alex09

sabre 2 or safire 2

Looking to get a 150 sq ft canopy. Either of these two. I fly a pilot 168 at the moment @ 200 lbs with all my gear. I free fly but also do some wingsuiting so I figure which would be best for that and still be able to have some fun diving it down when I'm not on the wing suit.

I've read every possible thread on sabre/pilot/safire comparison only to get to the conclusion that opinions on those canopies are far too personal to be considered for purchase decision.

I've put about 25 jumps on a pilot and about 20 on sabre2, both at 1.0 wing loading. Pilot is way more fun to fly, sabre2 is easier to land. Pilot has a much better opening characteristics than sabre. But this is what I've got from my very short experience. Haven't jumped the safire2 yet, but I plan to demo one soon. Only then I'll decide on my new canopy.

Next guy here will tell you something completely different, just like in the other dozen of threads on this matter.

-
"To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield"
Rob Gallo
"To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield."

I'm not sure the crossfire 2 is a similar comparison to the Sabre or Safire.

I love the CF2, but would consider it a more high performance wing that either of those two. It's fully elliptical for a start, not to mention that it's recommended minimum loading is at 1.4 rather than the 1.2 the op would be loading it at.

Without knowing the experience of the original poster, and given that they're not asking about other elliptical canopies I'd hesitate to recommend demoing one.

A dozen canopy pilots could fly the X-Fire and come up with 12 different reviews. From my experience, I think the X-Fire is like flying a Hornet. I haven't observed anything out of my X-Fire so far but sluggish performance, I've got 2 of them and there both pretty "doggish" flying a 1:8:1 WL. The only way I've got them to perform so far is by being really aggressive with the front risers. I'm not open to debate on canopies, that's another forum. What I commented about is based on my experience with this canopy.

I just got a safire2 yesterday (1.1 to 1 wing loading,) It seems to have a lot more glide than I'm used to out of the rental gear I'd been jumping, and some really sweet openings. It also seems plenty agile to me, though I've only been jumping rental gear until now and don't consider myself to be an aggressive canopy pilot.

I've flown a sabre 2 rental canopy as well and it is fun to fly, but I've had some pretty brutal openings with it. Oddly they both seem to be about equally as snivelly to me.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

alex09

Looking to get a 150 sq ft canopy. Either of these two. I fly a pilot 168 at the moment @ 200 lbs with all my gear. I free fly but also do some wingsuiting so I figure which would be best for that and still be able to have some fun diving it down when I'm not on the wing suit.

The only sensible response to this type of question is go an d fly them.

Nobody can tell you what you will prefer. If you're ready for a 150, then fly a bunch of them - Safire2, Sabre2, Pilot, Storm, Spectre etc, etc and see what you want. If you know the flight characteristics you want then narrow the list down a bit.

These "which is a better canopy" threads are essentially pointless.

I really didn't like the Crossfire2, but loved the Katana - but many people would disagree with me. Each to their own.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Well these are two of the canopies I've been flying a lot lately, though not loaded quite as much.

Safire2 189 at 1:1
Sabre2 170 at 1.1:1

My subjective impression is that the Safire is smoother and softer in turns with a lot more glide and the Sabre is a lot more snappy and aggressive and levels off with minimal toggle input. Some of this may be due to the .1 loading difference, but also I can bury the toggles on the Safire and hold them indefinitely, whereas the Sabre will stall rather harshly.

To sum it up

Sabre2 - more aggressive
Safire2 - friendlier

I would like to try a safire2 169 for a better comparison, but for me the flight characteristics of the Safire2 are preferable.

I have not flown a crossfire yet, but I am very interested in both that and the Nitron.
"User assumes all risk"