JALUV2

pepperell tree landing being billed 10grand

It is common practice for medical insurance companies to sue in an attempt to reclaim their losses.
Sadly, government agencies are now starting to sue to reclaim rescue costs.

For example, about four years ago, we had a bad weekend in the Vancouver area. First there was a truck roaring through a wedding parade, then a hot-air balloon crashed, then an IAD student sprial-dived his way into the morgue.
The only saving grace was that the other two accidents distracted the press from the skydiving death.
Now the Provincial government of British Columbia is shotgun suing everyone vaguely related to the hot-air balloon accident to recoup their medical costs.
This legal practice is only going to get worse!
We will see more and more DZs sued out of business (by governments) over stupid things done by customers.

How exactly did he get said lady down?

Climbed to a point above her, lowered a rope w/caribiner, she put it thru her harness at shoulder, clipped in & cut-a-way, then he lowered her from above. Pretty sure he used some version of a figure 8 system. Then he retrieved the canopy, & lowered himself.

I read this whole thing,...:S

This is a real blame the victim mentality and is increasing everywhere. This story while very pertinent to skydiving is happening in record numbers every where and anywhere your local ambulance and fire departments are called. It is new and a very dangerous trend in our society.

Blame the victim and the population of victims are small and generally defensless, this is the mechanisim that the general public, media, fail to understand and that our Americkian politicos are exploiting!

It is a very sad commentary about life in the new Republic.

New Yourk in the 40s ' and early 50s' had a number of cases where the police ambulance would show up and if you didn't have any cash, the ambulance would drive away.

When this happened to the "right person" (some white children.) the public outcry was large and laws were passed to protect the public from this type of behaivior. Made a lot of noise at the time, not as big as the Triangle Fire, but very big non-the-less. >:(

Anytime yo have a minority, that minorities rights and equal treatment have to be defended, SEE John Stewart Mill and his treatis on the subject, for many of yo this was required reading.

Frankilin went to france to learn and get ideas on how a sustainable Democracy worked...The French instilled in all of our founding fathers ideas that would ensure the preservation of rights and to limit the power of government to fight tyranny!

healt care and the formation of governments had ambulances and fire departments accessable for all as a fundamental idea and was institutited by law during the French revolution!

Our founding fathers had this in mind.

Now we have minorities, that the public justifies the cost argument, simply because they can get away with it!

This is another form of tyranny folks, recognize it for what it is...

You might need an ambulance someday, anyone might, this is a mark of what one great past president termed a "measure of a great society..."

But many of you heer are a little too comfortable blaming the victim :S
C

But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

PiLFy

I wonder if the lawyer of this incident's Rescuee was able to get the bogus bill quashed?

Going to a lawyer isn't always the answer, unless you can find one that works for free. :S

Not a slam against lawyers they can't afford to work for free.

Think win win, not win lose, or even worse lose lose.

Depending on how much a person wants their lawyer to push the issue, they will do that. But a lawyers bill can exceed $10k very fast, even faster if you call the lawyer, the meter starts running as soon as he answers his phone,

Spend a $1 to save $.10. No problem for the lawyer.
Enjoy
One Jump Wonder

Hi Robert,

even faster if you call the lawyer, the meter starts running as soon as he answers his phone,

Disclaimer: My son is an attorney.

Over the years I have used numerous attorneys and you could not be more wrong.

I have yet to meet one that charged for the first conversation. It is a cost of their doing business.

Since I put my son through law school my attorney's fees have gone down considerably.

:P

JerryBaumchen

I remember chatting w/the guy when this happened, via PM. He'd said he really couldn't go into specifics because the lawyers were hashing it out. I don't recall his handle. I do remember that there were far more rescue guys there, than needed. Why should he be forced to pay for their slow day/training exercise? A student ended up stuck in a tree about 70' up, three years ago. I watched the ONE GUY the DZO had called, rescue him. He simply climbed the tree in a harness, secured the student w/a rope, & cut away the treed main. A few of us then lowered the guy to go make his beer run. Problem solved...

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/39516346/ns/us_news-life/t/no-pay-no-spray-firefighters-let-home-burn/

In case anyone has any illusions about where this trend is headed, I'll reference what happened in Mid
americka a few years ago...

A small town in Tenn? S Carolina, one of those progressive states.....

Small town, fire department says they want more money, everyone already paying taxes, and this is the key point...everyone already paying taxes...small town fire chief says if you want fire protection have to pay extra...puts everyones name of pays extra on list,...some people can't afford extra!

Fire breakes out at family home, name not on list, home destroyed because fire department watches it burn!

True story.

and these are the people that we are electing and volunteering to protect us?

Something is wrong!

C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."