PPL

Who's familiar with Skydive Spaceland?

I started working on my A last year. Got 4 jumps in. Due to a multitude of factors, I ran out of time and money. I had some unexpected issues crop up in my personal life, my local DZ is small, at the time they were running one 182 and doing a lot of tandems, and the weather is pretty volatile where I am. I love my local DZ, but I think I'd be better off getting my license elsewhere and then coming home. So, I've saved up a big chunk of cash, and I'm going to take a week off work, probably in the first half of September, and drive down to Skydive Spaceland and do the A license in a week program. I'd still like to save as much cash as possible, though, so I'll definitely be living on the DZ, and I'm going to be taking an ice chest and plan on doing most of my eating and drinking out of it. Are there places right there close, grocery stores etc, where I can replenish my supplies? Also, I expect I'll spend most of my time while I'm there reading the SIM or the copy of "The Parachute and it's Pilot" that I just ordered, but is there some sort of entertainment close if I need a temporary distraction? Anything in Houston I just have to see while I'm there, time permitting? Thanks for your help!

Even though I haven't been able to jump in a year, I remain obsessed with this sport. I read everything I can get my hands on and lurk here every day. Feels so damn good to finally have something to say. I cannot wait to get down there.

Perhaps this should have been in "places to jump." And I could probably figure all of this out on my own, but damn, I'm excited and just wanted to post, really.

Skydive Spaceland is a great choice.
Good planning.
But, instead of heading north to Houston for sight-seeing; consider going south to the gulf.
Couple of wildlife preserves, free beaches, lotsa food, etc.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

Skydive Spaceland is a great choice.
Good planning.
But, instead of heading north to Houston for sight-seeing; consider going south to the gulf.

Isn't there some kind of 'Space' stuff somewhere around there too? ;):ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Try to get Eva as your instructor. She's freakin' awesome...
“Work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do.” -Steve Jobs

airtwardo

***Skydive Spaceland is a great choice.
Good planning.

Ya know.. I should've included that, but my experience with the tour was that it was more for kids these days. And, the Apollo operations room wasn't THE operations room; it was one like it; one floor below. So, I guess it depends on one's flavor.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

******Skydive Spaceland is a great choice.
Good planning.

Ya know.. I should've included that, but my experience with the tour was that it was more for kids these days. And, the Apollo operations room wasn't THE operations room; it was one like it; one floor below. So, I guess it depends on one's flavor.

Other than THAT, Mrs. Lincoln---how was the play?! :P

Speakin' of flavor...the space ice cream is worth the cost of admission alone! B|

airtwardo

*********Skydive Spaceland is a great choice.
Good planning.

Speakin' of flavor...the space ice cream is worth the cost of admission alone! B|

Sorry, Bro... very disappointing.
There is an admissions fee... then,
$89.95 for tickets to http://spacecenter.org/attractions/level-9-tour/
Then we get on the tram.
Then, we get taken to see the "LIKE" Mission control and the other areas were off limits for the day.
*Building availability subject to change based on safety regulation and astronaut training schedules.
For $90.00 bucks, we saw a room and were given an apology.
No pro-ration.

Flounder

Try to get Eva as your instructor. She's freakin' awesome...

Will do.

I thought about seeing the Space Center, but I'm saving all my pennies for jumps right now. If I spend any on entertainment while I'm there, it'll likely be bowling or a movie. Maybe checking out some guitar stores. I could drive to the coast, how far is it from Spaceland?

BIGUN

************Skydive Spaceland is a great choice.
Good planning.

Sorry, Bro... very disappointing.
There is an admissions fee... then,
$89.95 for tickets to http://spacecenter.org/attractions/level-9-tour/
Then we get on the tram.
Then, we get taken to see the "LIKE" Mission control and the other areas were off limits for the day.
*Building availability subject to change based on safety regulation and astronaut training schedules.
For $90.00 bucks, we saw a room and were given an apology.
No pro-ration.

No ICE CREAM! :o

Well no WONDER you were disappointed! ;)

...but yeah I can see your point, I had NO IDEA it was that expensive to get in there, we've been through it several times but the tickies were comped.

Enjoyed the training rooms etc., sorry you didn't get there.

90 bones IS a lot...that's Disneyland $ - - and it's definitely NOT Disneyland! :S

PPL

Will do.

I thought about seeing the Space Center, but I'm saving all my pennies for jumps right now. If I spend any on entertainment while I'm there, it'll likely be bowling or a movie. Maybe checking out some guitar stores. I could drive to the coast, how far is it from Spaceland?

I realise you are new to the sport and probably missed this in your FJC, but do not go bowling unless you are told take up bowling by your instructor.
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

buff

Will do.

I realise you are new to the sport and probably missed this in your FJC, but do not go bowling unless you are told take up bowling by your instructor.

Ha ha, yea. Apparently I missed something somewhere. Rationale?

There is a little stop-and-shop gas station store very close to the DZ; it's probably 10 miles to the closest real grocery store, with things like fruit and vegetables. There's a deli on the DZ, and a restaurant at the end of the runway, and a BBQ joint by the swoop pond, I believe. No cooking facilities that I know of, but there is a refrigerator in the packing room.

Entertainment very close can be accomplished with a large bungee, a creeper, and a video camera :P, but be prepared for pain as well. Brazos Bend State Park (with hiking, nature and alligator-viewing, and an observatory) is very close (maybe 5 miles) west of the DZ. Closest town to the south is Angleton, followed by Lake Jackson. Neither is particularly large or entertaining. Houston is straight north; entertainment there is obviously legion. Cheap entertainment includes various museums (you can check on whether there are free days), movies, lots of clubs where you can go and listen to music while drinking a minimum.

To the southwest of Houston is Sugarland, which has a minor league baseball team that's supposed to be pretty entertaining.

Enjoy.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

a BBQ joint by the swoop pond

The BBQ joint is no longer there. Other than that Wendy hit on most everything. Any grocery store is about 15 minutes away (N, NW, E, or S) North of the DZ is Pearland. about a 15 minute drive. They have most anything just off the freeway there. Mall, multiple shopping centers with most any type of store or restaurant, and movie theater.

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com