JALUV2

pepperell tree landing being billed 10grand

There's an old saying, there's a profit to be made off
of other peoples misery>:(

yeah, people say lots of ignorant things.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

First, all of those guys are more then likely on a salary. So there would be very little direct expense involved in this incident.

This is the point that sticks with me. These people are probably on salary so the actual incremental costs for this rescue are minimal. As such, this is looks like a cash grab to me.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

I think the fund would only cover the individuals with a card.

So, kinda like the families and homeowners who live within only a "Volunteer FD" protected district. To draw a parallel? When you donate to the local FD company, they send you a wallet card and a window sticker.

There's several highly-publicized instances out there of just how well this "works" at times too. :S
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

I think the fund would only cover the individuals with a card.

So, kinda like the families and homeowners who live within only a "Volunteer FD" protected district. To draw a parallel? When you donate to the local FD company, they send you a wallet card and a window sticker.

There's several highly-publicized instances out there of just how well this "works" at times too. :S

I think to a large degree it makes good sense... It is designed to cover many of those who are at a greater risk of needing rescue: "Anyone with a current hunting/fishing license, or boat, snowmobile, ATV registration is already covered by the fund." I also know that a lot of back-country skiers/snowboarders buy a permit that will cover them in the event of needed rescue.

The thing is here in Colorado we get a lot of Clark Griswold like families that think they can just come out here and, do their first 14er, back-country skying/snowmobiling/camping/hunting/fishing, you name it... sometimes these search and rescue missions take days and include many, many people, helicopters, ATV's, etc....

I think it's completely reasonable to charge people for these rescues..., and also to have a fund that may cover that expense for those that are wise enough to contribute to it.

I don't think you can compare it to the private fire dept concept, because a fire can happen by accident at any time and effect anyone. When you wander into the mountains you are automatically putting yourself at risk for a reason to need 'search and rescue', something that you introduced onto yourself and could have been avoided.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Coincidence??
Google "Pepperell 4 of July Fireworks Fund" . It's a PDF, so I wasn't able to put in a direct link.

Yes you can :P

http://www.pepperell-mass.com/downloads/4thJuly/Fireworks%20fundraiser%20flyer%20%203.pdf
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Therefore if you bought a permit thingy for a few bucks then you don't have to worry about any additional expenses, if not then there is no limit to the cost.

Why not just make them buy the permit thing afterward? Buying the permit card thing doesn't make anyone less likely to need a rescue, it just shows they already contributed to the rescue fund, no difference in the end if they bought it before vs after.

Perhaps they just want to be able to collect big time when they are lucky enough to rescue someone that didn't already contribute a few bucks.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Therefore if you bought a permit thingy for a few bucks then you don't have to worry about any additional expenses, if not then there is no limit to the cost.

That would be absurd... the cost of rescue should be based on the resources used not how/who will be funding it.

Why not just make them buy the permit thing afterward? Buying the permit card thing doesn't make anyone less likely to need a rescue, it just shows they already contributed to the rescue fund, no difference in the end if they bought it before vs after.

Your missing the entire concept if you need that explained to you.

Perhaps they just want to be able to collect big time when they are lucky enough to rescue someone that didn't already contribute a few bucks.

Back to the first reply.

--

In this particular tree rescue, I agree that it sounds like the charges are way too high, but this is not the same thing as what I'm talking about with the Colorado Outdoor Recreation Search and Rescue.

No, I get it, but I don't think you get how others see the big picture.

When they're on the way to the site of a rescue, they have to be thinking, "I hope they didn't already buy a card."
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

When they're on the way to the site of a rescue, they have to be thinking, "I hope they didn't already buy a card."

No, your missing the big picture.

The entities involved get paid for the rescue either way, either through the fund or private payment. The cost and reimbursement should be the same regardless.

Here is the page that better explains what the Colorado Search and Rescue Fund is all about.

http://dola.colorado.gov/dlg/fa/sar/index.html

Lots of fire chiefs and lawyers here on DZ.com, Who knew.:P

Again:
Meet with your local FD, Police and Ambulance folks.
Sort all of these issues out ahead of time.
Buy them some donuts and coffee.
Give them some training.
It works.

By the way, I'm still waiting for the CalFire audio/visual training captain to finish my DZ EMS training DVD for everyone.

