Avikus

Short Term Skydivers

As some of us were stuck in the packing mat this weekend we started talking about random stuff. One of the subject was the Short Term Skydivers... Those people that come in, do their solo course ... make 5 jumps a "poof" never to be seen again.

Even tho I still consider myself fairly "new" (compare to others who have decades in the sports), I started to see signs of "Short Term Skydivers".

What Sign did you guys noticed?
Avikus - Packer and Jumper - Hate landing with the plane!

One of my instructors told me usually the ones who are naturals at it and breeze through the IAD course are the ones who don't come back the next summer. They say the ones who struggle and are determined to pass with however many times it takes to get their license usually come back. Not sure if that is what you are looking for.

Karen89

One of my instructors told me usually the ones who are naturals at it and breeze through the IAD course are the ones who don't come back the next summer. They say the ones who struggle and are determined to pass with however many times it takes to get their license usually come back. Not sure if that is what you are looking for.

Well, the point is that we tend to remember those "trouble" students better too.

This is a sport where most people are short-timers. Which is fine if that's what you want.
Remster

Arrive at DZ -> Jump -> Go home and post pictures on social networking sites = Short term

The difference from my point of view is that the short-termers see skydiving as a hobby/activity whereas the long-term jumpers see it as a sport/passion/way of life.

It's not for everyone...
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

Hmm I mostly see those who barely get tru their solo, because of time, never seems to come back.
Also, those that don't seem to want or have to motivation to try new things or too afraid to do so.
Also the one that don't socialize as easily.

That's a great question. One of my best friends and I took our first jump course together back in 2007. He ended up making 26 skydives but never completed his check dive to officially get his license -- one jump short of being a full fledged licensed skydiver. He came so close but never sealed the deal :(

Not so - you can be a long-term skydiver and not be totally obsessed with it. My husband and I both see this as a hobby. One we love, and one we hope to do for years to come, but it's still a hobby. There are other things to life, and balance is important.

He's been at it over 20 years, me, 5.

ILUVCHUTERS

Not so - you can be a long-term skydiver and not be totally obsessed with it. My husband and I both see this as a hobby. One we love, and one we hope to do for years to come, but it's still a hobby. There are other things to life, and balance is important.

He's been at it over 20 years, me, 5.

I've got news for you: he's hooked. ;)
Remster

DcloudZ

Arrive at DZ -> Jump -> Go home and post pictures on social networking sites = Short term

That I cannot agree more with! It's the same kind of people that wanna jump with a camera ... alone ... that has 23 jumps...

but I'm sure after 1 test jump, your video weren't just blue sky and (hopefully) white clouds with hands wave in front of the camera! But that's another subject...

And yes, Canadian invade other country to steal beer! True Fact!

You have to give up a lot to be at the DZ every weekend. Some people just aren't willing to give up most/all of their free time to only one activity.

I was, and now I'm at the DZ every weekend.

I gave up a lot of partying, clubs, Vegas trips, etc. because I think my time/money/energy is better spent on skydiving. Not everyone agrees, so not everyone stays.
Apex BASE

Bluhdow

You have to give up a lot to be at the DZ every weekend. Some people just aren't willing to give up most/all of their free time to only one activity.

I was, and now I'm at the DZ every weekend.

I gave up a lot of partying, clubs, Vegas trips, etc. because I think my time/money/energy is better spent on skydiving. Not everyone agrees, so not everyone stays.

Bingo...

I so wanna come see you, Grimmie!!

The first couple of years I was at the DZ every single weekend. Now i like to take the occasional weekend off :)
My first video on FB was my tandem, the same night I think. I still watch that all the time.

Oh Remster... you know if we come we'll bring our own beer, right? :)

The short termer's ask questions to validate their own level of commitment in the sport/hobby. :P

When you stop caring what others think of you... You have arrived.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Ron

The short termer's ask questions to validate their own level of commitment in the sport/hobby. :P

Nice :) Totally agree. This is true for most things in life.
There is no need to judge others because their passion is not the same as yours. Be happy they tried! What is life if not an opportunity to experience?
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

Some take to illegal jumping. It's a way bigger rush. The DZ's are cool, but too clicky for me anyway. I swore I'd never do anything illegal, but I can't say that now. Just your object, a couple of friends, no groupies, no whuffos, no attitudes.
Best-
Richard

DcloudZ

Sadly, this is me. :( But I've been thinking of skydiving every single day for over a year now. The thought of never jumping again...really freaks me out. I'm at the DZ every single day that it is open and nice out. I'm there from start to finish. I wouldn't and couldn't do it any other way.

Ron

Easy, I was just curious on what you guys thought on the subject. I'm more than happy that a lot of people try it. I'm also aware that it's not for everyone. The more people try it, the better the chance of having more people commit to the sport.

For myself I stopped caring what people thought of me when I sign up to do the Solo, alone. I did it for myself and not for anyone else I still stick to that train of thought! I'll show up to a new drop zone alone and just jump since I've always done this for myself, tho might be boring after a while ;) Edit: to jump alone :P

Easy,

The first response a joke.... Hence the ":P"

The more people try it, the better the chance of having more people commit to the sport.

This is a 'little' more serious.... Why do you care if more people 'commit' and who gets to decide what 'commit' means?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334