gijosephine

Newbie w/ Injury

I've only made 2 jumps doing Tandem Progression and completed my FJC. I had a bad landing Jump #2. I fractured my sacrum and am now grounded until further notice. I'm super bummed as I was trying to complete AFF before winter hits. But, on a good note, now I have time to catch up on a lot of reading with the Skydiver's Handbook and USPA SIM.

My question is I was medically retired from the Army (still able enough to jump) and have Medicare as primary and Tricare for Life as secondary insurance. I am wondering if anyone knows if all these doc visits will be covered. I searched here and online and couldn't find anything about it. I'm just freaking out after 2 ER visits, 1 doc visit, several x-rays, 1 MRI and 1 CAT scan so far. I have neurosurgeon appointment this coming Wednesday.

The injury was no one's fault in case any one is wondering. I believe it was shifting wind direction upon flare with no input. Because I was tandem, I took the brunt of the fall from about 12 feet on down.

Never been in so much pain my whole life, but resting up, reading and learning all I can to jump right back into AFF as soon as I am healed. Forums like this are keeping me busy.

Thanks so much!

Also, has anyone else had a similar injury, recovered and returned to diving? What was your experience?

Can't help with your questions, but I wish you a speedy recovery and thanks for your service.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Sorry to hear you got hurt. I managed to fracture my cocyx and never realised that so many things seemed to be connected to my arse! It even hurt when I blinked! :D

It took me about 6 or 8 months to get pain free, but the thing to remember is that there's no rush. The sky isn't going anywhere! Make sure you're properly healed before jumping again... I've known a few people that have pushed it, jumping when they're 'nearly' better, only to take themselves out for even longer as a result.

gijosephine

Also, has anyone else had a similar injury, recovered and returned to diving? What was your experience?

Burst Fracture of my L3 vertebrae (bad landing) on December 12, 1999 and made my return to jumping February 25, 2000.
My experience? It hurt... a lot. I break out into a sweat thinking about the pain during recovery.

david3

Burst Fracture of my L3 vertebrae (bad landing) on December 12, 1999 and made my return to jumping February 25, 2000.
My experience? It hurt... a lot. I break out into a sweat thinking about the pain during recovery.

David3 did you find yourself afraid of the ground/landings after your injury? What did you do to confront that fear? I see you have D license so maybe you weren't.

On my level 2 AFF I did the same. Took 2 years to sit comfortably and 8 years later still uncomfortable sometimes. I jumped the next day and completed AFF the next week. The worst was sitting in the plane on the way to altitude. Won't damage you just hurts so never quit. It goes away eventually.

bigorangemd

On my level 2 AFF I did the same. Took 2 years to sit comfortably and 8 years later still uncomfortable sometimes. I jumped the next day and completed AFF the next week. The worst was sitting in the plane on the way to altitude. Won't damage you just hurts so never quit. It goes away eventually.

What are you, a doctor or something?? :P

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...