Icyhills

Drinking while diving

I dunno about a crater but it will definately hurt and leave a dent in whatever it hits.

well then. If you don't know don't say it :S

Wow...i was trying to be polite and not bluntly call you out for making a very stupid mistake and flat out telling you that you were wrong and a water balloon at that velocity would most certainly put a crater in the earth.

But then I would have to not only be mean but it might bring up the discussion of what defines a creater and I didn't feel like doing it. Howoever since you are not satisfied with any answer then here you go:

At maximum velocity a water balloon of average or above average size could injure or kill someone and/or cause significant damage to property...as well as put a crater in the ground. Furthermore your statement about the penny was completely irrelevant since it does not have the same mass therefore does not have the same velocity of the water baloon.

Happy?:S
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

I know of a case where someone tossed a water balloon at the windshield on a moving school bus..... shattered the window:S:S

Water can do some damage

water can do a great deal of damage, it's mass for fresh water is 1kg (2.2lbs) per 1000ml (1litre)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

The point that the water will be over its potential terminal velocity is mute, as the water will never be in contact with the airflow as the cup will block it. TV is a function of weight versus drag (simplified) and there will be no drag from the wind (assuming that the cup will be held with the opening up). I'm not sure how low the pressure would be in the cup, but I could imagine it starting to boil (high altitude, additionally lower pressure and a warm day combined) or to just get "sucked" out.
Sounds like something that we definitely have to try, obviously just to solve the scientific controversy;)

I recently had a dissucsion with one of my friends about how one would go about drinking out of a cup while skydiving. As niether of us are skydivers (at least not yet...) and aren't too good at areo/fluid dynamics, we can't figure it out for ourselves. I've looked for ages but can't seem to find any reports, pics, or videos of someone giving it a try.

Has anyone here tried it or know where I can find a video or something?

Thanks

I always take cans, myself. Bottles are definately no-nos, but as long as the can's empty before you toss it, no worries.

Personally, I like Busch.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

>as the water will never be in contact with the airflow as the cup will block it.

>but I could imagine it starting to boil (high altitude, additionally lower
>pressure and a warm day combined) . . .

It's silly physics day here in General Skydiving!

Bottles are definately no-nos

Plastic bottles work fine under canopy.

Make a lanyard out of a pullup cord or two, put desired alchohol... err I mean liquid in the bottle, tie the bottle to the pullup cord(s), hang the whole thing around the neck, tuck the bottle inside the jumpsuit/sweatshirt, enter and then exit aircraft, open parachute, open and enjoy beverage. Oh, and don't forget to flare.

>as the water will never be in contact with the airflow as the cup will block it.

>but I could imagine it starting to boil (high altitude, additionally lower
>pressure and a warm day combined) . . .

It's silly physics day here in General Skydiving!

Well I might as well use all the useless crap I learned in school;)

Bottles are definately no-nos

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plastic bottles work fine under canopy.

ewww! Beer in a plastic bottle???!!!
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

To add some more physics into this:

Water falling at TV:
One water balloon will hold about 200mL of liquid (a bit smallish balloon but will do fine for this example). If that liquid is water it's mass would be 200g (grams) + some extra g for the balloon material which we won't use for calculations.
So we have 200g travelling at (at least) skydiving TV which is about 50m/s. Equation for energy would be E=0.5*m*v^2 and result would be 250J of energy.
You get the same energy by dropping 25kg weight from 1m (for all non-metric people that is 55lbs weight from hight of 3.28feet). It should break your foot if it landed on it.
Keep in mind I used small balloon (only 200g) and rounded down TV (to 50m/s).

P.S.: While the energy is linear in the mass, it is quadratic in the velocity.
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

To add some more physics into this:

Water falling at TV:
One water balloon will hold about 200mL of liquid (a bit smallish balloon but will do fine for this example). If that liquid is water it's mass would be 200g (grams) + some extra g for the balloon material which we won't use for calculations.
So we have 200g travelling at (at least) skydiving TV which is about 50m/s. Equation for energy would be E=0.5*m*v^2 and result would be 250J of energy.
You get the same energy by dropping 25kg weight from 1m (for all non-metric people that is 55lbs weight from hight of 3.28feet). It should break your foot if it landed on it.
Keep in mind I used small balloon (only 200g) and rounded down TV (to 50m/s).

P.S.: While the energy is linear in the mass, it is quadratic in the velocity.

The problem with that analogy is that the balloon on impact will disperse much of it energy, a 25kg mass from 1mtr does not.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

The problem with that analogy is that the balloon on impact will disperse much of it energy, a 25kg mass from 1mtr does not.

25kg of water will also disperse, probably even more than 200g at TV. Also when water balloon hits an object at 50m/s, the time of impact will extremely short (fraction of a second) and in that time the object will "absorb" most of the energy water balloon has.

Point here is that dropping anything while skydiving, even things with relatively low mass, can be deadly once it reaches the ground.

We could look at it from another angle: Falling water balloon (small one used in calculation) has about the same energy as .38 Short Colt bullet with a mass of 8.7g (muzzle velocity 237 m/s, muzzle energy 245J; wiki). It's true that bullet will penetrate soft tissue and stuff, but the hit from water balloon should be about the same as .38 hitting bullet proof jacket (and not penetrating it).
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

>The air resistance would be acting on the cup, not the liquid. So while the
>cup would be falling at the same speed as the diver (rate due to gravity
>minus air resistance) the drink would be "trying" to falling faster than the
>cup, effectivly staying inside.

Try this experiment.

Fill a cup with water, get a friend to drive you at say 85mph, and hold the cup out the window; see where the water goes. Now add about 40mph to that.

Goggles recommended.;)
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Blah, don't belive it will crater the earth for a second. Lets not forget the balloon will pop well before it does that kinda of damage, as for a person hurt hell yea, kill it would take a perfect shot and bad luck.

I've slammed a water balloon from point blank at full toss into my brothers head ton's of times, and I can chunk a baseball at 89mph. A balloon is not very aerodynamic i bet terminal velocity of your basic 1/4 to 1/2 pound water balloon is maybe 80 to 90, probably less, so I bet i'm tossing the balloon at 90% of that, and wow knocking my brother down and making him cuss no damage

Lets not forget spaceball's are way heavier say a few pounds and have to use lead to get the speed to skydiver terminal. Water balloon just isn't going that fast in a fragile shell

edited for spelling and spaceball reference

Well fortunately you don't have to take my word for it because it has been done before. Again, if you want a minidemonstration of what a water ballon can do get a launcher and start shooting shit. They will break windows, dent cars, hurt people, and yes put craters into the earth.
You are right about the balloon popping when it hits something....but when it hits something at 100 miles an hour it is going to do some damage as it pops.
It sounds like your brother has been a team player in helping you with this little experiment and thats great but there is no way you can throw a water balloon even close to the velocity it would reach at freefall. If you really want to get a better demonstation get two friends to hold a water balloon launcher and stand about 5 feet in front of it. Have your brother pull back as far as he can then let go.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

your right a water balloon launcher launches hard as hell, i'm willing to bet at close distance its way faster than terminal velocity. I guess the real question is how fast do you think terminal velocity of a water balloon is. I'm willing to bet tops is maybe 80-90. Look a spaceball (lead filled tennis ball) is way way heavier to reach 120. I bet good money i'm tossing at 70 which is as stated close to 90% of what i think terminal is. dent car's i can do it, break windows yep. dent the hard ass earth in texas hell no. give brain damage to my brother nah, of course we play rough and have done way worse to each other

Well fortunately you don't have to take my word for it because it has been done before. Again, if you want a minidemonstration of what a water ballon can do get a launcher and start shooting shit. They will break windows, dent cars, hurt people, and yes put craters into the earth.
You are right about the balloon popping when it hits something....but when it hits something at 100 miles an hour it is going to do some damage as it pops.

I'll bite. I have a water balloon launcher and have shot many a thing with it. Your right, it can do some damage, but your acting like it's some extreme force. I can dent a car door with my fist, and not using a lot of force. I can break a window with my fist, I can hurt someone with my fist. The difference is at some point the water balloon will break. That breaking point has to do with the amount of water in the balloon and the capacity the balloon is filled to. A balloon filled to the breaking point isn't going to exert much force before it breaks. And one that isn't filled very much should exert more force before it breaks.

I have shot a water balloon very high into the air and watched it hit the ground. No crater. Now if someone were to get hit directly with such object on the head it would probably hurt, but unless you have some super strong balloon that is filled with a good amount of water I'm doubting it will do any more damage to someone than if you smacked them upside the head. It's gonna sting, and you are gonna get wet.
Skymama's #2 stalker -