l_ek0

Cutaway: thoughts on the movie

I'm new to the sport and just watched cutaway. This movie is so bad but I can't help not loving it. Would love to get the opinion of others about how accurately it reflects the sport and dropzone culture would be most appreciated.

l_ek0

I'm new to the sport and just watched cutaway. This movie is so bad but I can't help not loving it. Would love to get the opinion of others about how accurately it reflects the sport and dropzone culture would be most appreciated.

Considering how old it is.... one thing was certainly prophetic...

We now have tunnel rats who are certainly rock stars in the sky... but cant fly a parachute worth shit. Back then with a big canopy.. you just looked like an idiot if you could not fly a canopy... nowadays... the canopies can be fatal if you try to jump the a small canopy that someone with the same ability in freefall who has thousands of jumps would fly.

oldwomanc6

***BETS FUCKING MOVIE EVER HANDS DOWN.B|B|B|B|

How much you want to bets? ;) Given that I am the judge of what I consider "The Best", any amount you'd care to wager.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

They put the fat ass in the (me) co-pilot seat of the king air, he revved the engine and the master fault light kept coming on, he shrugged his shoulders at me, winked and took off. After the crash of the otter this really freaked me out...

Entertaining film, and always goes down well at the DZ on a bad weather day (of course you can't always hear the dialogue over the hoots of derision from the audience).

Naturally there's plenty of nonsense in there, but at the same time it gives a much more rounded picture of the sport than other movies featuring skydiving. We get different disciplines, wind tunnels, a national competition, a discussion of the term 'whuffo', closing pin necklaces, aircraft mockups, packing etc. etc - all through the distorting mirror of a Hollywod movie, obviously, but even so you can tell that actual skydivers are behind it.

Amazon

Terminal PLUS...he was diving! :ph34r:

Terminal is terminal. Diving doesn't make it "terminal plus". :D

Most peoples terminal is not very impressive...

Ever tried speed skydiving???

Terminal for some is up over 500 KPH.

and yet its still just terminal. :)

l_ek0

While there are aspects of the movie worthy of derision, there is far more "truth" to the film than most skydivers realize. Some bits needed to be changed so the average viewer could even begin to understand what the movie was talking about. Some bits needed to be changed so it could simply be filmable as a movie.

However . . .

Drug runs via tandem - real
People giving up normal lives to be a part of the DZ circus - real
Dealing with the death of team mates by just turning around and getting back on the plane for the next competition - real
Drop zone love - real
The character Red Line - very, very real except for the specifics of his death.

Every single skydiver depicted in that film - real
You can look around any drop zone and see them.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

While there are aspects of the movie worthy of derision, there is far more "truth" to the film than most skydivers realize. Some bits needed to be changed so the average viewer could even begin to understand what the movie was talking about. Some bits needed to be changed so it could simply be filmable as a movie.

However . . .

Drug runs via tandem - real
People giving up normal lives to be a part of the DZ circus - real
Dealing with the death of team mates by just turning around and getting back on the plane for the next competition - real
Drop zone love - real
The character Red Line - very, very real except for the specifics of his death.

Every single skydiver depicted in that film - real
You can look around any drop zone and see them.

Something else I read somewhere was to compare it to "Dropzone", and then compare budgets:
- Dropzone: $45M
- Cutaway: $9M
(Budgets from IMDB estimations).

I'd say Manos did a pretty good job for 20% of the money six years later.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Yeah, even with the ridiculousness, I still think it's the best skydiving movie made so far. Manos did do an excellent job considering the lack of funds. He's also a skydiver which is what brought the "truth" I'm talking about to it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

MikeJD

Entertaining film, and always goes down well at the DZ on a bad weather day (of course you can't always hear the dialogue over the hoots of derision from the audience).

Naturally there's plenty of nonsense in there, but at the same time it gives a much more rounded picture of the sport than other movies featuring skydiving. We get different disciplines, wind tunnels, a national competition, a discussion of the term 'whuffo', closing pin necklaces, aircraft mockups, packing etc. etc - all through the distorting mirror of a Hollywod movie, obviously, but even so you can tell that actual skydivers are behind it.

A well thought, sensible statement about the movie Cutaway? I think you may have the wrong website. This is actually dropzone.com. You might have fat fingered the URL...:ph34r:

demoknite

***Entertaining film, and always goes down well at the DZ on a bad weather day (of course you can't always hear the dialogue over the hoots of derision from the audience).

A well thought, sensible statement about the movie Cutaway? I think you may have the wrong website. This is actually dropzone.com. You might have fat fingered the URL...:ph34r:

http://www.cutaway.us/ :|:P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~