Zeppo

Canopy Advice Sought

Hey all, I was seeking some advise.

I think that it's time for me to upsize. I'm currently jumping a crossfire 2-109. I at about a 2.1 wing loading with roughly 1,100 skydives.

i'm realizing that this canopy just isn't suitable for demos (unless it's a very large field) wingsuiting, big ways (landing off with it isn't really that fun). I find it's great for AFF, coaching, or simple day to day jumps, but I'm looking to be able to explore other avenues.

I don't really want to have two completely different rigs, as for demo's I want to make sure that I can always land dead centre, and I think that can only happen with currency, and familiarity with a canopy.

What I'm asking is this. What canopy do you think would be best for all of the following.

Fun jumps
coaching
AFF
hop & pops (some swooping potential, so still some fun to fly)
demos
CRW (without being a full on CRW canopy)
glide to get back from long spots.
Good openings (for those times that I chase students down to 2k.)

I've seen too many of my friends get hurt flying small canopies, despite their currency and experience, so I think I'm just looking to take a step towards satefy.

I've considered a Pilot as I've heard good things about it. I've also considered a Lotus, as the air locks would be good on those windy and turbulent days.

What do you think would be the best overall canopy that would give me the best flexibility to handle everything that I could get into, while still being fun to fly.

I would appreciate any advice you can provide.

Thanks.
What goes up, must come DOWN!!!

LOVE my Spectres for many of the reasons you just named. I keep two rigs and one is a spectre (other a velocity). Smooth on heading openings, great for wingsuit jumps, great for accuracy, trimmed flat so working back from long spots is solid, got a nice handful of low level crew on Spectres, on top of all this I love turning my Spectre and getting some nice swoops out of it. About 1200 total jumps on spectres and I will keep coming back (just got a new one recently)

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com

Zeppo

Hey all, I was seeking some advise.

Don't opt for a single setup that's usually acceptable for a lot of situations but ideal for none. You want 2-3 rigs and 3 canopies (one big rig with a classic accuracy or BASE canopy; one regular sized rig with a semi-elliptical for general purpose use where your tastes will tend more towards one than others, and some other smaller canopy for CRW).

Not caring about the equipment being in your colors and some patience shopping on the used market can keep that affordable.

I don't really want to have two completely different rigs, as for demo's I want to make sure that I can always land dead centre, and I think that can only happen with currency, and familiarity with a canopy.

A big F111 seven cell loaded around .7 pounds per square foot is usually the right tool for that.

While consistently hitting a 2cm dead center may take a lot of currency, getting within within a foot or two of where you want does not.

You setup for final approach with a glide ratio around 1:1 in 2/3 brakes and make adjustments (full flight is about 2:1, and full sink is straight down) to end where you want (enough flare is left at around 3/4 brakes for a pleasant stand-up landing on hard ground).

That is rather different from modern sport canopies that flatten out with a little brakes and maintain a similar glide until just short of their stall point.

Bite the bullet and buy a big used rig to hold such a canopy - I spent about $800 for my Javelin J7 with a Raven III reserve around 2005.

While I wouldn't want to freefly with a reserve lacking span-wise reinforcement tapes where a premature deployment or AAD fire could break the parachute (I saw one reserve "landing" after it separated into 2 and 5 cell chunks held together by the single reinforcing tape across the tail following an over-speed deployment) the Raven III will be fine when used within its design envelope.

CRW (without being a full on CRW canopy)

That's another special case. You want something with wing loading and glide that match local CRW jumpers canopies along with dacron lines that won't slice people up.

That might share a rig with your fun canopy. I have a couple Reflex R335 rigs built for 135 mains. My 105 Samurai still packs up firm enough to work well, I use a Monarch 135 for wingsuit jumps (and a little skysurfing back when that was fashionable), and I've fit a 143 Lightning in there apart from the CRW riser parts which usually hang out.

What do you think would be the best overall canopy that would give me the best flexibility to handle everything that I could get into, while still being fun to fly.

There isn't one.

As far as casual CRW with just two people, almost any canopy will do. Dock nice, and you don't have to worry about dacron. Stay away from planes, and you don't have to worry about retractable pilot chutes. I've flown Lightnings, Spectres, Storms, Triathalons, and Pilots and docked on Mantas, Lightnings, Velos, Tri's, Spectres, Silhouettes, and a bunch of others I can't remember. More than two people, or doing planes, you'll need a CRW rig. I have discovered that trim is much more important than WL for CRW, BTW.

Currently flying a Pilot. My fav canopy so far.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy