dzolloyd

African American Skydivers

African Americans? I hate that term Andy Rooney on CBS 60 minutes said it best: I agree with him...
------------------------------------------------------------
I am sick of "Political Correctness." I know a lot of black people, and not a single one of them was born in Africa; so how can they be "African-Americans"? Besides, Africa is a continent. I don't go around saying I am a European-American because my great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather was from Europe. I am proud to be from America and nowhere else

And if you don't like my point of view, tough...
---------------------------------------------------------
Well said Andy!

I hate it when people say "African Americans" out of fear of being called racist. Be honest: how many of us here go around saying "black people" instead of "African Americans"? *raises hand* If I ever use that term in front of my black friends they look at me like a moron.

And as for the actual technical correctness of the term, it actually is right. When someone says ________ American, they say it because they themselves were born in America, but their ancestors weren't. I'm Italian American. I was born here (my parents too) but my grandparents in Italy.

I know (and have jumped with) four African American skydivers. All four of them are white.

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:EXACTLY!!:ph34r::ph34r: You can't swing a dead cat in Florida without hitting an African American skydiver. Hell, the practically run the industry! As this is a site owned and operated by an African who previously lived in America, I think it's preposterous to use the "african american" term at all to refer to black people. Again, ones race, color, or creed has no bearing on whether or not they choose to jump out of planes or if I choose to partake of the activity with them. I am great friends with a lot of black skydivers. I am ALSO great friends with a lot of white African skydivers who happen to live in the USA.

Chuck

How many licensed African/American skydivers do you have at your DZ? Approximately how many black 1st timers per year?

What would you call a guy of swedish and japanese descent, who was born in Africa, and then legally immigrated to the US and is now a US citizen? What would call his granddaughter?

I guess I could call them african american, but I'm not sure what good it would do.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Brilliant as always!!!

The question has merit, as of the 2002 census 13% of the US population were individuals who reported their ethnicity as Black.

I don't see that 13% represented in our skydiving subculture, I don't even see 8% or 5% or 2%.

Our sport is very diverse in other areas: occupations, age, education, political affiliation, sex, etc.

Blind as usual. There can be other unrepresented minority groups around....

What would you call a guy of swedish and japanese descent, who was born in Africa, and then legally immigrated to the US and is now a US citizen? What would call his granddaughter?

Ask Tiger Woods...didn't he make up some sort of 20 letter long word to describe that ethnicity?

:S

I would prefer to call black people black. I only refered to black folks as African/American to try and keep my ass from being gnawed on by the world. Sorry if I offended you too. Hell, I just tried to ask a simple question about black skydivers in America and maybe get info to help the demographics of black skydivers in my area. Seems that some folks on here wanna stir shit about race and not answer the question at all.
GET SOME, altitude!

"What would you call his granddaughter?"
Is his granddaughter attractive ?
Sorry, I got distracted for a minute there. This is a valid question. I've noticed that in skydiving and in skiing black people are underrepresented. Both sports are a bit hard to get into. They aren't as accessible as something like mountain biking where you can just get a bike and get out on a trail. I think there's a considerable feeling of " I wonder if all those white folks are going to accept me ? " We get a fair number of black tandem jumpers, but most tandem students come in groups with their friends, so they don't really have to worry about fitting in with the regular skydivers.
By the way, my first jump was a tandem with a Jewish TI; Isreali in fact. And I know two African-American skydivers. They're white guys who came to America because everything's just better here.

Sorry if I offended you too.

You didn't, I don't think you are the one being mocked in most of these cases. But definitely not in my case - I'm mocking the hypersensitive society that's raw from walking on eggshells and concerned about completely unsubstantial things. (I believe you are sympathetic to my cynicism - based on your reply.)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

To answer the question from Lloyd...two & two. I've been to only a handful of DZs and have met Black skydivers at all but a couple, yet I've seen Black tandem jumpers at all. Race, religion and politics are very touchy subjects in the U.S. because no one wants to offend anyone or they believe they'll be a target if they speak the truth of how they feel...I'd feel more comfortable around a racist in a sheet, with a swastika or a black panther tattoo than being around one that wore a suit and tie, uniform or hid behind the church.
I decided to post here because I think we all are interested in the subject as reflected by how many hits this thread has received, yet only low percentage of those people have actually answered the original question, posted their opinion or responded in any manner at all. The love for my fellow man/woman doesn't stop at the color line and I believe everyone I've ever met on jump run feel the same, as mentioned earlier, we're all the same on the plane.
Another point mentioned was we do tend to gravitate toward those that look like us, true since the day of the fall of the tower of Babel, also true in the rest of the animal kingdom. So now, if we all could see past the color of others skin how much more diverse would our sport be? Well, again we have different cultural backgrounds that tend to guide our activities, the risk we will take and the goals we wish to achieve. All of which I think are equally important and above all, a personal choice.
America and Americans have been subject to much bigotry, oppression and unequality that we constantly battle to united as a people, hence to separation of types of Americans; i.e. African-American, German-American, Korean-American: not overlooking that only the Mexicans and Natives are the only original people of this land, the rest are all immigrants. One day we may live in a ideal world with no wars, crime or hatred. Til then... respect one another and peace shall overcome, one person at a time.
Let's have pride and love for our human race. Well kinfolk, that's my 2 cents, spend it wisely.

BSBD C-yaB|
O-kcsmm-aka-'tree
American Warchild

I have an african american (I really hate that term...

I also think that term is ridiculous.

So don't use it. :P "Black" has about 6 fewer syllables.

ANYHOO, the conversation a few posts back reminded me of a funny chat I had a few months ago in the locker room:

Friend (white): Are you skydiving this weekend?
Me: Yeah.
Friend: Cool. See ya Monday.
Me: See ya.

(Friend exits locker room.)

My other friend, who was also in the room, looks at me like I'm nutty...

Him (black): SKYDIVING? You white guys are crazy.
Me: Eh, there's a few blacks who jump at my dropzone.
Him: I'll tell ya, I've NEVER heard one black man say to another 'hey bro, you going skydiving this weekend?'

We had a good laugh. :ph34r:

I happen to think the OP's question is interesting, and it certainly has no racist connotation to it at all. I've also consciously noticed that while there are a few black jumpers, there aren't many. Having studied a fair amount of sociology in college (cuz it's so marketable in the job market ;)), I, too, find the question interesting from a sociological standpoint. And I think there's nothing wrong with benignly giving public voice to that curiosity. I've got a pretty sensitive racism radar, and it isn't beeping.

Why are so many barbers Italian? Why are so many parking lot attendants Carribean? Why are so many dry cleaners Korean or Chinese? Why are so many bar owners Irish? Why do so many 7-11 and Dunkin' Donuts owners hail from India? Why do so few black Americans skydive?

Deep, deep questions, people. Ponder them.

I can ask same kind of question about roma(gipsy)/piky skydivers.

I have not seen/meet any(yet).

funny;) we have 3-4 or on the DZ and i know almost 10... but i`m from romania ;) so that can explain

-------------------------
"jump, have fun, pull"

I have a funny, but true story. I was working down in Clewiston FL and worked with this one black guy who every time I would talk about jumping, he would love to listen to my stories and watch the videos, but his line was "There is no such thing as a Black Skyjumper." He thought we were all wacko.

I was also the Vidiot for a few CReW teams at the time and 2 weekends of every month, I would go to Z-hills to train. One weekend, he asked if I could drive him there, and he would have his cousin pick him up so he could go to Tampa for the weekend and he would drop him off on Sunday and I would drive back to Clewiston.

This particular weekend, they were doing 100 ways and I noticed 1 black jumper in the 100 ways. When he returned with his cousin, I made it a pont to take him over and introduce him just to prove to him the he was wrong when he said "there is no such thing as a black Skyjumper."

Mark Klngelhoefer

African culture has very strong family ties. There are very few loners. They tend to follow the family line and support large families. Which means if your folks don't approve you might buck the system and come for a tandem - but you're hardly going to make a career decision doing what your elders think is a bad idea. My dropzone is in central Africa. My biggest sponsors are "black". They've all done a tandem. Except for the one and only Dumi (who currently lives in the UK) we all go pink in the sun.:)
Rob-By
Check it out at http://www.skydive.co.zw Clicky!

Why are so many barbers Italian? Why are so many parking lot attendants Carribean? Why are so many dry cleaners Korean or Chinese? Why are so many bar owners Irish? Why do so many 7-11 and Dunkin' Donuts owners hail from India? Why do so few black Americans skydive?

Head over to your local university library and browse the history section. The answers are within...they're not all that mysterious.

Head over to your local university library and browse the history section. The answers are within...they're not all that mysterious.

Uh..you do understand the concept of an academic question, don't you?