agrojumper

Pilot ZPX vs Safire2

There are a couple of variables that make this comparison tricky. Aerodyne measures their canopies differently than other brands, such that using the square footage for comparing pack volumes is not helpful. Then of course, there is the ZPX factor, not to mention the line types playing a potential role. I had a 190 pilot zpx and now have a 170 safire 2. The safire 2 seems to have a bit more volume than my larger pilot did. You should contact your container manufacturer and tell them what canopies you are planning to use.

So, Aerodyne uses a different way to measure their canopies than PD and Icarus? For example, a Pilot 150 will have different square feet than a Sabre2 150? Aerodyne canopies are "bigger" or "smaller"???

mjlaw201

There are a couple of variables that make this comparison tricky. Aerodyne measures their canopies differently than other brands, such that using the square footage for comparing pack volumes is not helpful. Then of course, there is the ZPX factor, not to mention the line types playing a potential role. I had a 190 pilot zpx and now have a 170 safire 2. The safire 2 seems to have a bit more volume than my larger pilot did. You should contact your container manufacturer and tell them what canopies you are planning to use.

agrojumper

So, Aerodyne uses a different way to measure their canopies than PD and Icarus? For example, a Pilot 150 will have different square feet than a Sabre2 150? Aerodyne canopies are "bigger" or "smaller"???

***There are a couple of variables that make this comparison tricky. Aerodyne measures their canopies differently than other brands, such that using the square footage for comparing pack volumes is not helpful. Then of course, there is the ZPX factor, not to mention the line types playing a potential role. I had a 190 pilot zpx and now have a 170 safire 2. The safire 2 seems to have a bit more volume than my larger pilot did. You should contact your container manufacturer and tell them what canopies you are planning to use.

a pilot will pack bigger than a sabre in the same size.

Aerodyne canopies are "bigger" than Icarus. A pilot 150 will have more surface area than a safire 150. A pilot 150 would be closer to a safire 170 in terms of actual area. This is important to remember if you are downsizing between brands, as you may be losing more actual canopy than you realize.