0

Cutaway: thoughts on the movie

quade

***I'm new to the sport and just watched cutaway. This movie is so bad but I can't help not loving it. Would love to get the opinion of others about how accurately it reflects the sport and dropzone culture would be most appreciated.

While there are aspects of the movie worthy of derision, there is far more "truth" to the film than most skydivers realize. Some bits needed to be changed so the average viewer could even begin to understand what the movie was talking about. Some bits needed to be changed so it could simply be filmable as a movie.

However . . .

Drug runs via tandem - real
People giving up normal lives to be a part of the DZ circus - real
Dealing with the death of team mates by just turning around and getting back on the plane for the next competition - real
Drop zone love - real
The character Red Line - very, very real except for the specifics of his death.

Every single skydiver depicted in that film - real
You can look around any drop zone and see them.

you forgot to add...
Every prospect that skydives is hot...real!

MikeJD

Entertaining film, and always goes down well at the DZ on a bad weather day (of course you can't always hear the dialogue over the hoots of derision from the audience).

Naturally there's plenty of nonsense in there, but at the same time it gives a much more rounded picture of the sport than other movies featuring skydiving. We get different disciplines, wind tunnels, a national competition, a discussion of the term 'whuffo', closing pin necklaces, aircraft mockups, packing etc. etc - all through the distorting mirror of a Hollywod movie, obviously, but even so you can tell that actual skydivers are behind it.

About the closing pin.
It's been a while since I last saw the movie, but I remember him having the necklace on his neck while doing the tandem jump.
And a few minutes later in the movie, he gets the necklace as a gift because he is now a skydiver. :D

Not at all afraid to say that I find this movie super amusing.

I have a pretty healthy suspension of disbelief and that makes it pretty easy to get around the oddities. I almost never notice the little gaffs of continuity that people see.

Also yeah, quade's post was pretty spot on.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

scottd818

i love the seperation they get at break off. you know about 5 feet and just start dumping

I heard back in the day of rounds, they would just backslide a little, and open facing each other.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

Look up Roger Nelson. This was made using facts about him and a few other folks from back in the day (not that I was around back then). I read an interview with Manos that said as much.

I thought it was an awesome flick even before I started jumping. And I'll still watch it now along with Point Break and Drop Zone. Besides, Bill Booth is in it. It HAS to be awesome!
The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

Deisel

Besides, Bill Booth is in it. It HAS to be awesome!

He was also in "The Firm": http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106918/
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

***Besides, Bill Booth is in it. It HAS to be awesome!

Heheh. I see IMDB gives him the credit for The Firm ('Seaplane Pilot') but not for Cutaway. Mind you, it wouldn't be difficult for his part in The Firm to be the bigger one. :)

MikeJD

******Besides, Bill Booth is in it. It HAS to be awesome!

Heheh. I see IMDB gives him the credit for The Firm ('Seaplane Pilot') but not for Cutaway. Mind you, it wouldn't be difficult for his part in The Firm to be the bigger one. :)Mike, Bill IS on IMDB as Bearded man in Cutaway.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?