vincenzo57

Questions Questions Questions

Can anyone tell me what a 'float exit' is, as I saw it mentioned in a post. I suspect it's what I need to do to perfect my getting out of the plane and becoming stable,as my exits aren't great. And yes my instuctor has given me guidance on this but I welcome any ideas if I'm struggling.
Also; what exactly is a brake fire?

Floating exit is an exit from outside the door, as opposed to poised or diving exits from inside the plane. The blue and yellow helmets here are doing floating exits.

A brake fire is when one of your toggles becomes unstowed during your opening sequence, causing your parachute to spiral.

Nobody's exits are ever that great just starting out. Just have fun with your not-great exits until they get great!

I think I was in the mid 30s before I had a really stable exit. We were flying around looking for a hole in the clouds and finally found one at 8000 feet. I'd been planning to grab both edges of the door, throw myself out and grab my ankles for some epic flips. About halfway through that motion I remembered we were at 8000 feet and I didn't have a lot of time to screw around. So I ended up just throwing myself out and going into an arch. This was the first time I really felt the relative wind trying to turn me to the left and I knew if it did I'd go tumbling, so I steered right and suddenly suddenly I was stable.

Once that clicks you'll be able to make stable exits as long as you're facing the relative wind. I still have trouble staying stable if I turn my ass to it before I get off the hill. I don't flip over anymore, but it feels very sketchy.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

excaza

Floating exit is an exit from outside the door, as opposed to poised or diving exits from inside the plane.

The term comes from when a group is of sufficient size that the first people to exit - those outside the plane - will need to "float up" to the base that exits after them.

Floaters float up to the base, divers dive down to it.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

There are also cases where floaters are not outside the plane on exit. Occasionally people will exit from inside the plane and still have the base behind them in the exit line up. They still must get back up to the base after exit, so instead of diving down to the base, they fall slower and fly up to the base.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

What everyone is telling you is correct, but in actual usage it can have some overlapping/multiple meanings. Sometimes the term is used for anyone that is outside the door on exit, even if it is a small group and they will all be "in the base".
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

FlyingRhenquest

I remembered we were at 8000 feet and I didn't have a lot of time to screw around.

You got like 25 seconds to screw around and pull at 4k. loads of time for "epic flips"
Jumping from a non-turbo 206 at altitude means i have lower standards than you lucky turbine dropzone folks for what is a normal exit altitude

On the brake fire...
You can have a brake fire in freefall, where the brake comes instowed and partly out of the container flaps, and flaps behind you. Could make for a very nice entangledment/opening.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

DHemer

***I remembered we were at 8000 feet and I didn't have a lot of time to screw around.

You got like 25 seconds to screw around and pull at 4k. loads of time for "epic flips"
Jumping from a non-turbo 206 at altitude means i have lower standards than you lucky turbine dropzone folks for what is a normal exit altitude

Yeah but I had other objectives I also wanted to work on for the jump.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I know this reply is not relevent to the intent of the OP question but I'd like to add to the description of a floating exit or the term floater.

A floating exit is one where your goal is to meet a base that has left the aircraft after your exit. The most aggressive way is to hang on outside the fuselage facing the relative wind, then letting go and "diving up" or doing a delta into the relative wind, with the goal of reducing the true horizontal and vertical distance between you and the forthcoming base. When you transition from the hill and if your still below the base then you may need to slow your fall rate to "float up" but the trick is to never have to slow fall, it is to catch the base on the hill by "diving up" If your too agressive it's possible to even end up above the base at the transition point. A good diver can be a good floater.

potatoman

On the brake fire...
You can have a brake fire in freefall, where the brake comes instowed and partly out of the container flaps, and flaps behind you. Could make for a very nice entangledment/opening.

Yes it can, done that!!
"You don't get many warnings in this sport before you get damaged"

TommyM

A good diver can be a good floater.

And a diver can swim past a "Good Floater".....:P
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.