jzzsxm

Balloon exits?

I have my very first balloon jump coming up and I can't help but think about how I'm going to exit. Sure, I could just jump off, but I'm sure there's a better option.

Right now I'm leaning towards standing on the edge, sticking my arms out (I caught a fish that was this big) and just falling over backwards.

Anybody have any awesome exit ideas? I don't know when I'm going to get to do another one of these so I want this one to be muy excelente :)

Your plan is sound. Think back dive rather than back flip. It is much easier to increase your rate of rotation if it is too slow than decrease it if it is too fast. Continuing to watch the balloon after you exit will help slow down the rotation. If you totally mess up and barely rotate, you can do half a barrel roll to get to your belly.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

jzzsxm

I have my very first balloon jump coming up and I can't help but think about how I'm going to exit. Sure, I could just jump off, but I'm sure there's a better option.

Right now I'm leaning towards standing on the edge, sticking my arms out (I caught a fish that was this big) and just falling over backwards.

Anybody have any awesome exit ideas? I don't know when I'm going to get to do another one of these so I want this one to be muy excelente :)

That's a very fun exit; just be aware you'll likely be unstable straight off (remember, it's a zero wind exit) so be sure you feel comfortable with getting stable. Hopefully you'll have someone with you experienced in back exits, that can shoot your beer balloon jump.
:)

Carefull of over rotation, no wind means you will keep on rotating. Great to do the arms wide, when you tilt a little bit, kick yourself away from the basket, and try and keep that way.

You should actually try and avoid rotation......
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

After several unsatisfactory exits trying to film others exiting a split second after me, *and* keeping the balloon in frame, I found that doing a little hop backward and going directly into a sit fly worked best.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

After several unsatisfactory exits trying to film others exiting a split second after me, *and* keeping the balloon in frame, I found that doing a little hop backward and going directly into a sit fly worked best.

No lawnchair? :o

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I love balloon jumps. Another benefit is that you can take up non-jumping spouses/friends/small children to see and share in the jump. If you’re the only jumper on the load and/or solo exit, falling back and watching the balloon fall away is cool.

Here’s a video where I had my wife and son in the basket and had my 5yr old count me down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vivYgZMaFPI
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

I don't believe that night balloon flights are legal. No lights and all that. There is probably some way you could get a waiver from the FAA for it though. Mojave Desert would be a great place to do it. Not much out here.
If you know how many guns you have - you don't have enough!

scottd818

***It would be awesome to do a night balloon jump, is this possible, or anyone ever done it?

sign me up!! that sounds epic!

I mean, what could possibly go wrong with landing in an unknown area, with no lights, with no one there to help?
Remster

Just looking around on the web, there are several balloon companies that offer night flights. Hot air balloons fly by visual flight rules, so with proper lights, night flight is legal.
Most of these guys seem to use a pre-dawn take-off so they can land after the sun comes up.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

Remster

******It would be awesome to do a night balloon jump, is this possible, or anyone ever done it?

I mean, what could possibly go wrong with landing in an unknown area, with no lights, with no one there to help?
Just do it on a full moon and ur good!

scottd818

*********It would be awesome to do a night balloon jump, is this possible, or anyone ever done it?

Just do it on a full moon and ur good!

Awesome!
Remster

Did my jump!!!

It was awesome! The ride up was terrifying. Seriously. I was shaking and had TONS of adrenaline, I had no idea it'd be that scary. Once I climbed on to the edge, however, it became "skydive time" and I instantly calmed. Perfect backwards swan dive gainer :)

Thanks for the advice, guys, it was a wonderful day.