Icyhills

Drinking while diving

I recently had a dissucsion with one of my friends about how one would go about drinking out of a cup while skydiving. As niether of us are skydivers (at least not yet...) and aren't too good at areo/fluid dynamics, we can't figure it out for ourselves. I've looked for ages but can't seem to find any reports, pics, or videos of someone giving it a try.

Has anyone here tried it or know where I can find a video or something?

Thanks

If the rules state the container cannot be sealed then your best bet would be to pull the trick the guy did in the movie "Out Cold."

Just take a big swig before you jump and spit it back in the cup once you hit the ground.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

Do you mean because its too difficult to not dump the liquid out while jumping out? I guess thats understandable.

Otherwise, I don't see why not: The air resistance would be acting on the cup, not the liquid. So while the cup would be falling at the same speed as the diver (rate due to gravity minus air resistance) the drink would be "trying" to falling faster than the cup, effectivly staying inside.

Things get interesting when you start tipping the cup to drink. Then the difference in pressure above and below the cup could cause wake regions or a vortex in the cup (like drag on an aircraft wing) and throw the drink out in a spray or randomly...I think...
Maybe it would be possible to block the rushing air from below while by drinking while laying backwards? Or if you tried to pour the drink out below you, maybe it could it fly up (fall more slowly than you) into your mouth?

It gets too complicated with so many possibilities...I just want to see someone give it a go ;)

Just apply the liquid to your skin; it will be absorbed through the dermal layers. It's how we breathe in freefall.

No no no, you're telling them all wrong. We absorb oxygen from the air through our skin. Thats why we have to flap our cheeks in freefall because it creates more surface area. If you apply liquid to your skin (or go through a cloud) you can suffocate. Thats why we arent allowed to fall through clouds ;)

I read that somewhere a while ago but can't remember where, maybe it was on here.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

Otherwise, I don't see why not: The air resistance would be acting on the cup, not the liquid. So while the cup would be falling at the same speed as the diver (rate due to gravity minus air resistance) the drink would be "trying" to falling faster than the cup, effectivly staying inside.

Good line of thought but it doesnt take a few more factors into account. Staying flat for one. When you exit the plane there are a few seconds where you are not flat because you still have a lot of forward speed from the aircraft. We call this riding the hill. The other issue would be air pressure. Anytime you have air moving at a fast rate past an area that is enclosed on all sides except the one side that's open it's going to cause a change in pressure depending on the airspeed. This is pretty much suck the liquid up and out.

>The air resistance would be acting on the cup, not the liquid. So while the
>cup would be falling at the same speed as the diver (rate due to gravity
>minus air resistance) the drink would be "trying" to falling faster than the
>cup, effectivly staying inside.

Try this experiment.

Fill a cup with water, get a friend to drive you at say 85mph, and hold the cup out the window; see where the water goes. Now add about 40mph to that.

The air resistance would be acting on the cup, not the liquid. So while the cup would be falling at the same speed as the diver (rate due to gravity minus air resistance) the drink would be "trying" to falling faster than the cup, effectivly staying inside.

Negative. It's not just air resistance, but also gravity at play.

The terminal velocity of that glob of water is less than that of the skydiver, so it's going to float up out of the cup.

And then when it hits the high-speed air stream it will be torn apart into a cloud of tiny little droplets and disappear.

I participated in a water balloon fight in freefall once. In order to hit someone, you had to get underneath them and release it, to allow the balloon to float upwards to hit the skydiver.

Just apply the liquid to your skin; it will be absorbed through the dermal layers. It's how we breathe in freefall.

But if we did that we'd DROWN in Freefall:o:o
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

The air resistance would be acting on the cup, not the liquid. So while the cup would be falling at the same speed as the diver (rate due to gravity minus air resistance) the drink would be "trying" to falling faster than the cup, effectivly staying inside.

Negative. It's not just air resistance, but also gravity at play.

The terminal velocity of that glob of water is less than that of the skydiver, so it's going to float up out of the cup.

I don't see why, John. The cup is attached to the skydiver, so its terminal velocity is irrelevant. The water will still want to accelerate downward when the diver is at stable freefall speeds, but the cup will stop it.

Air flow passing the cup may still mess with the water.

Best way to win the contest would seem to be to press the open cup against your body with the left hand.

What's this "water" you speak of? it's the stuff they pour into the mash when they make BEER! after the brewmeister has worked his magic on it. it becomes drinkable
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

I participated in a water balloon fight in freefall once.

Oh boy..... what fun :D

Thanks! Got to try that next summer.

Just remember that water is quite heavy and unbroken water balloons will leave a nice little crater on earth....I wouldn't want to be hit with one B|

I have a few of them, they work pretty well for drinking out of while on the sled. Water - of course.

What's this "water" you speak of? :)

W.C. Fields said it best - "I don't drink water because fish fuck in it"
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

> It's not just air resistance, but also gravity at play.

It's actually just air resistance.

If you were to sit in a car that drove out the back of an airplane, and the car was falling belly-down at 120mph (or any steady speed) you would not float off the seat because you are at "terminal." (Provided the windows and doors were closed, of course.) To you it would feel like one gravity holding you in the seat.

Just remember that water is quite heavy and unbroken water balloons will leave a nice little crater on earth....I wouldn't want to be hit with one

Do you also think that a penny dropped from the Empire State Building will kill someone?

Seriously?
Owned by Remi #?

Just remember that water is quite heavy and unbroken water balloons will leave a nice little crater on earth....I wouldn't want to be hit with one

Do you also think that a penny dropped from the Empire State Building will kill someone?

Seriously?

A filled water balloon has a lot more mass than a penny. People seem to always forget just how heavy water is. You should try getting one of those water balloon launchers and fire one straight up in the air and see what happens when it comes back down :P

I dunno about a crater but it will definately hurt and leave a dent in whatever it hits.

Seriously?

A filled water balloon has a lot more mass than a penny. People seem to always forget just how heavy water is. You should try getting one of those water balloon launchers and fire one straight up in the air and see what happens when it comes back down :P

I dunno about a crater but it will definately hurt and leave a dent in whatever it hits.

I know of a case where someone tossed a water balloon at the windshield on a moving school bus..... shattered the window:S:S

Water can do some damage