clintonradloff

Military skydivers

A couple of years ago, Parachutist did a poll of job occupations of skydiviers. At that time 12% were military, the highest catagory. I imagine the numbers are not far off.

I'm sure that statistic mirrors this venue, but not as many post being unable to access computers in current locations.

J.Neas
(ex USAF)

Are you asking for people that skydive and work in the military or for people the skydive as a military job? I have met many skydivers that are/were military. I have even met quite a few (I think they all jump at Raeford) that get to skydive as their job in the military. Wouldn't that be a nice duty?!
...FUN FOR ALL!

I jumped (static line) as part of my job while in the military. I was in the US Army Infantry. I did most of my jumping as an observer/controller at the Joint Readiness Training Center (JRTC) in Fort Polk, LA. I also did a few jumps in Ranger School. I was able to jump with the 82nd Airborne, 2nd Ranger Battalion, and German Paratroopers while at JRTC. It wasn't necessarily a load of fun most of the time. I'm no longer in the military now. I didn't do any freefall until I got out of the military. There were a lot of really good clubs available at most of the Army posts I was stationed at. It was farily cheap to get your sport jumping license. HALO for an officer was extremely hard to get though.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

I was in the military from 90-96, stationed at Ft. Bragg for most of that time when I wasn't deployed to some god forsaken place.

For the most part if you end up in an airborne unit you will be stuck in static line jumps. Which are far from anything exciting as sport parachuting. Usually long drawn out manifest with this formality we called "prejump" and long waiting times during rigging.

The jumping would be interesting enough if you're lucky enough to jump out of different aircraft besides the standard C-130 and C-141. As for sport parachuting you might get lucky and get sent on detail or detach from your MOS to work in one of the sport clubs for the base. Such as 82nds and the 101st sport clubs. But as for the golden nuggets, there is a tryout and a requirement.

When I was there usually there were SF (special forces) guys who were detached and on a nice break from the teams. Now that has changed and it seems there are all sorts of new faces there.

If there is a possibility you should see what the Navy has. I have met most of the Leap Frogs (Navy Skydiving team) and they seem to enjoy their job very much. But I think they are only accepting Seals.

Good luck with your seach...

"The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over"

82nd and 101st clubs on Fort Bragg? SF guys on a break from the teams on the GK's? For the record: there are VERY few SF guys on the GK's nowadays and since before 1990 for that matter. Unbelievably, Fort Bragg is about to be down to one consolidated parachute club, blending the best assets of the 82nd and Green Beret Parachute Activities. I remember back in the early eighties when we actually had three separate clubs on Bragg.

Chuck

I am a US Army Rigger, and I'm Military Free Fall (HALO) qualified, so I guess I may be one of the dotcommers you seek.

I have been at Ft. Bragg since 1984 and I too remember three clubs here. At one time I was a member of two of them simultaneously. I spent three years as a demonstrator on the Golden Knights and can also attest to the fact that the SF guys on the Team are few and far between.

Jumping is a huge part of my military life, and if I didn't get paid for it I'd do it for free. I love it that much.

As far as the Army goes, there are a few prime assignments that yield a lot of free fall jumping. They are worth seeking, but will require dedication and patience on your part. You may spend several years in regular units waiting for the opportunity to serve in those units.

Hope this helps.
Arrive Safely

John

In General, jumping military is like jumping cargo. Not at all like sport jumping....hours of waiting on the ramp, and it's not something you get to do everyday. If that's the purpose of going into the military, you might be dissappointed.

Skydiving isn't scary;...but clowns...CLOWNS are scary!

i think would be better jumping off the ramp rather then from a side door because you might get sucked into the engines.

Not possible on most military aircraft I jumped out of. The jump doors were always behind and below the engines.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

There are quite a few of us who wear jumpsuits when we aren't wearing our tree suits. I'm USMC and I skydive as well as being a HALO Jumpmaster. Military and civilian jumping is entirely different. Jumping HALO is simply a way of getting to work, skydiving is a way to relax after leaving work. Hahaha. Good luck with your research.
***"A smart person can act dumb, but a dumb person can't act smart"***

Hello all.
I thought that I reply here.
I was a Army Parachute Rigger stationed at Fort Bragg from 88 to 94.. I loved it.. started skydiving at the GB club in 1990.. and had not looked back... I was always ready to jump.... Static line, or from what ever A/c.... John, you might not remember me from 612 Qm.. but i remember you well.... as it was a great time...

then I moved to the big sand box for seven years (Saudi Arabia) and now Im back in the US I cant stop jumping./...

ken,,,
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith