MakeItHappen

Comments concerning a Canopy Licensing System

You mentioned that Scandanavian countries, European countries and Australia already have similar systems in place.

In those countries, are those who ignore or violate the license requirements punished?

If they are, what are the penalties?

Who administers/enforces these punishments/penalties?

dpreguy

You mentioned that Scandanavian countries, European countries and Australia already have similar systems in place.

In those countries, are those who ignore or violate the license requirements punished?

If they are, what are the penalties?

Who administers/enforces these punishments/penalties?

As far as I'm aware, Australia only "advises" that people stick to a chart roughly like Germain's. DZOs can of course do whatever they want.
cavete terrae.

I am a mature adult and if I want to take my canopy loaded at .88 to a canopy course and then proceed to fly it until I have found out what it really can do, that's my business and buying a smaller canopy will just have to wait until I am darn good and ready. Of course if there were some goals and guideline in place to help me gauge my progress and some formal program that would be helpful.

grue

The problem with regulation is that it nessecarily has to account for the lowest common denominator. So those who progress more slowly end up holding back those who progress more quickly via these rules.

It'll be like being back in school, where the faster kids don't get anywhere near their full potential because they're being held back by a broken system.

We should learn from that lesson and not make another broken system.

I completely disagree. Just recently someone ran a canopy course aimed at learning to swoop at the dz. A guy did his 100th jump on the course - while jumping his big arse canopy.

If you are keen and gifted you'll learn to fly the shit out of your Navigator 220.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

nigel99

I completely disagree. Just recently someone ran a canopy course aimed at learning to swoop at the dz. A guy did his 100th jump on the course - while jumping his big arse canopy.

If you are keen and gifted you'll learn to fly the shit out of your Navigator 220.

that's a good point, I'll grant that. Hell, I credit my time as a static line baby under a giant fucking Raven IV with my ability to put the canopy down where I damned well please.

Nonetheless I still maintain that if they want to use a system where someone has to demonstrate ABILITY before downsizing I am fine with that. Arbitrary pointless numbers of jumps or time in sport or whatever, on the other hand, is stupid.
cavete terrae.

grue

Here's a fun thing to consider: It potentially punishes heavier jumpers financially.

I don't believe that is a valid reason to abandon the cause of making skydiving safer. Paraplegia punishes jumpers pretty badly - both financially and in numerous other ways.

Do you honestly think people won't pad their liebook to save hundreds of dollars?

Education is the answer, as usual, not regulation.

Right, but you have to regulate (ie. mandate) that education otherwise those people that need it most won't get it.

I believe that the people who currently sign up for a Flight-1 or other canopy course are the most forward-thinking, heads-up people. They value the education. It's the wild-card dumbasses who think they are awesome or too experienced to do a canopy course who are the danger.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

grue

Here's a fun thing to consider: It potentially punishes heavier jumpers financially. The used market for larger rigs and canopies isn't nearly as competitive as for the midsized stuff, and the prices often reflect that, or at least used to. I haven't looked in a while, but I can tell you that the groups on fbook for buying and selling used gear are populated with gear for 5'6" 130lbers

Have you looked for gear appropriate for a beginner lately?
Put a 170 or 190 Sabre2 or Safire or similar up in the classifieds and see how long it takes to sell (hint: think in minutes or hours, not days).
The reason "groups on fbook" are filled with "gear for 5'6" 130lbers" is because it doesn't sell as fast.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

nigel99

You'll also learn to master the skills acquired in 1st grade by spending 2 years there instead of 1. That doesn't make it the best path for every single person.

Just because it can be done doesn't mean you should force everyone to do it.

Education is the path to elightenment here. Stop TELLING people what to do and start TEACHING people what to do. Then it's up to them to apply that knowledge. You're not their keeper.
Apex BASE

Bluhdow

***I completely disagree. Just recently someone ran a canopy course aimed at learning to swoop at the dz. A guy did his 100th jump on the course - while jumping his big arse canopy.

You'll also learn to master the skills acquired in 1st grade by spending 2 years there instead of 1. That doesn't make it the best path for every single person.

Education is the path to elightenment here. Stop TELLING people what to do and start TEACHING people what to do. Then it's up to them to apply that knowledge. You're not their keeper.

Bluhdow for president! Well said:)
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

Bluhdow

***I completely disagree. Just recently someone ran a canopy course aimed at learning to swoop at the dz. A guy did his 100th jump on the course - while jumping his big arse canopy.

And most 1st graders don't think they need the next 12 year's of education either.:P
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.