Whamie

A packers tip question

Hi skydiving friends!

I've been jumping as a licensed jumper since Feb 13. I'm still on my 210 sqft "Cadillac" and I will admit I am quite lazy packing that Cadillac up. So I've been having a packer pack my rig for every jump.
Each pack job costs $7 and an additional $3 for disconnecting and rigger rolling the main. In a Sat or Sun I make 4 jumps. So the cost I give to my packer is $34. To tip my packer I usually drop down $45 - $50 and tell him to keep the change.
My question is is $11 - $16 a good tip range? If not, what should I be tipping my packer in terms of monetary compensation?

Thanks everyone and blue skies!

I usually tip around a dollar per pack job, give or take. Usually it's whatever gets me to a round dollar amount. If it's a particularly hot day or otherwise challenging conditions, I might tip more.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Ditto what NW said-- I usually tip $1 a pack job, and I try to buy them lunch/dinner/beer/whatever. If it's a brutally hot and/or busy day and they are getting their ass kicked, I tend to throw in a few extra bucks. Those guys work really hard, and I appreciate them doing what they do for me. I also try to not be "that guy" who always needs their crap done 5 minutes ago when you drop it off, and I'm sure they appreciate that too.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

I agree. Those packers that I go to work their butts off and do it every weekend (well the weekends I am there). My hats off to them. I was asking because I didn't know if my tip range was too small. I certainly appreciate their work and I do not want to short change them at all.

The packers at my DZ will tell you (and honestly tell you) they will be happy to pack for you for just the standard fee ($6/per here). I believe that is true.

However, those are some hard working SOB's! I always tip at least a buck or two per pack job. If they do something awesome (And they usually do...) I try to go a little further.

Bringing them some food/drinks is usually appreciated also. Let them know you appreciate their hard work.

A good packer will take good care of you. Our packers are freaking amazing. When we are doing back to backs, triples, quads... they keep up and keep us rolling. They will always go above and beyond to help keep us in the air and not worrying about our gear being packed. They take great care of me, and I try to take great care of them in return.

That shit is hard work! And them doing a good job will mean the difference in you making that load or not. Don't short change your packers. :)

Your 210 isn't necessarily a "caddy" and most student rigs are that size or bigger anyways. If your only doing 4 jumps a day or so, why aren't you packing your rig yourself? That packing fee is good for a cpl of jumps! I would say do yourself a favor, and learn to pack it like a pro....
So, you bring your beer?

Its 5 o'clock somewhere
POPS #9344

Whamie

I agree. Those packers that I go to work their butts off and do it every weekend (well the weekends I am there). My hats off to them. I was asking because I didn't know if my tip range was too small. I certainly appreciate their work and I do not want to short change them at all.

If you have to ask if it's enough, then you're already doing better than other people who don't tip at all! :)
I know tipping is optional, but these guys deserve it. Another packer who deserves it is your rigger! I talked to a jumper recently who had no idea people give their riggers tips! I usually throw an extra $10-15 on a regular repack, and of course a bottle for the save--which coincidentally I had the pleasure of experiencing for the pre second time this past weekend, and trust me, I thought my rigger earned every penny and every bit of his tip when I saw the sweet sight of a clean reserve opening smoothly above my head! ;)

Whamie

Hi skydiving friends!

I've been jumping as a licensed jumper since Feb 13. I'm still on my 210 sqft "Cadillac" and I will admit I am quite lazy packing that Cadillac up. So I've been having a packer pack my rig for every jump.
Each pack job costs $7 and an additional $3 for disconnecting and rigger rolling the main. In a Sat or Sun I make 4 jumps. So the cost I give to my packer is $34. To tip my packer I usually drop down $45 - $50 and tell him to keep the change.
My question is is $11 - $16 a good tip range? If not, what should I be tipping my packer in terms of monetary compensation?

I pack for myself...and TIP myself a steak dinner and pitcher of beer on the way home from the dz.

Works out great for everybody!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

***Hi skydiving friends!

I pack for myself...and TIP myself a steak dinner and pitcher of beer on the way home from the dz.

Works out great for everybody!

Same here, except for the drinking & driving part.

I made 12 jumps Sunday and packed for myself. That was very gratifying day. That's also $72 I saved or roughly 3 more jumps. I'm not sure why the OP isn't packing, but I feel as if he/she is over tipping and wasting money on something he/she should be doing themselves. He/she would be SOL at my DZ cause the teams have the packers booked. Nothing wrong with over tipping, but consider using that money towards a private 1 on 1 packing class so you can learn to pack well and fast.

I made 12 jumps Sunday and packed for myself. That was very gratifying day. That's also $72 I saved or roughly 3 more jumps. I'm not sure why the OP isn't packing, but I feel as if he/she is over tipping and wasting money on something he/she should be doing themselves. He/she would be SOL at my DZ cause the teams have the packers booked. Nothing wrong with over tipping, but consider using that money towards a private 1 on 1 packing class so you can learn to pack well and fast.

Do you ever go out to dinner? If so, you should look into learning how to cook exclusively at home so you don't waste money or tipping on something that you could be doing for yourself. Actually, you can save all of that money you spend eating out and pay for a 1 on 1 cooking class so you can cook at home better and faster. ;)

There are lots of reasons people don't pack. I have a friend who jumps and is pretty well off. Good for him if he can afford to pay a packer for each jump. For me personally I am too slow to pack for myself on camp days where we're turning loads quick, and right now I'm coming off of a tear in my knee and can't bend down all the of the way for packing. Well, I can, but it irritates the crap out of my still healing injury. So, I pay a packer and appreciate them doing something for me that at the moment hurts me to do.

Seems like you assume since somebody is paying for packing its because they don't know how to pack for themselves.

LyraM45

Do you ever go out to dinner? If so, you should look into learning how to cook exclusively at home so you don't waste money or tipping on something that you could be doing for yourself. Actually, you can save all of that money you spend eating out and pay for a 1 on 1 cooking class so you can cook at home better and faster. ;)

There are lots of reasons people don't pack. I have a friend who jumps and is pretty well off. Good for him if he can afford to pay a packer for each jump. For me personally I am too slow to pack for myself on camp days where we're turning loads quick, and right now I'm coming off of a tear in my knee and can't bend down all the of the way for packing. Well, I can, but it irritates the crap out of my still healing injury. So, I pay a packer and appreciate them doing something for me that at the moment hurts me to do.

Seems like you assume since somebody is paying for packing its because they don't know how to pack for themselves.

Wait What? :o

You're not 'healthy' enough to pack...but you're ok to Skydive? :D:D:D

airtwardo

Reread what I wrote-- I can do it, but out of jumping, packing, walking, etc, etc, it's probably the thing that irritates and stresses my knee the most. Yes, I am jumping, but I'm making the best choices to avoid things that could screw my still healing knee up again. My orthopedic cleared me to get back in to things, but make smart choices, so that's what I'm trying to do and if it means not packing because its irritating, then I choose to pay a packer for the next month or so until things heal up better. If it means not jumping if there is no wind and I could have a hard stomper, then so be it. I wish I was healthy enough to pack AND jump without any limitations. At least I'm getting to jump a little instead of being completely out of commission like I've been the last 3.5 months!

Thanks.

LyraM45

Reread what I wrote-- I can do it, but out of jumping, packing, walking, etc, etc, it's probably the thing that irritates and stresses my knee the most. Yes, I am jumping, but I'm making the best choices to avoid things that could screw my still healing knee up again. My orthopedic cleared me to get back in to things, but make smart choices, so that's what I'm trying to do and if it means not packing because its irritating, then I choose to pay a packer for the next month or so until things heal up better. If it means not jumping if there is no wind and I could have a hard stomper, then so be it. I wish I was healthy enough to pack AND jump without any limitations. At least I'm getting to jump a little instead of being completely out of commission like I've been the last 3.5 months!

Thanks.

