FlyingRhenquest

First Jump on Ninja Shoes

I usually wear ninja shoes everywhere. I don't do martial arts or anything, I just find them to be comfortable. The ones I have hook up the side with metal hooks. I've been curious to jump on them for a while, but wanted to be reasonably reliable with my landings before that. So I gave it a shot today and it was pretty awesome! I wore them under my jumpsuit so the velcro would keep the hooks in place -- no worries about them blowing open with the velcro there. They breathe better than sneakers, are stickier on dry surfaces, and you can move much more quietly in them (I always feel like a herd of buffalo when I'm wearing sneakers.) I can also feel surfaces better with them on.

So yeah, ninja shoes, thumbs up! I'll stick with the sneakers in the winter though, because my ninja shoes are mostly not water resistant and let the cold in better.

I wonder if I could get away with them in the tunnel. I think they'd typically be more secure than sneakers...
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Hi

WE have seen people jumping with everything from barefoot to a full leg cast, if you have confidence in your ability to determine the lack of a snag hazard with the Ninjas go for it.

Don't screw up.:|

One Jump Wonder

phreeloader

***Hooks?

i'm assuming hooks like these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jika-tabi.jpg

Yep, just like that.

They go about halfway to my knee, so they're actually less likely to come off (being under my jumpsuit and all and secured by the jumpsuit velcor) than my sneakers.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

FlyingRhenquest

They go about halfway to my knee, so they're actually less likely to come off (being under my jumpsuit and all and secured by the jumpsuit velcor) than my sneakers.

The day I found myself with a PC bridle wrapped around my shoe, I was *really* happy the shoe pulled off!
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

The day I found myself with a PC bridle wrapped around my shoe, I was *really* happy the shoe pulled off!

Good point! Interesting note -- wetsuit boots used for surfing sometimes have the same type of split-toe, but many have a bit of fabric between the two parts so you can't get your leash caught in there. That seems like it could be an issue here.

airtwardo

******Sticky?

Yah, the rubber soles stick to dry surfaces better than my sneakers do.

Ummm...you DO understand that's not necessarily a GOOD thing right?

It's not like some spiderman shit, dude! I can't walk around on the outside of the plane with ninja shoes! They're just a little more grippy than sneakers on surfaces I want them to be a little more grippy on. A lot of that is simply that I can feel surfaces better through the soles than I can sneakers. They give me more control for things like climbing.

FlyingRhenquest

*********Sticky?

Yah, the rubber soles stick to dry surfaces better than my sneakers do.

Ummm...you DO understand that's not necessarily a GOOD thing right?

It's not like some spiderman shit, dude! I can't walk around on the outside of the plane with ninja shoes! They're just a little more grippy than sneakers on surfaces I want them to be a little more grippy on. A lot of that is simply that I can feel surfaces better through the soles than I can sneakers. They give me more control for things like climbing.

Ok 'dude'...he's the deal ~ When you are landing a PARACHUTE there are quite often times you DO NOT want your shoes to stick to the dry surface you are landing on.

Imagine if you will, jumping out of the back of a moving pick-up doing 20 miles per hour...do you really want your FIRST point of contact to STICK to the surface?

I'll try and help you out here Bruce Lee...NO you do not!

The REASON everybody except ninjaskygods use smooth bottom 'sneakers' is so that they don't STICK a landing to the point of tearing knee cartilage. Catch that cutsie split toe on some uneven ground or a tangle of weeds and get use to bein' called Hop A Long for a while.

Stop trying to reinvent the wheel n00b, the reason you don't see everybody wearing ninja shoes at the dropzone...is they are NOT the best choice.

Wear them 'climbing' spider man...but leave them AND your utility belt under the bed with the rest of you superhero stuff when at the dropzone. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

They're not that sticky. I can break 'em loose like the rear tires of the Nismo when I want to. Even landing on asphalt, the profile's not radically different than sneakers. I figure I don't see people jumping on them for the same reason I don't see people wearing them. Most people don't even know they exist. Whether on a mission to kill a Chinese emperor or just lounging around the house, I've always found them to be superior footwear :P

FlyingRhenquest

They're not that sticky. I can break 'em loose like the rear tires of the Nismo when I want to. Even landing on asphalt, the profile's not radically different than sneakers. I figure I don't see people jumping on them for the same reason I don't see people wearing them. Most people don't even know they exist. Whether on a mission to kill a Chinese emperor or just lounging around the house, I've always found them to be superior footwear :P

Make up your mind...they're sticky or they're not sticky, :S

My point still stands, there are better choices.

Lounging around the house I never wear the footwear I do when I go skydiving. Because there are different requirements for the job.

One more word of caution ~ dress for the crash.

But hey...you do whatever you want to ~ personally, I never tire of telling someone I've tried to warn 'Told ya'! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I suggest we have a jumpoff to decide who is correct on the benifits of the coefficient of friction in the ninja footwear.

Mr Rhenquest can jump his boots for a season, and if the ninjas slip and slide as advertised than no problem.

Brake a tib, fib on landing the medic will cut one of the boots offB|
And Mr T is correct again:P

One Jump Wonder

FlyingRhenquest

I can break 'em loose like the rear tires of the Nismo when I want to.

*cringe*

FlyingRhenquest

I figure I don't see people jumping on them for the same reason I don't see people wearing them. Most people don't even know they exist.

I'm pretty sure there are other reasons, lol

The real problem is the hooks. They can catch a line in the case of an unstable (or premature) deployment, or a canopy collision/wrap. That's the reason that old school 'jump boots' don't use hooks like work boots or hiking boots, they have eyelets all the way up. Lose the ninja shoes, or find some without hooks.

That said, there's a real benefit to wearing some sort of 'real' or 'substantial' shoe when skydiving. You never know what sort of landing you're going to have, or where you're going to have it, so a thicker sole and substantial upper will provide far more protection for your feet. Some go as far as wearing high-tops for the ankle support, and some still actually jump lace-up boots. How far you want to go is up to you, but jumping in what sounds like nothing more than a glorified slipper doesn't sound like a good plan.

FlyingRhenquest

******Hooks?

i'm assuming hooks like these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jika-tabi.jpg

Yep, just like that.

Please post pics of your busted /mangled toes and or feet when it happens. Get some protection

***Ninja slippers... :D:ph34r::ph34r::D

Yes, I join Doug in laughing at the “Ninja Shoes”. Normally these discussions are were someone endangers themselves/others by trying to look “cool”, but here we have the dual purpose of someone looking like a dork and being unsafe.

The OP noted they are not in martial arts. I do train in martial arts and this footwear is not used in any discipline or style.

The footwear noted is used by unskilled construction workers in Asia, primarily for building or scaffolding work. In Asia, they (believe it or not) still use bamboo scaffolding in constructing large/tall buildings. The framework is only one layer deep (very not like US OSHA standards) and the guys use these to help in climbing – so no you don’t look like a Ninja; you look like some unskilled grunt on a work site. You have to stop living in the movies or video games.

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"