braden.smith

Jumbo PC Malfunction and Cutaway

Nice video! Probably should be in the history and trivia forum since most jumpers today are probably going to want to downsize their pilotchutes cause apparently the "jumbo" ones tend to malfunction ;)

1:27 "Noooooooooooooooo" buhahaha!:) That was the best part! Freaking condensation sucked, just bad luck all around! Nice looking PC though!

28' reserve was a very good choice on this jump, looks like it put him down nicely, could have been worse if over those houses.

Lets see some outside video! Thanks for posting!

We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

What was up with the guy holding/showing the ripcord in freefall?

It wasn't clear if hard toggle input on both sides was applied to try and clear the mal.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

oldwomanc6

Feet and knees together, dude! Look at the horizon.

"Then when you come down you're gonna find the piece and you're gonna land over here and you're going to get in this position - except you don't wanna do that - because that means you in trouble, so what you want to do is you wanna get right here and then you're gonna come round here and you're gonna fold up and you're gonna do a toggle and jettison and always watch the horizon O.K?":D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

braden.smith

My friend jumped a jumbo pc the other day and had to chop it and ride a 1955 reserve. Awesome video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I295OwZK77k&feature=youtu.be

Hi

Great video, great audio definitely post it in history and trivia forum.

The next time could please mount a go pro on your foot and bicep so we can see the capewells and reserve ripcord pull.;)

Thanks
One Jump Wonder

Bring back the rounds (NOT) From memory those PC did often mal .. but the good ole T10s... with netting. almost never even with some of my lousy pack jobs.

great memories of those days thanks
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??

We had 500 jumps on pc's.

No malfunctions, which wasn't unusual.

The malfunction on the jumbo pc, was a line over. The result of poor packing not the canopy.

I'm not a rigger, just old. Time to take a nap:D

Enjoy

One Jump Wonder

braden.smith

had to chop it and ride a 1955 reserve.

Someone needs a new kicker plate!
Has John Berry (as named from the youtube video) done a lot of round canopy jumping? Those Jumbo PC's are fairly rare and in demand.

Impressive, a 58 year old reserve.

I've had to ride a 36 year old round reserve, and jumped a 55 year old reserve as a main, but a 58 really goes well beyond!

It did look like he did a bunch of right rear riser and perhaps a couple quick right toggle yanks while trying to fight the mal.

Nice fast chop & reserve pull sequence, although it is hard from the video to tell what his body position was (seemed a bit upright), and whether he guarded his Capewells.

The reserve opening sure is messy. It seems OK until one looks at things nearly frame by frame.

Rounds can be that way, especially undiapered like his C-9. I saw the same in the photos of the two jumps of mine that I mentioned.

There's the messy skirt, poorly tensioned lines whipping around, the temporary partial inversion. Yeah, there's a lot that happens too fast for the eye that you really don't want to know about. ;)

Here are some stills from this thread's video, during the reserve inflation:

Kicker plate seen after the MA-1 pilot chute goes by:
[inline j0.jpg]

Canopy skirt:
[inline j1.jpg]

Lines:
[inline j2.jpg]

Temporary partial inversion:
Initially it fills almost the whole properly inflated part!
:S:S:S
[inline j3.jpg]

Temporary partial inversion getting 'squeezed out' as the canopy continues to inflate. Glad to have a very solid C-9 when the lower lateral band is rubbing across itself like that on an undiapered opening.
[inline j4a.jpg]

Slack lines, I think most likely as the last of the inversion works its way out. Maybe a bit of rebound / wake recontact. Hard to tell with the lens condensation.
[inline j5.jpg]

John Rocks!

He was one of the DZ kids at the drop zone I jumped at in college. His dad is one of those characters in life that if you haven't met him...you are missing out. Very cool to see him go from the grade school kid goofing around the DZ every weekend to such an accomplished jumper.

I got a kick out of the swoop alarms going off while coming down under 50 year old round reserve. :)