You're welcome! :)

Don't need to re-read it, speaks for itself...just gave me chuckle. ;)

Hey I'm not being critical...do whatever ya want. B|

I'm a little defensive because I knew people would jump on the "oh, you can't pack but you can jump" train with that other post. I know it looks like that, but I'm giving plenty up on jumps too: no freestyle, no linked leg exits, jumping only in perfect winds for soft landings, etc. I had to say no to quite a few jumps this past boogie weekend. It's terribly frustrating! I wish I could pack without getting a little swollen and irritated, but it's just on the list of things, along with some of the jumps, that I can't quite do yet I guess.

LyraM45

I'm a little defensive because I knew people would jump on the "oh, you can't pack but you can jump" train with that other post. I know it looks like that, but I'm giving plenty up on jumps too: no freestyle, no linked leg exits, jumping only in perfect winds for soft landings, etc. I had to say no to quite a few jumps this past boogie weekend. It's terribly frustrating! I wish I could pack without getting a little swollen and irritated, but it's just on the list of things, along with some of the jumps, that I can't quite do yet I guess.

Just be careful...my wife hurt her knee 6 months ago, same thing 'take it slow' - but she keeps tweaking it.

She should know better she's an athlete...(26 marathons in the past 5 years)

I think people often 'want to' more than they 'need to' and it ends up taking longer to hit 100% ...if ya get my drift ;)

Should you tip your packer if you have a malfunction and need to deploy your reserve? I've had two reserve rides, both with purchased pack jobs. One of them was a total, the pilot chute was locked up in the pocket. The other was a big sniveling ball of shit that I didn't have the time to see how it might turn out.

I did get an apology both times from the packers, should I have asked for a freebie?

Of course my rigger was recognized both times in the traditional manner.

T
El Cap 699

TommyM

Should you tip your packer if you have a malfunction and need to deploy your reserve? I've had two reserve rides, both with purchased pack jobs. One of them was a total, the pilot chute was locked up in the pocket. The other was a big sniveling ball of shit that I didn't have the time to see how it might turn out.

I did get an apology both times from the packers, should I have asked for a freebie?

T
El Cap 699

Ya pay for the pack job...not the opening.

redramdriver

Your 210 isn't necessarily a "caddy" and most student rigs are that size or bigger anyways. If your only doing 4 jumps a day or so, why aren't you packing your rig yourself? That packing fee is good for a cpl of jumps! I would say do yourself a favor, and learn to pack it like a pro....

I know. I feel ashamed. I did take a packing class just to fulfill the requirements to become lic. But in the class we learned to pack over a hook. I'm going to take a refresher course and learn to pack over the shoulder.
For now, it takes me 1 hour to pack my rental :(
That's why i'm opting to pay for a packer while I wait for my rig to come in.

TommyM

T
El Cap 699

I just had my first chop last weekend.... and the rig was not packed by me ;)

Was I mad or treat who packed it any differently? Nope. I pay for the pack job and not the opening.

TommyM

T
El Cap 699

I've not had a reserve ride in >>30 years? At a meet where I was jumping camera for several teams, I had a spinning, sniveling, crappy opening (packed by a packer). I got it sorted out and did not have to cut away. But, I went to the packer and discussed it with him. I did this so he could keep an eye out for damage on the next pack job.

He offered to "not charge me" for that pack job. Although that was a nice gesture, I told him that (as Twardo put it) I pay for the pack job, not the opening. I got beautiful openings the rest of the day.

The best pack job in the world does not insure good openings. B|
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

I'll suggest keep at it..the packing.
It's a pain in the butt and time consuming at first but you get better and faster at it with practice.

A side benefit is that you get more familiar with the canopy and how it's put together.

Another side benefit is that, as you are packing, you are checking for potential problems that could be avoided.
-frayed lines
-twisted brake lines
-tears/damage to the canopy
-bridle and PC wear
-etc.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

LyraM45

Ditto what NW said-- I usually tip $1 a pack job, and I try to buy them lunch/dinner/beer/whatever.

...AND dinner???
Heck, just throw 'em the $1 and a side of beef and stand back.
;)

Packers...it's where the designation 'pack animals' comes from.
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239