xijonix

What was your "next" Canopy?

We see everyone ask what they should buy for their first canopy with the consensus being something forgiving. But how about after that? After you already own your first rig and have no real "need" to get another canopy since you could just continue jumping the one you already own, What did you buy and why did you buy it?

I personally love the Triathlon that I have. It allows me just enough room to learn some canopy control without having to up my wingloading. Taking downsizing out of the equation and having demoed some of my contenders for my next canopy, I've settled on a Pulse or a Pilot; whichever I can find first in the right size and price.

Point being, I don't need another canopy because the one I have now works just fine. I do however know what I want to move to when it becomes available.

So what about you?

Spectre, Pilot, Pulse. Been on the Pulse since 2009 and have no plans to change. Even built a second rig that also has one.

Switched from Spectre to Pilot for something different - fell in love with the flat glide of that canopy, but never loved the flare. Tried a Pulse demo as soon as they were available and liked the similar glide to the Pilot, the more positive / less snively openings, and the higher flare point. Plus, it allowed me to buy the same size canopy with smaller bulk, which was good since the Pilot was a tight fit for the container I had then (which is now my backup container).

My goals have never been around going faster. My goals now are the same as when I bought my first canopy - to have a canopy that packs easily, opens nicely without a lot of drama, and that I have a good chance of landing safely in a wide variety of conditions. B|

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Katana 135.

I wanted something fast, divey and demoed it and enjoyed it. This was from the Sabre2 150 I bought as my first canopy.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

xijonix

We see everyone ask what they should buy for their first canopy with the consensus being something forgiving. But how about after that? After you already own your first rig and have no real "need" to get another canopy since you could just continue jumping the one you already own, What did you buy and why did you buy it?

I personally love the Triathlon that I have. It allows me just enough room to learn some canopy control without having to up my wingloading. Taking downsizing out of the equation and having demoed some of my contenders for my next canopy, I've settled on a Pulse or a Pilot; whichever I can find first in the right size and price.

Point being, I don't need another canopy because the one I have now works just fine. I do however know what I want to move to when it becomes available.

So what about you?

Tri 190 -> Tri 175 -> Tri 160. Gonna stay at the 160. Love my Tri, especially for the wingsuit.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

My rig came with a 1998 Sabre 170, jumped it on my 80th jump - and replaced that with a 2004 Sabre 2 170 on my 280th jump. I didn't want to change canopies, but I had enough of the hard openings. Everyone told me that both canopies were similar in speed - but no, the new one was so much faster, I was in abject fear the entire time between opening and landing! I was glad I didn't listen to my mate urging me to buy a Sabre 2 150. Right now, I've got a little over 300 jumps in total, and have no interest whatsoever in downsizing - I want to learn how to *fly* my canopy, I can plainly see I have lots to learn on this canopy. I actually wish I brought a 190 the first time around, and fly a 190 right now and not a 170 as I think it's too small for my current WL (1.3), but my instructor recommended me get a 170. Recently, I was talking to my mate and I said "I could see myself jumping this 170 for several hundred jumps, however I wouldn't be surprised if I never ever downsized" but he bets I'll be downsizing some time. We'll see!

Went from a Raven II 220 sqft 7cell after about 370 jumps to a Stiletto 120..... And hooked it right in the ground on the 4th jump.

I DID work my way down borrowing canopies and had gotten to the 97 Stiletto, but ordered the 120.

Seems I was still a bit premature.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

xijonix

So what about you?

Raven IV -> Fusion 210 -> Fusion 190. If I downsize again, and I don't know why I would, it'll be a Fusion 170.
cavete terrae.

Sabre2 210 for the last 350 jumps. Since I bought it I have drank many, many good beers and many, many good bourbons, and a large amount of Mac-n-cheese with short rib, scallops, bacon and lobster...my wing loading has suffered. I'm about a 1.2 on it.

I never miss the peas on a swoop n' chug and I'm the first to sit out bad winds

I have a Sabre 2 170 in my closet waiting to go, but I may just keep on keeping on with what I have now. I do have experienced jumpers, and many of my AFF instructors telling me to downsize, and I will at some point no doubt...but right now I feel real confident on this one and I want to stay here for a bit.

The only issue I have is that I want a new, custom fitting container to learn free flying with, as my main flap likes to come out at the damnedest of times.

So I figure another 50 or so jumps and ill get a container made to fit a 170. Maybe do 100 or so on my riggers 190 before then. We'll see.

Ask me next week.... PD will be at the Skydive Dallas American Revolution boogie this weekend. They will have lots of demo canopies for me to try.... On my list:

Smaller Spectre (Currently jump a Spectre)
Pulse
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

When I bought my first rig it came with a Sabre2 170. I also bought a Silhouette 190 (which I load just under 1:1). I'll jump that for at least another 80 jumps. When I hit 100 I'll see how it feals, but it's quite likely that I will be wanting something a little more exiting (as in I'll quite probably change to the Sabre2).

I personally love the Triathlon that I have. It allows me just enough room to learn some canopy control without having to up my wing loading.

Your taking the same path I did. Very forgiving canopy, you can land on a dime and sink in anywhere you want for an alternative landing if you have to. As you progress, learn to steer with the rears, and bit by bit learn to swoop that dog!

Best-
Richard

skymama

Hornet 190 to Sabre 2 170. Twelve years later, I still haven't downsized past that. :ph34r:

If you keep breaking toes, maybe you should consider a Nav 210! ;)
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

demoknite

Just got the same canopy one size down.

Same. Bought a Pilot 168, made 300 jumps on it and loved every one.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?