BigMikeH77

Landing out... A Farmer McUpset story

I've got to call BS here, sir. I only reply to this because it's a topic that I cover with students frequently. I reject this train of thought and demand proper flight planning. Landing out is not an emergency - it is a result of either poor planning or poor execution

To you and me, yes. In regards to the legal aspect, we have the legal right as per the FAA to do whatever needed in order to make a 'safe' landing. My comment was in reference to the idea that the jumper was 'trespassing' in the legal sense, and possibly at risk of being arrested as such.

I get that jumpers can prevent off-field landing through proper planning and execution, but that's a separate topic from the legal implications of landing on private property.

So you had a learnin experience! :)
Try to remember that from the other guys perspective: "You guys in those darn parachutes,...can land wherever you can!"

this kind of makes things a little touchee cause they are attributing a certian causality to the event!

You did it! It didn't just happen cause of an axcident!

They think you did this intentionally!

Sounds to me like you did the best you could and know what? I don't think anyone could have done better;)

I will didtto the extra mile by befreinding this individual at your earlyist convience, perhaps not beer, but like a good christmas present, finding something that they might enjoy!
At a time when they might like to see you, not in the middle of plowing or such?

As far as mentionin insurance? Ever deal with an insurance company, if they are a landowner, they have dealt with insuance and I tell ya: Not what I want to hear!

It could be a 2 buck box of candy for the wife as compared with 500 in insurance money, my bet is that they will remember the gesture long after the cash?

And speaking of time, a good DZ knows its neighbors long before something like this happens, but alas most aren't this proactive????

Has anyone have a good neighbor policy where they actually make house calls in place??? Before an incident???

C

But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

I believe Dave is correct as far as the legal liability is concerned- even as far back as the mid '70's... The only thing is that een though the charges were dropped later, I still got arrested (including handcuffs) and summoned. You can beat the charge, but you can't beat the ride in the back of the Deputy's car...

FastRon

I believe Dave is correct as far as the legal liability is concerned- even as far back as the mid '70's... The only thing is that een though the charges were dropped later, I still got arrested (including handcuffs) and summoned. You can beat the charge, but you can't beat the ride in the back of the Deputy's car...

No Civil Rights suit?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I was pointing out that off field landings shouldn't be written off as 'shit happens.' As agreed to above, they are most often preventable. I just wouldn't want anyone reading this to ge the wrong impression - each of us has a responsibility to properly plan and execute our canopy flights.

Good topic here - Glad to see that this discussion hasn't turned into a flame fest.

D
The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

For Pops- Nope- no civil rights suit. Angry farmers, two deputies, me and a bunch of puzzled cows all gathered together. Cops had probable casue- likely never heard of FARS. I was happy to avoid having my rig seized, being maced, jailed, and/or fined... Took months to sort out though.

I was pointing out that off field landings shouldn't be written off as 'shit happens.'

+1

As agreed to above, they are most often preventable. I just wouldn't want anyone reading this to ge the wrong impression - each of us has a responsibility to properly plan and execute our canopy flights.

+2
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I got to meet one of the local farmers yesterday. I had a cut away over a large pasture. There was corn in one of the fields close by but (thankfully) my stuff landed in the pasture and I landed near my freebag. I then headed toward my main which was in the field just north of the one I landed in. At the fence was the farmer on his 4 wheeler. I asked him if he was the owner and told him I was sorry but I had a problem. As I got my gear off to get over the fence we chatted a bit. It was a very well made barbed wire fence with lots of stay posts. No way to get through it. He suggested I climb over. I really didn’t want to do that because I don’t’ climb over my own fences. He helped me find a spot that was a little wider between the wires and I wiggled my way through.

He then took me on his 4 wheeler to his gate. I explained I needed to find my main. After dropping all my gear (including wingsuit) at the gate, he suggested I take his 4 wheeler to look for my main. I got the main in short order. I shook his hand and told him I was very grateful for the help. I didn’t have any money with me but after I got back to the DZ and got my stuff all put away, I went back to him with $20. He wouldn’t take it but I told him I would feel bad if he didn’t and finally it took the money.

His wife said someone lost a helmet told them if they ever see it they would like to have it back. The woman told me she spent about one and a half days looking for it, found it, returned it to the DZ, but no one ever came back and thanked her. But still they were willing to help me like they did. The couple made an impression on me. I hope I made one on them as well. I love the "south".
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

brucet7

*** He could have been a real jerk by not turning the fence off but telling you that he did! Did you check that der fence before you crossed it? I probably would've taken him for his word and then got zapped. One to remember.

And the zap from an electric fence is not that bad. I have been zapped a number of times growing up on the farm. (Then again, that may explain a thing or two.)

I had a friend, growing up, that lived on a dairy farm. We used to dare each other to hold on to the electrified fence too. It isn't pleasant, but it is hardly lethal.
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

NorrinRadd

****** He could have been a real jerk by not turning the fence off but telling you that he did! Did you check that der fence before you crossed it? I probably would've taken him for his word and then got zapped. One to remember.

And the zap from an electric fence is not that bad. I have been zapped a number of times growing up on the farm. (Then again, that may explain a thing or two.)

I had a friend, growing up, that lived on a dairy farm. We used to dare each other to hold on to the electrified fence too. It isn't pleasant, but it is hardly lethal.

My dirty bastard evil cousins up in Oregon (you know who you are!) tried to get us to pee on it.

BigMark

********* He could have been a real jerk by not turning the fence off but telling you that he did! Did you check that der fence before you crossed it? I probably would've taken him for his word and then got zapped. One to remember.

My dirty bastard evil cousins up in Oregon (you know who you are!) tried to get us to pee on it.

:o:o[:/]
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

Hi norm

Couldn't keep the dogs inside a reguler fence. Dog catcher was B| suggested electric fence

Basically if the dog can get there head under the fence they can push and pull the rest of their body thru.

The electric fence almost worked like a charm. As soon as we turned the juice on the male hiked his leg and peed on the fence. We could hear the yelp in the house.:)
The next time the male had to pee he did it in the middle of the carpet:oThe dog catcher told us after a couple of zaps we wouldn't even have to turn the electricity on. She was right.

I put up all the required signs Warning Electric Fence!!! To keep the neighbor kids away from the fence.

Dogs are smarter than people that warning sign was a idiot magnet.:o

First the neighbor kid sees the sign so the dude and his girlfriend hold hands and the dude grabs the wire. With the predictable result followed by giggles. :S

The kid had so much fun he went and got his whole family to play with fence.

We watched mom, dad, and the 4 kids hold hands and make believe like dad was going to grab the wire. As soon as dad made a move for the wire everyone would drop there hands to keep from getting zapped.

Evently dad caught them off guard and you could see the electricity move from dad to the next person to the next etc.

After that episode we took down the signs and shut off the fence. The poor dog that pissed on the fence got over the initial schock, but if one of his
toys got between the electric fence and the exterior fence he would not retrieve his toy.

Dogs are smarter than people:D

R

One Jump Wonder

Be careful with these fences people, not all models are the same. There are more than a few Panther 20,000 joule units out there and you don't want to think that is the same as from your local box store.

Pee on that thing and your dick will be found ten feet away, still smookin, the next day!

C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."