By the way, I'm still waiting for the CalFire audio/visual training captain to finish my DZ EMS training DVD for everyone.

oh, cool. yeah i was wondering what the story was on that one. :)
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

First, all of those guys are more then likely on a salary. So there would be very little direct expense involved in this incident.

This is the point that sticks with me. These people are probably on salary so the actual incremental costs for this rescue are minimal. As such, this is looks like a cash grab to me.

Just as simple as that. Period.
Oh...and don't interrupt the poker game.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

They get cats out of trees every day for free. Next time you see a skydiver hanging from a tree throw him a cat. Then call the fire dept.

:D:D:D
I like it.
If you don't like the guy....throw him a MAD cat.
:D:D

They get cats out of trees every day for free. Next time you see a skydiver hanging from a tree throw him a cat. Then call the fire dept.

I like it.

After you throw the cat to a guy in a tree, the cat will be mad, absolutely guaranteed.;)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I like it.

After you throw the cat to a guy in a tree, the cat will be mad, absolutely guaranteed.;)

Don't be MEAN -

Throw it in his conopy.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I like it.

Wouldn't gettin stuck in a tree make ya a pussy anyway?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Thanks. I must have tried to paste the wrong thing, 'cause I wound up with a mess. At any rate, looks like they figured out where to get the $10,000.

If you read the posted stories and comments here (esp. mine):

1) DZ is in Pepperell. Skydiver landed in Dunstable (across the river from the DZ). A different town.

2) The "Essex County Technical Rescue Team" is from a combined community area of Essex County, MA. The nearest town in Essex County to Pepperell is Methuen, MA, which is about 14 miles away. (I assume these guys got called cuz Middlesex County does not have technical rescue capabilities)

3) You will note that the skydiver is being billed by the Essex County Fire Chief's Association, which manages multi-town compacts, such as the technical rescue team, within Essex County. Not the town of Pepperell and not even the town of Dunstable where he landed.

The town of Pepperell is actually pretty good about the DZ. We get along fairly well with our neighbors (you have the McNasty or two, of course) and when we have off-landings (*cough* J-Sho *cough* ), there have been instances of skydivers being offered beer and barbecue. Sadly, in the off-landings I've had, I *always* seem to miss landing next to the pool full of bikini-clad beauties with coolers full of beer. *Dammit*

But I'm pretty sure that Pepperell isn't funding its fireworks thru a cooperative agreement with the Essex County Fire Chiefs Association. Call me crazy...
NIN
D-19617, AFF-I '19

No, your missing the big picture.

The entities involved get paid for the rescue either way, either through the fund or private payment. The cost and reimbursement should be the same regardless.

Here is the page that better explains what the Colorado Search and Rescue Fund is all about.

http://dola.colorado.gov/dlg/fa/sar/index.html

Sorry, but I think you are missing the bigger picture. The State & Fed govt.s steal far more monies than they correctly allocate. Rather than scaling back their thievery, & spending public funds as they should. They're trying to steal more wherever they can.

1) The jumper was never informed of these charges. These charges which were so obvious, that they weren't imposed until three months after the event. He had no opportunity to decline the chargeable service. Nor was he even informed about them. On the basis of that alone. They're null & void.

2) The salaried rescue personnel are being paid to sit around the firehouse, anyway. The actual additional cost was only gas for a few vehicles & a chainsaw. They didn't need to fly a $3million helicopter a few hours up into the Rockies. Your Colorado fund rationale doesn't apply, here.

3) The volunteers, & other hangers on who show up @these things, didn't cost a thing.

4) How many ____s does it take to change a lightbulb? There were far more personnel present than needed.

This is an obvious cash grab by some sleazy minion in a Govt. back office. All they're going to get over this. Is a bigger black eye the further they push it.

The problem is the others you speak of don’t see the big picture. All they see is what will affect their own little world. When you get hurt in someone else backyard do you think they should carry the weight?

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

When you get hurt in someone else backyard do you think they should carry the weight?

Sparky

If "they" are already being paid to do just that, then yes.

Who was the dumbass who called them in the first place for a simple tree landing anyway?

"Ooo, Ooo, somebody landed in a tree. Let's call 9-1-1!"

I hope it was some wuffo and not a skydiver.

And I suppose you are the resident expert on “spending public funds as they should.” I doubt you have a clue how to manage a multi-department municipal budget with funding vehicles you have never hear of.
Stick to SC.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals