Falcon7Zero

WTF Side slide/orbit

I searched and can't find an answer...

I have developed the oddest problem... Random side sliding/orbit to the left. It isn't present on all jumps but every 3rd or 4th I will be sliding left and have to use input to correct. Which is awkward....

The only thing that has changed as I was a BGT in Elsinore and shown to put my rig on hike it up on my back. Then tighten down the chest strap so my rig sits higher. After that tighten my leg straps. I was also told I wasn't tightening the leg straps enough. So now I crank them down pretty good.

Can one strap tighter than the other cause a side slide? WTF is going on? What other things should I be looking at? I know how to set a neutral position... Tried toe taps, squaring shoulders, flips to resettle neutral, all kinds of stuff but since it is "random" I am having a tough time figuring it out.

HELP!!!
"I once met three guys named pain, suffering and sacrafice. Now were inseperable, were best friends."

-Lance Armstrong

Falcon7Zero

No video of the issue... Went up with a coach TWICE and it didn't manifest itself.

It is truly totally random..

I use to have a similar issue years ago and it was not having my jumpsuit right. One side would be held in by the harness a bit...

Just sayin. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Thinking about it it has happened in my baggy/slow suit and my RW suit...

Not ruling out a suit issue and I know its a bitch to diagnose without seeing it.

I can't catch it on video... Its like taking your car to a mechanic and the noise you hear isn't there for them to hear [:/]

Rig sitting off center a possible cause?

Pissing me off I can't figure it out!!!

"I once met three guys named pain, suffering and sacrafice. Now were inseperable, were best friends."

-Lance Armstrong

Falcon7Zero

No video of the issue... Went up with a coach TWICE and it didn't manifest itself.

It is truly totally random..

So, when you go out with a coach (who we will presume was falling down the tube, giving you a proper reference), it doesn't happen.... Interesting... ;)
Remster

Then the very next jump go out on a 15 way where dive to the base fine just fine... Flare and start to orbit [:/]

Plenty of reference there...

Baffled... Frustrated...

-Lance Armstrong

Falcon7Zero

Thinking about it it has happened in my baggy/slow suit and my RW suit...

Not ruling out a suit issue and I know its a bitch to diagnose without seeing it.

I can't catch it on video... Its like taking your car to a mechanic and the noise you hear isn't there for them to hear [:/]

Rig sitting off center a possible cause?

Pissing me off I can't figure it out!!!

That would be my 1st guess...

Make sure you pull the suit out equally on both side of the MLW and do the same at the leg straps, bunched up on one side and there is less drag on that side...might be a cause.

And yes...make sure the rig is on square with the world, same way every time.

If nothing else, eliminating the question on those issues will point you in another and probably right direction if it's still happening.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Falcon7Zero

Baffled... Frustrated...

If you know how to side slide and orbit on purpose, then you know how to stop a side sliding orbit that you don't want to happen.

Got a tunnel nearby? That will be the quickest fix.

It may be a jumpsuit or a rig issue, but honestly unless half your jumpsuit blew open you should be correcting those sort of things almost subconsciously, but that comes with more flying time. Perfect example is an experienced tandem master that can keep nice and smooth and on heading despite having a bucking bad body position student on the front!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P